Dan Peterson, Right on Cue! Book of Mormon Possibly True

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: Dan Peterson, Right on Cue! Book of Mormon Possibly True

Post by _Meadowchik »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:Time to quit fighting the truth and go back to church and pay tithing, the Mayan Megatropolis is in favor of the Book of Mormon. :rolleyes:

If the evidence 'in the dirt' hasn't proved the Book of Mormon up to this point in time, I don't expect that it will happen anytime soon.

Millennium maybe? :smile:

Regards,
MG

If concrete evidence will ever matter, it matters now.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

These scans are interesting. That they demonstrate a population of maya larger than what was thought before is interesting. That they were more technologically advanced than we thought is interesting. I wouldn't say this vindicated the Book of Mormon though. But it does tell us there is plenty more to learn.

For the record, I'm pretty settled, perhaps not quite so as Kishkumen but close, that the Book of Mormon was written and created in 19th century America. But in some ways, I remain hopeful for my Mormon friends anyway.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

So are apologist going to continue to claim that these large civilizations were the result of white and delightsome Nephites or will they recognize the Mayans might have been capable of creating these massive civilizations on their own.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I think the uncomfortable truth Mormons don't want to consider is that it's fundamentally racist to imply a 'cursed with dark skin' population isn't capable of a full scale civilization, but rather it's the remnant of a White Christian nation that was destroyed by savages.

If that doesn't really underscore the mindset of the 19th century I really don't know what does. You had a country that was devout, fighting an 'Indian problem', and expanding westward. The Book of Mormon was an epic pitting White Christians against 'dark and loathsome' people. It was meant to resonate with the readership of the times. Joseph Smith just shifted the narrative from the British to the native population.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

Fence Sitter wrote:So are apologist going to continue to claim that these large civilizations were the result of white and delightsome Nephites or will they recognize the Mayans might have been capable of creating these massive civilizations on their own.

Daniel Peterson
“Ultimately, you see, there can never be proof that something that is true is actually false.”
Can there be any valid criticisms of the Church?

I think its safe to say that the answer to your question is that it will be business as usual. The likes of Peterson have thrown all their chips behind the Limited Geography Theory, which has the Mayan civilisation at its core. BYU produced a doco about 3 years ago that had over a dozen "academics" swooning over the amazing parallels between the Mayan and Nephite cultures. The delusion is breathtaking.

The Maya built their cultures all on their own. They didn't need Middle Eastern interlopers to drop in and help them out. At the genetic level the Maya are among the most intensively studied native population. They have no Middle Eastern DNA in their genomes.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Stem wrote:For the record, I'm pretty settled, perhaps not quite so as Kishkumen but close, that the Book of Mormon was written and created in 19th century America. But in some ways, I remain hopeful for my Mormon friends anyway.

Do you think it’s really important that it is ancient? Is it “game over” for Mormonism if it is not?
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist