Trump, Joseph Smith & "Fake News"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Trump, Joseph Smith & "Fake News"

Post by _moksha »

I could immediately see what McNaughton's painting was about.

Trump is demanding that the father scrape away the flower and then require the mother to wash away all traces of its existence, or Trump will cease restraining the poison asp and use Parseltongue to have it bite the daughter. All of this to make way for a military parade which will show the world that America is prepared to strike at those who anger Trump or mock the Brethren.

Mormon artists are full of complexity.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Gadianton wrote:I also think this is a great insight. I think things can get even more scary from here.

Once you've got the rhythm down calling "fake news" or "anti-mormonism" to anything challenging to your worldview, the need for compartmentalization wanes. One can, like some apologists, get so into the groove, that truth no longer holds any power. You can pick up any anti-Mormon book and laugh and show anti-Mormon videos at family home evening. In fact, like crushing a beer can against your forehead in front of your buddies, you can come to comprehend and agree with truths that are devastating to your faith, and deny them, like denying the sun at noon day. You can somewhat see how this logic works when bigots get together and intentionally make vapid arguments for a bigoted position that are obviously false, but that get laughs from the contingency, and the force of the argument becomes proportional to its stupidity.

Man, this kind of stuff keeps me up at night.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

cwald wrote:
Gadianton wrote:I also think this is a great insight. I think things can get even more scary from here.

Once you've got the rhythm down calling "fake news" or "anti-mormonism" to anything challenging to your worldview, the need for compartmentalization wanes. One can, like some apologists, get so into the groove, that truth no longer holds any power. You can pick up any anti-Mormon book and laugh and show anti-Mormon videos at family home evening. In fact, like crushing a beer can against your forehead in front of your buddies, you can come to comprehend and agree with truths that are devastating to your faith, and deny them, like denying the sun at noon day. You can somewhat see how this logic works when bigots get together and intentionally make vapid arguments for a bigoted position that are obviously false, but that get laughs from the contingency, and the force of the argument becomes proportional to its stupidity.

Man, this kind of stuff keeps me up at night.

No kidding, right? The beautiful about life is that every day comes with the new and surprising, the terrifying is that sometimes the surprising is a glorious turdbomb parade.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

It is so hard to catch a narcissist in real life, too. Usually, if you do, it's because your unenviable their target. Until you know the extent at which a person doing evil can appear good, it's hard to believe it's possible, and easier to doubt witnesses.