Suit dismissed against Boys Scouts and Mormon church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Suit dismissed against Boys Scouts and Mormon church

Post by _I have a question »

A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit that claimed negligence by the Boy Scouts of America and the Mormon church in the death of a motorcyclist who struck a tree cut down by Scouts in southern Utah.

Family members of motorcyclist Edgar Riecke and the defendants stipulated to the dismissal, which indicates they had reached a settlement. U.S. District Judge Jill Parrish granted their motion to dismiss on Wednesday.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which chartered the Fruit Heights troop involved in the tree-cutting, had no comment on the case.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/01/11/ ... lled-tree/

The Church pays significant amounts of money to avoid guilty verdicts.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Suit dismissed against Boys Scouts and Mormon church

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Yes, they do. So do the defendants in something like 98% of cases. I hav no idea how much the defendants collectively paid or who contributed what. But I’m pretty sure there were a number of insurance companies involved who may have not wanted to roll the dice on this one.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Re: Suit dismissed against Boys Scouts and Mormon church

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Res Ipsa wrote:es, they do. So do the defendants in something like 98% of cases. I have no idea how much the defendants collectively paid or who contributed what. But I’m pretty sure there were a number of insurance companies involved who may have not wanted to roll the dice on this one.

Understandably so. The whole incident is sad.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB