Thank You Dr.W for the Book Recommendation!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Thank You Dr.W for the Book Recommendation!

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Carlo Rovelli's book Reality is Not What it Seems, On the Road to Quantum Gravity is a book that Dr.W recommended recently in another thread. I am here to testify that when Dr.W recommends a book, it it wise to go ahead and read the thing. Rovelli's book is a masterful exposition of the journey we have taken in science for learning about truth and the universe.

He gives in really good language for we public to grasp, one of the niftiest history discussion I have ever read anywhere on how the search for Quantum Reality began (the Greeks, surprise!) and comes all the way up to our day, (and yes, it is yet another recounting of what we all already know, and YES, it was fantastically interesting, believe it or not!) and then discusses the significance of Quantum Mechanics for our view of reality.

This book is breath taking! The ideas he discusses are profound, yet he words things so well even a moron like myself can grasp what he is saying.

I cannot say enough good about this book. I absolutely love these kinds of books. If anyone here actually read Sean Carroll's book because I ranted and raved about it, and you too, found I wasn't kidding, then I promise you need to read this book and be ready to become amazed at his adroit handling of such a difficult subject, and some new profound insights and analogies that will make ya go hmm! Again, this is a premiere excellent book full of scientific scholarship without all the noisy showing off so many other authors attempt to do.

Rovelli has done a spectacular job of giving excitement to this grand subject. I am more astonished at the beauty, yes the beauty and greatness of scientific discoveries, and how they occurred. The genius of Einstein, Democritus, Feynman, and others is exquisitely demonstrated in everyday language that leaves you reeling with being impressed all over again at just how significant the quantum really is. You will be astounded at his discussion of space and time - I promise! His last chapter is over the top impressive and shocking at what he says. I just never thought of it that way at all. I LOVE SEEING NEW CONNECTIONS LIKE HE MAKES (no spoiler alerts, sorry).

Finally, let me just again say thank you Dr.W. I am a better informed man and much more excited than I was before about the value, the glory, and the fun and interest science is because I read this significant book you recommended. If I may ask gently, whenever you run across books of science like this that you really liked, please feel more than free to recommend them. I for one, will be very attentive. You have great taste on important and well written books. I have benefited tremendously. I love ya bro!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: Thank You Dr.W for the Book Recommendation!

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Bump so Dr.W can see this.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_lemuel
_Emeritus

Post by _lemuel »

I'm sold. Just got it.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Philo Sofee wrote:Bump so Dr.W can see this.

Glad you liked the book. I have gone back and re-read a few of the chapters more than once. Don't know whether Rovelli still teaches. (I assume he probably does.) If so, I would imagine his lectures are well attended.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

If he was to ever come around to my part of the world lecturing, I dang sure would attend it.
Dr CamNC4Me