It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Discussion of the ''DCP / plagiarism'' thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:20 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
There isn't enough there. Close, but not enough. First of all, conforming quotes to the Chicago Style Guide is not copying. You have to exclude those. Strings of three or four words or less, unless they are particularly quirky things, are merely "common" knowledge phrases. Certainly not one or two word phrases.

Your longest phrases are these:

Quote:
(1)In 1964, the Irish physicist John Stewart Bell proved mathematically

(2)In 1972, physicists Stuart Freedman and John F. Clauser published a successful experimental test of Bell’s theorem.

(3)publish the first widely accepted evidence that “spooky action at a distance”

(4)compared quantum theory’s prediction of entangled particles to telepathy.

Really not enough, at least from a copyright infringement standpoint.

I will note that phrase (4) does not appear in Radin's work. Nor does (3) exist although the only difference is quote marks. Nor is (2). Nor is (1). Your analysis is incorrect, at least from a copyright infringement standpoint.

Amen. Thanks for pointing this out.

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MormonDiscussions.com.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MormonDiscussions.com

Post subject: Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:21 pm 
God

Seriously, guys. Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MormonDiscussions.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:02 pm 
God

Jesse Pinkman wrote:

Give what a rest?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:12 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
<snip>
Jesse Pinkman wrote:
Amen. Thanks for pointing this out.

What he "pointed out" has been discussed and rebutted for several pages. His analysis does not agree with the facts of what I posted, as was noted several times, nor with the general definition of plagiarism; more specifically, it does not agree with the BYU code of honor, which applies to Peterson. Do you have a new or specific point to make that requires bringing up yahoo bot's refuted points again?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:54 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:

What he "pointed out" has been discussed and rebutted for several pages. His analysis does not agree with the facts of what I posted, as was noted several times, nor with the general definition of plagiarism; more specifically, it does not agree with the BYU code of honor, which applies to Peterson. Do you have a new or specific point to make that requires bringing up yahoo bot's refuted points again?

I had not read the entire thread when I made that particular comment. I hadn't read all of the debate that occurred afterward.

For the record, I just find all the threads about Dan rather tiresome. Plus, Dan is a friend, and I don't enjoy seeing him maligned.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:03 pm 
God

Jesse Pinkman wrote:
Lemmie wrote:

I had not read the entire thread when I made that particular comment. I hadn't read all of the debate that occurred afterward.

For the record, I just find all the threads about Dan rather tiresome. Plus, Dan is a friend, and I don't enjoy seeing him maligned.

Ok. Except that I haven't maligned Peterson, and as far as I recall, no one else in this thread has either.

Quote:
Malign:

to speak harmful untruths about; speak evil of; slander; defame:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:06 pm 
God

Jesse Pinkman wrote:
... and I don't enjoy seeing him maligned.

I think it's more a point of interest rather than an intent to ~malign~ his character. He's been busted multiple times for plagiarism and it's psychologically fascinating to observe the compulsive behavior.

- Doc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:08 pm 
God

Honestly, I'm just tired of threads that consistently focus on Dan here. I understand that he is somewhat considered a public figure, but the man did used to post here. And there just seems to be a very odd obsession about him that exists here.

I'm not saying that you necessarily fall into that category, Lemmie. I've just been on the board a long time and have seen my share of this. That's all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:14 pm 
God

Jesse Pinkman wrote:

*sigh* Jesse, your objection is duly noted just like it has been in countless other DCP threads. It's getting tiresome.

Please do us all a favor and stop piping up on every DCP thread and parroting the same objection.

PS If your friend treats you like crap, maybe he's not your friend. Just something to think about.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2012

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:29 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:

Give what a rest?

I think this a code phrase indicating it is time to bring up weight, donuts and WofW.

2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:02 pm 
God

Jesse Pinkman wrote:
Honestly, I'm just tired of threads that consistently focus on Dan here. I understand that he is somewhat considered a public figure, but the man did used to post here. And there just seems to be a very odd obsession about him that exists here.

I'm not saying that you necessarily fall into that category, Lemmie. I've just been on the board a long time and have seen my share of this. That's all.

It must be frustrating to see your friend behave in this manner, repeatedly. Going around to the people that are noticing the bad behavior, publicly posted by your friend, and asking them not to notice seems to be a particularly futile exercise.

Arguing that there shouldn't be consequences for bad public behavior doesn't really address the actual issue, does it? If you don't mind my asking, rather than just trying to enable him by talking to others, have you considered discussing the situation with your friend directly?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:06 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:
Seriously, guys. Give it a rest.

Give what a rest?

Tator wrote:
I think this a code phrase indicating it is time to bring up weight, donuts and WofW.

:lol: you're treading an awfully fine line Tator-- maligning donuts like that!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:13 am 
God

Jesse Pinkman wrote:

You think the biggest problem with DCP’s continuing plagiarism is that it is brought up and discussed each time it happens?

(Fence Sitter, Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20pm)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:59 am 
God

I think Liz is just virtue signalling to her Mormon frenemies.

- Doc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:02 pm 
Seedy Academician

I have a question wrote:
You think the biggest problem with DCP’s continuing plagiarism is that it is brought up and discussed each time it happens?

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:03 pm 
Seedy Academician

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I think Liz is just virtue signalling to her Mormon frenemies.

- Doc

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 pm 
God

Jesse Pinkman wrote:

I find them tiresome too, but some folks are obviously interested. Daniel himself is obviously interested. He would be exactly nowhere with no battle to fight were it not for his critics.

And I suspect that he knows it.

This board and it's critics are pretty much all he's got left. That and randomly emailing Jersey Girl uninvited when he's up in the night.

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:07 pm 
God

I'm going to talk to his Sunday school class for a second. Brothers and Sisters, in case anyone wants a simplified version of what Mr. Peterson is doing it's basically this:

And then he moans to his buddies at the local watering hole that the guys over at the VFW called him out for his bull puckey.

When you act like you did something that you didn't do, "created" something you didn't create, pass something off that wasn't yours, people think that's indicative of low character.

Mr. Peterson has demonstrated for decades, that he is of low character because he wears the accomplishment of others passed off as his own.

That's bad. It makes God sad. You should tell him to set the record straight, repent, and sin no more. That would be good. That is what Jesus would do.

Respectfully,

Doc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm 
God

Now, Doc, Brother Bo has his defenders. Some might say that his medals were legit, if poorly presented. The other dude, of course not. Textbook Stolen Valor.

Bo received quite a few votes here in our lovely Deseret back in the 90s or so. He's always appealed to more of the militia fringe, and those dudes aren't exactly into recognizing conventions. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:06 pm 
God

Maksutov wrote:
Now, Doc, Brother Bo has his defenders. Some might say that his medals were legit, if poorly presented. The other dude, of course not. Textbook Stolen Valor.

Bo received quite a few votes here in our lovely Deseret back in the 90s or so. He's always appealed to more of the militia fringe, and those dudes aren't exactly into recognizing conventions. :lol:

Well, his Air Medal with the "V" device and 25 oak leaf clusters is especially unprecedented impressive.

eta: I just noticed he's wearing MI branch insignia on his lapels. Good stuff.

- Doc

Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:55 am 
God

This picture from. Reddit was titled "Darth Plagiarist The Wise, Cheater of Tests":

And I was reminded of Darth Peterson's M.O. of skimming the Internet for answers he pretends are his own.

- Doc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next