Elder Nielson hasn?????t got a clue...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Elder Nielson hasn’t got a clue...

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I have a question wrote:
Exiled wrote:If you look closely at the missionary program and how it is organized, it really shows how lacking in faith in the message the leaders really are. One doesn't see the mission president leading the charge, knocking on doors. Who has ever seen an apostle knock on a door or make a street contact? They hide in their offices and blame those directly below them when the numbers don't add up, then each in turn blames those lower until it gets to the poor immature missionary. Why don't the apostles continually blast the airwaves with their testimony of the "name" of Jesus and round up leads for the poor young missionaries? Are they afraid they will be exposed?

That’s a very good observation.

When was the last time a missionary got a referral from a General Authority?
When was the last time Nielson went out tracting?

The paid leadership of the Church cosset themselves within groups of people they know won’t challenge them. Imagine the power of the Apostles spending a week a month doing the same missionary work they require of full time missionaries. Leading by example as it were. Of course, when they deliver no better results than anyone else, questions would be asked about their specialness.

This is what really got me every time I had to endure a zone conference where we were blamed for not meeting the outlandish goals set for us by the higher ups. We never saw our leaders out there actually leading in front, showing us the way. Instead it was a game of blaming from the top down and for sure it always had to do with worthiness (masturbation). I spent time in two different missions, one in the states while waiting for a visa and one in Brazil. In the states where there wasn't as much success, the mission pres was obsessed with masturbation. One would have thought that the mission there in the states led the league in masturbatory practices. Not surprisingly, the pres' son was finishing out his mission with his pres father because he had literally cracked under the pressure that his father had probably put on him along with the church pressure/blame culture that already pervaded.

Glad my son won't do that. Would rather he join the military as a rite of passage than a mission.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Exiled wrote: Would rather he join the military as a rite of passage than a mission.

At least you wouldn't have to pay for him to serve in the military (you know what I mean), and he'd receive the Post-9/11 GI Bill when he returns home with honor.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

He displayed a graphic showing figures representing two missionaries next to a block of 100 figures representing houses. A house in the center was colored in blue, representing a household with one or more receptive contacts.

“Their goal is to find the person in the blue house,” he explained. “They have to knock on a lot of doors to find the person who lives in the blue house. We’re trying to figure out if there are quicker, more effective ways now — especially with the technology we have — to find those people and teach them the gospel.”
Now known as The Blue House initiative...

“Their goal is to find the person in the blue house,” he explained. “They have to knock on a lot of doors to find the person who lives in the blue house. We’re trying to figure out if there are quicker, more effective ways now — especially with the technology we have — to find those people and teach them the gospel.”

Easy - to find the person who lives in the blue house, go to the blue house! (by the way, isn't that the job of the Holy Ghost - to direct the faithful missionaries to the blue house?) I mean, should that not be the quicker, more effective way?

If the HG knows which house has one or more receptive contacts, should he not tell the mishies to go to that house?

I have an idea - here's what the GAs and the Missionary department should do. It's a simple experiment that, according to church teachings, should be a resounding success.

Issue a directive to all members of the church (you know, the people who have the HG as their constant companion) that for a week (specific date range, not just any week) they are to:

1. refrain from bothering the HG with trivia, like help in finding lost keys
2. ask the HG instead to direct the mishies to blue houses

This directive could be given at the next General Conference, with the results to be published at the following GC.

The resulting upsurge in mishies finding houses with one or more receptive contacts should be astounding, startling, unprecedented, etc. (note to self: read a thesaurus more often)

Not only will this result in a bountiful harvest, but it will provide strong evidence that the HG really exists and is willing and able to help out with the work.

Of course, this will never be done. Why? Because the utter failure if the experiment would provide strong evidence that the HG really does not exist, and/or is not willing or able to help out with the work.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

I always felt like missionary work was a huge sales initiative where these kids are going out and basically playing the odds. An example of this would be...For every 100 phone calls, you get 5 appointments. Out of the five appointments, you make 1 sale. You ask the sales customer for contact leads to begin the process all over again.

As Malkie mentioned in his post, would this law of average technique have to be used if they were “guided by the spirit”?
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB