It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opioid addiction in Mormon communities....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 pm 
God

Quote:
One person dies from an opioid overdose nearly every day in Utah. In this heavily Mormon state, one addict-turned prevention advocate is asking the question: is the LDS church doing enough to address the state’s opioid problem?

http://kuer.org/post/being-real-about-o ... e#stream/0

He goes on to make the point...
Quote:
Ferguson became Mormon about two years ago. One of his biggest criticisms is that for all the money and community involvement of the LDS church, he says officials aren’t doing enough to address Utah’s high rate of drug abuse.

"They all kind of say the same thing. That it’s not really a main focus unless somebody comes to the bishop and talks to the bishop. And that’s the second problem, the bishops and stake presidents have no clue. They have no training."

I’m slightly confused. Why do members who have access to healing Priesthood blessings need opioids? Why is opioid addiction so prevalent in Mormon concentrated Utah?

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

Post subject: Re: Opioid addiction in Mormon communities....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 pm 
God

Utah looks pretty average in terms of opioid prescriptions. http://www.businessinsider.com/these-ar ... ers-2016-3

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:08 pm 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
Utah looks pretty average in terms of opioid prescriptions. http://www.businessinsider.com/these-ar ... ers-2016-3

This article is from two years ago and the ‘new’ report it references uses data from 2013. I’m not saying the data is wrong, but it is five years out of date.

Here’s the updated data:
https://health.utah.gov/vipp/pdf/RxDrug ... hs2015.pdf

Utah as a stare ranks 7th worst, in terms of the problem.

Quote:
With opioid addiction at epidemic levels in Utah and across the country, state officials are deploying $5.5 million in new federal cash as of May 1 to attack the crisis, partly by setting up or bolstering programs like the one in Davis County.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?i ... type=CMSID

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:24 pm 
God

You are citing the figure for total deaths by overdose from all drugs, not just opioids. Using the most recent data compiled by Kaiser, Utah was 12th in age ajusted percentage of deaths from opioid overdose. https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicat ... ath-rates/ It is entirely possible that Utah is average in the rate of prescriptions and above average for rate of deaths. The info at Kaiser also shows that Utah has high rate of folks without health insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:38 pm 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
It is entirely possible that Utah is average in the rate of prescriptions and above average for rate of deaths. The info at Kaiser also shows that Utah has high rate of folks without health insurance.

Agreed.

That health insurance comment is interesting. I wonder if that’s poverty related or do Mormons reject it in favour of priesthood blessings?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:30 am 
God

There are religious sects that substitute spiritual healing for medical treatment, but I don’t think Mormonism is one of those.

The health insurance numbers are interesting. Utah is tied with several other states for the third highest rate of uninsured folks. It has the highest rate of folks insured through their employers. But it has the lowest rate of insurance through Medicare and Medicaid. The low rate of Medicaid insurers may play a causal role in the rate of opioid deaths. That’s one place I’d start to look.

After doing a little more reading, I don’t think that first stat I cited is very helpful because it doesn’t account for dosage or length of the prescription. There’s better info at the CDC website.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:39 am 
God

This is a bit like drinking alcohol. Mormons could always order a virgin Bloody Mary, but they would be concerned about being viewed as Catholic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 pm 
God

Quote:
In this heavily Mormon state, one addict-turned prevention advocate is asking the question: is the LDS church doing enough to address the state’s opioid problem?

Uh, the answer to that question is that no one anywhere is doing "enough" to address opioid addiction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:01 pm 
High Priest

cinepro wrote:
Quote:
In this heavily Mormon state, one addict-turned prevention advocate is asking the question: is the LDS church doing enough to address the state’s opioid problem?

Uh, the answer to that question is that no one anywhere is doing "enough" to address opioid addiction.

certainly can't just blame the Mormons. they are likely just waiting around until someone starts doing enough and it becomes politically difficult for Mormons to not get involved before they start to join the doing enough campaign.

But in the meantime I know my stake president has mentioned the problem a few times and claims to be leading the fight against it. He also keeps telling us he's going to get released soon, as if he's excited to get released. Maybe it will be a Mormon who solves the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:10 pm 
God

cinepro wrote:
Quote:

Stem wrote:
certainly can't just blame the Mormons. they are likely just waiting around until someone starts doing enough and it becomes politically difficult for Mormons to not get involved before they start to join the doing enough campaign.

But in the meantime I know my stake president has mentioned the problem a few times and claims to be leading the fight against it. He also keeps telling us he's going to get released soon, as if he's excited to get released. Maybe it will be a Mormon who solves the problem.

But you’re forgetting that Church leaders have special access to someone who would know what to do, God. Why is He silent on such a big and damaging matter, when He’s quite happily weighing in when it comes to tea drinking....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:13 pm 
High Priest

I have a question wrote:
But you’re forgetting that Church leaders have special access to someone who would know what to do, God. Why is He silent on such a big and damaging matter, when He’s quite happily weighing in when it comes to tea drinking....

Nah...God feels it more important we get to choose stuff for him to get involved. If he does something then we lose our free agency and he frustrates his own plan like he did the devils.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:15 pm 
God

Stem wrote:
I have a question wrote:

Nah...God feels it more important we get to choose stuff for him to get involved. If he does something then we lose our free agency and he frustrates his own plan like he did the devils.

Why is the state with the highest concentration of Priesthood Blessing providers also one of the sickest?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:22 pm 
High Priest

I have a question wrote:

Why is the state with the highest concentration of Priesthood Blessing providers also one of the sickest?

Devil's working extra hard on them with elaborate temptations. But they're strong and fighting back. Don't you fret, God will win in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm 
God

Stem wrote:
I have a question wrote:

Devil's working extra hard on them with elaborate temptations. But they're strong and fighting back. Don't you fret, God will win in the end.

God is Big “Phar-ma”?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:36 pm 
God

Pretty sure stem is talking with his tongue firmly in cheek, IHAQ. I also don't think there is much to be gained by focusing on LDS priesthood claims when discussing real life health issues where the statistical loss of life rivals those from automobile accidents.

Mormonism doesn't provide a defense from this kind of addiction. The WoW encourages abstinence from certain addictive substances but since opioids are most frequently prescribed I don't think Mormonism is really a relevant factor in this problem either as a preventative or as a cause. Well, maybe it might play a role in why people who otherwise don't self-medicate might find a sanctioned means of making the hard edges of life a bit softer finding it appealing. I don't know. I suffered a nice little injury this year which required surgical repair and was prescribed a type of opioid painkiller for it. I didn't think I would need it because I have a decent pain tolerance but it turned out it made a difference when it came to being able to sleep. I tossed the bottle as soon as I was able to sleep through the night without waking up and frankly it was out of fear of addiction. I can completely understand how someone might find themselves needing them. It's scary stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:47 pm 
God

moksha wrote:
This is a bit like drinking alcohol. Mormons could always order a virgin Bloody Mary, but they would be concerned about being viewed as Catholic.

Freakin Hysterical. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:51 pm 
God

honorentheos wrote:
Pretty sure stem is talking with his tongue firmly in cheek, IHAQ. I also don't think there is much to be gained by focusing on LDS priesthood claims when discussing real life health issues where the statistical loss of life rivals those from automobile accidents.

Mormonism doesn't provide a defense from this kind of addiction. The WoW encourages abstinence from certain addictive substances but since opioids are most frequently prescribed I don't think Mormonism is really a relevant factor in this problem either as a preventative or as a cause. Well, maybe it might play a role in why people who otherwise don't self-medicate might find a sanctioned means of making the hard edges of life a bit softer finding it appealing. I don't know. I suffered a nice little injury this year which required surgical repair and was prescribed a type of opioid painkiller for it. I didn't think I would need it because I have a decent pain tolerance but it turned out it made a difference when it came to being able to sleep. I tossed the bottle as soon as I was able to sleep through the night without waking up and frankly it was out of fear of addiction. I can completely understand how someone might find themselves needing them. It's scary stuff.

Same here, man that stuff is scary good, especially if you have trouble sleeping.

Funny how if you drink coffee you can't go to the temple but if you are hooked on opioids you can walk right in.

What is it a prophet does again?

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 pm 
God

We need to remember that many people are in pain and that opium-derived medications and opioid-like medications are the best pain relief available. Some people get high on meds and others just get by from taking them.

I would hope that pain management will not be curtailed by over-zealous crusaders. Better to have them take up the banner against bare shoulders than to make others needlessly suffer pain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 pm 
God

Medical marijuana? Perhaps its time to roll out "zion canyon?"(My trademarked name for Mormon weed ... when they get their act together and legalize it for pain management)

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen