It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Missionary Numbers Drop Over 5% From Last Year
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:22 pm 
God

At the April 2015 General Conference it was reported that there were 85,147 full time missionaries.

At the April 2016 General Conference it was reported that there were 74,079 full time missionaries.

At the April 2017 General Conference it was reported that there were 70,946 full time missionaires.

We are now below 67,000:

Quote:
Today, the church has nearly 67,000 missionaries, the release said, serving in 421 missions around the globe.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/2 ... -new-look/

When will this bottom out? Are we just going to see declines every single year until the number of missionaries reaches 0? Strange.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2012

Post subject: Re: Missionary Numbers Drop Over 5% From Last Year
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:56 pm 
God

I tried to find sub totals for elders, sisters, and seniors but couldn’t find any. Do you know if those totals are published anywhere?

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:00 pm 
God

And under the shadow of the Lord's Apocalrock Mountain, Jeffrey Holland claimed there would be over 100,000 missionaries very soon......very, very soon. Oh so soon, the work hastens, the Lord almost twitters in glee and delight and anticipation of being able to come back again so he can set things right. Oh it's so soon, and we need all those 100,000 missionaries, oh how glorious it will be, oh the delight of seeing the mighty numbers and power in the priesthood with those 100,000 missionaries. It grows, this church so frickin grows! 100,000 is nuthing, that is just the bare bones beginning. The force is with us, 100,000 is easy peasy for the Lord to get out there doing his work. Yeah though I walk through the Mall of City Creek I shall spare no check less than 100,000 for symbolizing the glorious greatness of the majestic mighty force of Mormonism in it's 100,000 missionaries.

Well, you get the point.......

Science is not reliable because it provides certainty. It is reliable because it provides us with the best answers we have at present. And it is reliability we need, not certainty. The most credible answers are the ones given by science, because science is the search for the most credible answers available, not for answers pretending to certainty. Carlo Rovelli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 pm 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
I tried to find sub totals for elders, sisters, and seniors but couldn’t find any. Do you know if those totals are published anywhere?

Mormonnewsroom only lists the category as "full-time missionaries" and doesn't list any subtotals. I would be curious if that information is out there somewhere.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2012

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:13 pm 
God

Three years ago a man who claims to be able to see the future said...
Quote:
"We're projecting out probably within four years," apostle Jeffrey R. Holland told a radio interviewer, "the base-line number for the missionary force will be something around 100,000."

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php? ... type=CMSID
The number of missionaries has declined every year since he made that forecast.

A Church that claims to be able to see the future spent donations on...
Quote:
The LDS Church’s Missionary Training Center (MTC) expansion was built to accommodate the increase of full-time missionaries, said the Deseret News. The building, which has 200 additional classrooms, open spaces and new artwork, has 3,700 missionaries and trains in 55 different languages. The Philippines MTC was also recently renovated and a new MTC was constructed in Ghana.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... -work.html
The number of missionaries has declined every year since they started expanding the MTC capacity.

And that age reduction was Monson’s signature piece of his Presidency.

(Fence Sitter, Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20pm)

Last edited by I have a question on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:13 pm 
God

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

Mormonnewsroom only lists the category as "full-time missionaries" and doesn't list any subtotals. I would be curious if that information is out there somewhere.

I was able to find a percentage breakdown for 2013, but nothing after that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 pm 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:

I was able to find a percentage breakdown for 2013, but nothing after that.

Would the detail be faith promoting?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:30 pm 
God

All properly interpreted details are faith promoting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:52 pm 
God

I have a question wrote:
Quote:
"We're projecting out probably within four years," apostle Jeffrey R. Holland told a radio interviewer, "the base-line number for the missionary force will be something around 100,000."

The number of missionaries has declined ever year since he made that forecast.

Quote:
The LDS Church’s Missionary Training Center (MTC) expansion was built to accommodate the increase of full-time missionaries, said the Deseret News. The building, which has 200 additional classrooms, open spaces and new artwork, has 3,700 missionaries and trains in 55 different languages. The Philippines MTC was also recently renovated and a new MTC was constructed in Ghana.

Wrong roads dodo strikes again. What's the right road to increase the numbers wrong roads?

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 am 
Star B

A few years ago I lept hearing from zombie church leaders all about “the great hastening of the work.”

Now it appears there is a “great belt-tightening of the work.”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:53 am 
Apostle

Grudunza wrote:
A few years ago I lept hearing from zombie church leaders all about “the great hastening of the work.”

Now it appears there is a “great belt-tightening of the work.”

This stuff more than any other really reveals the lack of inspiration within the Church. The claim of latter-day revelation is no more shown to be empty than when ti comes to this.

I think the trends downward in terms of growth and health in the Church is across the board. Of course there is growth in Africa which is the latest bit of hope but it's going to all catch up to them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:00 am 
Apostle

I have a question wrote:
Quote:

The number of missionaries has declined every year since he made that forecast.

Quote:

The number of missionaries has declined every year since they started expanding the MTC capacity.

MTC provo was really quite lively and crowded back in the day when I was a mission. now I wonder if it feels rather empty walking the halls in comparison.

One might argue that the age change as simple and perhaps reasonable it was, might prove to be the Churches biggest problem. Since the change the growth rate of the Church has continued, each year in succession, to decline hitting historic lows in the two most recent years. The age change "revelation" might prove exactly what is wrong with the Church to more and more people, not only seeing growth stagnate, but people leaving more and more.

The Church really needs to make some major changes. I think changes will come but slowly. They might come too late.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:14 am 
God

Stem wrote:
MTC provo was really quite lively and crowded back in the day when I was a mission. now I wonder if it feels rather empty walking the halls in comparison.

One might argue that the age change as simple and perhaps reasonable it was, might prove to be the Churches biggest problem. Since the change the growth rate of the Church has continued, each year in succession, to decline hitting historic lows in the two most recent years. The age change "revelation" might prove exactly what is wrong with the Church to more and more people, not only seeing growth stagnate, but people leaving more and more.

The Church really needs to make some major changes. I think changes will come but slowly. They might come too late.

I think the age change was done out of desperation. The leaders can see that the nones are increasing and that religion is losing the argument. The age change was done to prevent kids from looking at the real world. The Q12 wants to have an unimpeded path from youth to mission to marriage so the sunk costs fallacy can take hold and keep members in.

As for change, the Q12 structure stands in the way of the radical change necessary to keep the church afloat. The narrative is unsupportable and so what can the church sell that people will want?

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 am 
Apostle

Exiled wrote:

I think the age change was done out of desperation. The leaders can see that the nones are increasing and that religion is losing the argument. The age change was done to prevent kids from looking at the real world. The Q12 wants to have an unimpeded path from youth to mission to marriage so the sunk costs fallacy can take hold and keep members in.

As for change, the Q12 structure stands in the way of the radical change necessary to keep the church afloat. The narrative is unsupportable and so what can the church sell that people will want?

You're exactly right, and your point is verified in noticing hwo the Church has talked about the age change since it happened, including in write ups about Monson after he died. The surge had ended about 15 times and the drop after the surge never went as low as they expected, after every successive drop. It was pretended the age change was a success the whole time, when observers knew there were too many problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:24 am 
God

At the April 2015 General Conference it was reported that there were 85,147 full time missionaries.

At the April 2016 General Conference it was reported that there were 74,079 full time missionaries.

At the April 2017 General Conference it was reported that there were 70,946 full time missionaires.

We are now below 67,000:

Quote:
Today, the church has nearly 67,000 missionaries, the release said, serving in 421 missions around the globe.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/2 ... -new-look/

When will this bottom out? Are we just going to see declines every single year until the number of missionaries reaches 0? Strange.

In the Name of Jesus Christ and by the power of the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood which I used to hold, I command you to stop with these lies and your misinformation. I know with every fiber of my being that you are attempting to deceive us with your biased distortions of the truth...Be Gone Devil.

And how do I know that you are lying to all of us....Because one of the Lord's anointed, even Jeffery R. Holland, has prophesied that there will be over 100,000 missionaries in the field by the year 2019...that's next year you fool. So your numbers and so called facts of declining missionaries can't be true....you messenger of the devil. Desist with your lies and deceptions. The church has never been healthier or on a better footing then today.

PS: The church is true

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?i ... type=CMSID

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka

Last edited by Craig Paxton on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:30 am 
God

Could you imagine being 18-years-old and this is what you're dealing with since everyone has access to the Internet:

On top of that, how many 18-year-olds already know that stuff, and have, in fact, already mentally check out of the Church?

- Doc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 am 
God

Well the good news for the church is now that Monson has died, his revelation lowering the missionary age can be be reinterpreted as a mere policy or even disavowed.

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 am 
God

Quote:
It became Nelson’s responsibility to sign 1,150 “calls” in the characteristic “white envelopes” to full-time missionaries.

Hmmm...1,150 mission calls in a week...do the math, assuming this is typical, 1,150 x 52 weeks = 59,800 missionary calls per year. The down ward spiral continues to get worse. This does not bode well for the declining missionary program. It's gonna take a real miracle for the program to hit Jeffrey's prediction.

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka

Last edited by Craig Paxton on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:40 am 
God

Quote:
Many had predicted the dramatic jump in the number Mormon missionaries during the past two-plus years — from about 58,000 in 2012, when leaders lowered the minimum age requirement, to nearly 90,000 at the end of last year — would fall back into the 70,000s by now.

As of January, though, the number was holding steady at about 85,000, and the church expects it to rise further.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?i ... type=CMSID

So the steady decline came as a complete surprise to the organisation that claims to be managed by Proohets and Seers, yet was predicted by uninspired nobodies. Hmmm. Why are anti-Mormons better at prophesy than the Church’s own Prophets?

I would love to know who financially benefited from the construction contracts for the otherwise completely unnecessary MTC expansion projects...

Last edited by I have a question on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 am 
God

Craig Paxton wrote:
Quote:
It became Nelson’s responsibility to sign 1,150 “calls” in the characteristic “white envelopes” to full-time missionaries.

Hmmm...1,150 mission calls in a week...do the math, assuming this is typical, 1,150 x 52 weeks = 59,800 missionary calls per year. This does not bode well for the declining missionary program. It's gonna take a real miracle for the program to hit Jeffrey's prediction.

59,800 missionary calls a year = 120,000 serving missionaries (they serve for two years).
The claim of 1,150 calls is not a weekly average. The article itself disproves it. Do they not fact check any of this faith promotion blurb?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:56 am 
God

March 2016 - Elder Nielson (the Seventy and executive director of the Missionary Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)

Quote:
“As that surge passed, we're now down to around 75,000 missionaries, which is where we think we'll stay for a period of time as that gradually increases,” he said.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... fter-surge

Whoops.

Who’s producing the forecasts that Nielson and Holland are reading, Brother Hans Christian Anderson?