It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Should Res Ispa be made a moderator?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:51 am 
God

cwald wrote:
No.

I don't have any problem with Res Ispa, but we need less moderation, not more.

Personally I think this whole "thread derail" complaining is getting out of hand. Let the threads evolve and let them stand on their own merit and i don't think anyone should have to spend time splitting threads including the DCP plagiarism one.

When you allow anyone to say anything anytime they want, the threads do not stand on merit, they fall under the weight of OT posts. The plagiarism thread is a good example. I was following it closely until it became overwhelmed with the OT stuff. Someone who wishes to create a thread about a certain topic should at least have the confidence that his/her thread will deal principally with that topic. Otherwise people get frustrated, stop posting on that topic and, in some cases, even leave. When you allow that level of freedom you are really not free to have a quality discussion.

Even free speech needs some rules.

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:59 am 
Son of Perdition

How does RI feel about Facsimile No. 3? That's all that matters to me.

Be sure to check back for changes, updates, and additions

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:08 am 
God

Yes. Res Ispa should be a moderator here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:23 am 
God

Yes

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 am 
God

RI's got my vote.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:53 am 
God

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 am 
God

I'm good with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:35 pm 
God

Seems like a fine choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:08 pm 
Area Authority

Councilor Ipsa, have you ever moderated a case to verdict in Telestial court? Terrestrial? Celestial?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:21 pm 
God

tana wrote:
Councilor Ipsa, have you ever moderated a case to verdict in Telestial court? Terrestial? Celestial?

I have moderated cases to settlement, but none to verdict. :wink:

I was a moderator at postmormon.org for a few years. That site has been down for almost a year after being hacked. Not sure if and when it may be restored. If it were restored and I was modding here, I wouldn’t mod there. The mods here are required to mod as a clone of Shades. I gave a lot of thought to whether I could do that before offering out help out here.

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:27 pm 
God

Shulem wrote:

I have a warm spot in my heart for fac. 3. Doing a research paper on the Book of Abraham changed the course of my life and ultimately led me out of the LDS church. It’s like a wise mentor who gave me life-changing advice as a young man. Without it, my life would have been quite different; the best parts of my life would never have happened.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Quote:
Dear participants,

It looks like the moderatorial workload is about to increase significantly.

Interesting, could you share why?

bumped, still hoping for a response.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:41 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Lemmie wrote:

He already answered--the extra work load is cleaning up your thread and the scores of complaints that have been made there.

It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:06 pm 
God

I made an open ended offer to help out if needed a few weeks ago. I learned that Shades wanted to take me up on it in this thread. If I can help out, I’m happy to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:12 pm 
God

Shulem wrote:

This^^^^^ Put a smile on my face

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:34 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Lemmie wrote:

analytics wrote:
He already answered--the extra work load is cleaning up your thread and the scores of complaints that have been made there.

Omg, i did not see that, thank you, Analytics, for bringing that to my attention.

Hey Dr. Shades I DID NOT ASK YOU TO SPLIT OUT THE PLAGIARISM THREAD!!!!

I only asked if posts could be copied over to a documentation thread. I didn't hear back from you on that, so I have begun to do it myself. I can finish that off myself, there are less than 70 documentation posts out of over 500 on that thread.

Whatever else needs to be done on that thread I have no control over, I already contacted the mods and rescinded my reports on page 15 once I realized JP had no intention of respecting my request to stop the foul language and talking about being "attacked."

From my end, dr. Shades, i DO NOT need you to split out the plagiarism thread. Didn't we already agree that that was not just a job, but a career?!!
From the plagiarism thread
Dr. Shades wrote:
[MODERATOR NOTE: Splitting this thread wouldn't be just a job, it'd be a career. However, if the original poster (Lemmie) wants me to do it, then she should send me a link to the first post that she believes constitutes a derail and I'll do my best.]

lemmie wrote:
Thanks for the offer, Dr. Shades, but I wouldn't wish that career on anyone!

I am comfortable letting the thread stand, for the reasons I mentioned before...

Dr. Shades wrote:
Whew! Thank you, Lemmie. I'm only human, so I was NOT looking forward to spending X amount of time on that later this evening. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:54 pm 
Son of Perdition

Res Ipsa wrote:
Shulem wrote:

I have a warm spot in my heart for fac. 3. Doing a research paper on the Book of Abraham changed the course of my life and ultimately led me out of the LDS church. It’s like a wise mentor who gave me life-changing advice as a young man. Without it, my life would have been quite different; the best parts of my life would never have happened.

You have my vote.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, please feel free to offer your opinion (1-10) about the jackal snout on the lead plate.

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48030

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:08 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Dr. Shades wrote:
Lemmie wrote:

Doctor Scratch wrote:
I share Lemmie’s curiosity.

Chuck Finley wrote:
Inquiry “thirded”

'Cause we moderators are about to A) begin the herculean task of splitting all on-topic threads in the plagiarism thread into Lemmie's new thread, and B) respond to all of the reports that the original thread generated.

It really is that simple. :-)

If I may offer a suggestion: I don't think the best solution here is the kind of "splitting" you are suggesting; rather, I would recommend putting the main offending poster on the queue.

That said, I support the nomination of Res Ipsa as a moderator.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:26 pm 
God

Shulem wrote:
Also, if you wouldn't mind, please feel free to offer your opinion (1-10) about the jackal snout on the lead plate.

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48030

It’s an intriguing theory. I think it’s pretty clear that the figure is supposed to be Annubis. The part I’m not sure about is the snout being carved off afterward. I just don’t know enough about the process of preparing the printing block to know whether what I’m looking at is what I should expect to find if the events occurred as you posit. I certainly see a snout shape in the carved away portion. But I don’t know if that’s what I should expect to see. I’d like to have an expert on this printing process take a look, or perhaps see the result of an attempt to duplicate the events as you’ve suggested. So, at this point I’d call it a coin flip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:21 pm 
God

cwald wrote:
Personally I think this whole "thread derail" complaining is getting out of hand. Let the threads evolve and let them stand on their own merit and i don't think anyone should have to spend time splitting threads including the DCP plagiarism one.

You make a very good point. Ideas within a thread do evolve and for the most part, any deviation could be considered as meeting the needs of the many posters on a thread, such as socialization or sharing interesting tidbits of extraneous information. These deviations make the board enjoyable and the thread like a box of chocolates.

Sometimes, deliberate derailings are included in the thread. For instance, Yahoo Bot, Droopy, or someone else will stop by to drop a distraction grenade into the thread and via Pavlovian conditioning, board posters will follow the grenade in an attempt to tear it to pieces with their teeth and forepaws. This grenade is so effective that it makes you wonder whether Yahoo Bot marinaded it in some anonymous pork drippings.

Last edited by moksha on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:23 pm 
Son of Perdition

Res Ipsa wrote:
It’s an intriguing theory. I think it’s pretty clear that the figure is supposed to be Annubis. The part I’m not sure about is the snout being carved off afterward. I just don’t know enough about the process of preparing the printing block to know whether what I’m looking at is what I should expect to find if the events occurred as you posit. I certainly see a snout shape in the carved away portion. But I don’t know if that’s what I should expect to see. I’d like to have an expert on this printing process take a look, or perhaps see the result of an attempt to duplicate the events as you’ve suggested. So, at this point I’d call it a coin flip.

Fair enough, that means you're a 5. I'm confident that an investigation will ensue and the church will take an interest in finding out more. In the meantime, I'm confident there is more to be learned by simply observing what we now know and see. Concentration is key.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next