It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New York Times Addresses the coverage of Monson's Obit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 pm 
God

Gadianton wrote:

right, this is what i was going to say after reading Cinepro's post. The LGBT "moment" for lack of a better word would make it political suicide to speak to nicely about the leader of a church that went to war against gays. This is partly because church leaders are idiots, and partly because they're caught with their pants down. I mean, even if Monson had wanted to support gays openly, he may have had a mutiny with the membership on his hands if he would have done so.

It's not just religions that struggle to keep up, they just have far more ground to cover and the LDS has an impossible chasm ahead since it went way overboard in creating the 1950's suburban white family as the revealed model for eternal progression. It's much easier to just allow gays into heaven.

A few years ago I had never heard of same-sex benefits from an employer, and now it's pretty standard as if no-one ever had questioned it and in the last two years, both my employer's had SS couples on the cover of the main benefits guide. And so it's not like the rest of the world outside Mormonism has had its arms out to receive gays, but now the moment is here, it's good press to get in the spotlight as a supporter if possible.

I guess the church leaders in the 50s thought they had it all figured out, and all that was left was to make a ____ in real estate to keep the ship moving forward.

They do mention some negative stuff about Hinckley starting about 8 paragraphs into his obituary.

Quote:
During his tenure, Mr. Hinckley faced tough questions about whether the church had muzzled critical scholars and about the role of Mormons in the Mountain Meadows massacre in 1857, when a wagon train of emigrants crossing the Utah territory was attacked. Under Mr. Hinckley, a church magazine published an article about the event and a memorial was constructed at the massacre site.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/28/us/28hinckley.html

If the first paragraph for Hinckley's obit had brought up the "tough questions" and Mountain Meadows Massacre, it would be just as objectionable as Monson's. If Monson's had waited a few paragraphs before bringing up Prop 8 and OW, then it would have been much more in line with Hinckley's and others'.

Again, no one is saying they shouldn't mention the controversial stuff from Monson's presidency. It's just odd that it needs to be brought up first when other obituaries bring it up later, after giving an overview of the person's life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:42 pm 
God

I agree Cinepro, putting the controversy in the lede is what’s jarring to me about the Monson obit.

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:43 pm 
God

cinepro wrote:
Again, no one is saying they shouldn't mention the controversial stuff from Monson's presidency. It's just odd that it needs to be brought up first when other obituaries bring it up later, after giving an overview of the person's life.

Res Ipsa wrote:
I agree Cinepro, putting the controversy in the lead is what’s jarring to me about the Monson obit

I suppose it depends on how one is approaching an Obit. If the approach is to start with compliments and work the difficult stuff in later, than a comparison between Hinkley's and Monson's New York Times Obits does show some inconsistency. But if the approach is to lead with those items for which the person will most be remembered, then the two obits are consistent. Monson, regardless of how a few million loyal fans wish him to be remembered, is going to be remembered by the rest of the world as the Mormon prophet who led the church during Prop Hate in California and as the prophet who claimed God told him to exclude children of gay couples from Church membership.

That is going to be his legacy, one of intolerance toward LGBT.

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:45 pm 
God

Poor Mormons. So lost outside the Morridor microverse and so deeply frustrated and unhappy about it. :lol: