What to expect from the next old white male Utahn.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

What to expect from the next old white male Utahn.

Post by _I have a question »

Two years ago, senior apostle Russell M. Nelson stared straight into a camera at Brigham Young University-Hawaii and confidently confessed to a worldwide assembly of Mormon millennials that social science research bothers him.

“I am less interested in what the experts have to say about you,” the LDS prophet-in-waiting told a Young Adult global gathering via computers and satellites, “than what the Lord has told me about you.”

Among other divine messages, Nelson said, the church’s hotly disputed November 2015 policy — declaring same-sex LDS couples “apostates” and barring their children from Mormon rituals until they are 18 or older — was a “revelation.”

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/20 ... r-members/

Good luck millennials...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: What to expect from the next old white male Utahn.

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Nelson seems to want to bring back some good old fashioned "revelation," a la Joseph Smith. I look forward to seeing how fast his "revelation" inventions can be falsified.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Exiled wrote:Nelson seems to want to bring back some good old fashioned "revelation," a la Joseph Smith. I look forward to seeing how fast his "revelation" inventions can be falsified.

I'd get a kick out of him if he starts spouting off in the name of the Lord and introducing some broken up King James attempted English as he does it.

"In the Name of our beloved Jehovah, ye child bearers who go gay ought not think it wise to let yer child be baptized, nor shall any bishop nor priest baptize a kid who has parents who sin against that which is natural in a fornication sense lest fiery balls of fury get tossed upon yer heads to your eternal damnation. And ye shall also cast out the parent, and calleth him an apostate, for he shall not dwell amongst you let he corrupteth my chosen, for thus saith the Lord of Hosts."

"A boy who turns 18 years of age shall forsake father and mother and fair maidens and go preach repentance unto the gentiles afar and also all maidens who fail in their duties to be betrothed or aren't fair when they are 19 years of age can go and preach repentance to those afar off as well; but she shall cleave unto the priesthood holder in her duties, lest she fall under condemnation, saith my God".

A couple of examples of what might have been if revelation was as it used to be.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

You ain't seen nothing yet. I'll whip this church into obedience. Obey me!

_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

What was the last "revelation" from our beloved modern "prophets?" They never say thus sayeth the lord. Further, they are trying to say now that revelation occurs by committee as with the family proclamation. Seems like an admission that there isn't any "revelation" except some mundane corporate committee stuff that they slap a revelation name to.

Regards,

Your humble apostate :wink:
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen