God

Heard of what?

- Doc

Post subject: Re: What is God?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:36 pm 
God

deacon blues wrote:

Interesting kid.

God is energy. I can go with that on a fundamental level.

Hey, he believes in God. That's cool. More than can be said for some folks here. :wink:

And he figured it out by age thirteen. Good for him. :smile:

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:04 am 
Holy Ghost

Max Loughan does say he doesn't believe that God is a person or entity (2:20) He says that "God is energy himself, well not even himself, Itself" You seem to miss the point, MG. What's interesting to me is that the young men is using reason, where 13 year-olds in the LDS tradition are encouraged to rely more on authority and feelings in the search for Truth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:08 am 
God

I believe God is the AI running our simulation.

- Doc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:44 pm 
God

deacon blues wrote:
Max Loughan does say he doesn't believe that God is a person or entity (2:20) He says that "God is energy himself, well not even himself, Itself" You seem to miss the point, MG.

Yes, I heard him say that. My thoughts simply went a different direction from his. God in our image, but a being of energy/light of some form or fashion.

deacon blues wrote:
What's interesting to me is that the young men is using reason, where 13 year-olds in the LDS tradition are encouraged to rely more on authority and feelings in the search for Truth.

This young man would be an interesting 'add on' to a deacon/teacher's quorum. :smile:

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:22 pm 
First Presidency

Makes sense. God in essence is conscious energy, or energetic consciousness, I AM THAT I AM.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:29 pm 
God

God is whatever mankind think it ought to be for them to be comfortable.

"The problem is most religions proceed to try and explain the truth and then insist that you agree with their explanation." Brad Warner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 am 
First Presidency

Philo Sofee wrote:

Well, if you look deep into the symbolism of Christ doing some major soul-searching shadow work - (and of course Christ is not Jesus’s last name but what he became & encouraged all to become,) the higher GOoD involves addressing the lowest, most uncomfortable bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:29 am 
God

God is a three decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce!

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:51 am 
God

Amore wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:

Well, if you look deep into the symbolism of Christ doing some major soul-searching shadow work - (and of course Christ is not Jesus’s last name but what he became & encouraged all to become,) the higher GOoD involves addressing the lowest, most uncomfortable bad.

Yep, made in our image and hopes for our comfort just like I said....

"The problem is most religions proceed to try and explain the truth and then insist that you agree with their explanation." Brad Warner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:01 pm 
God

It's whatever this guy says it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgoB2JMEowc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:17 pm 
First Presidency

Philo Sofee wrote:
Amore wrote:

Yep, made in our image and hopes for our comfort just like I said....

Not exactly. Jesus (and practically every other religious icon or symbol) can be interpreted different ways. Often, as you mentioned, they are projections of what one imagines and hopes, but there are deeper possible implications. Jesus being tempted by Satan (aka the evil aspects within him and all humanity) and Jesus suffering in Gethsemane (again for the evil within us all) - is not exactly comforting. Yet, it can be seen, if you look deeper, as a sort of spiritual map of what we need to do - explore our own shadow aspects so they don't mess with us and others without our awareness.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:23 pm 
God

Did Orson Pratt get reincarnated?

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:26 pm 
Holy Ghost

God is the Other, capital O.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 pm 
God

Meadowchik wrote:

Or the Nuther, capital N. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:07 am 
God

I don't want to crush anything going on here, but your skeptical alarm bells should be going off within seconds in. His invention claims are obviously not true and he strings together pseudoscientific, vaguely new agey comments after that. I feel bad for him, because there is someone exploiting him behind that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:47 am 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
deacon blues wrote:

Interesting kid.

God is energy. I can go with that on a fundamental level.

Hey, he believes in God. That's cool. More than can be said for some folks here. :wink:

And he figured it out by age thirteen. Good for him. :smile:

Regards,
MG

1 Corinthians 13 King James Version (KJV)

1-4

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:10 am 
Holy Ghost

Philo Sofee wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:

Some post-theists call God us, as in oneself when one has learned love and acceptance for self.

I call God a placeholder for the unknown, except I don't need that anymore. I've spent enough of my life immersed in certainty, now I am much more comfortable with limited objectivity than I am with certainty.

What's "Nuther" to you, Philo?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:01 am 
Holy Ghost

Philo Sofee wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:

Quote:
How the World Was Saved
One day Trurl the constructor put together a machine that could create anything starting with n. When it was ready, he tried it out, ordering it to make needles, then nankeens and negligees, which it did, then nail the lot to narghiles filled with nepenthe and numerous other narcotics. The machine carried out his instructions to the letter. Still not completely sure of its ability, he had it produce, one after the other, nimbuses, noodles, nuclei, neutrons, naphtha, noses, nymphs, naiads, and natrium. This last it could not do, and Trurl, considerably irritated, demanded an explanation.
"Never heard of it," said the machine.
"What? But it's only sodium. You know, the metal, the element…"
"Sodium starts with an s, and I work only in n."
"But in Latin it's natrium."
"Look, old boy," said the machine, "if I could do everything starting with n in every possible language, I'd be a Machine That Could Do Everything in the Whole Alphabet, since any item you care to mention undoubtedly starts with n in one foreign language or another. It's not that easy. I can't go beyond what you programmed. So no sodium."
"Very well," said Trurl and ordered it to make Night, which it made at once—small perhaps, but perfectly nocturnal. Only then did Trurl invite over his friend Klapaucius the constructor, and introduced him to the machine, praising its extraordinary skill at such length, that Klapaucius grew annoyed and inquired whether he too might not test the machine.
"Be my guest," said Trurl. "But it has to start with n."
"N?" said Klapaucius. "All right, let it make Nature."
The machine whined, and in a trice Trurl's front yard was packed with naturalists. They argued, each publishing heavy volumes, which the others tore to pieces; in the distance one could see flaming pyres, on which martyrs to Nature were sizzling; there was thunder, and strange mushroom-shaped columns of smoke rose up; everyone talked at once, no one listened, and there were all sorts of memoranda, appeals, subpoenas and other documents, while off to the side sat a few old men, feverishly scribbling on scraps of paper.
"Not bad, eh?" said Trurl with pride. "Nature to a T, admit it!"
But Klapaucius wasn't satisfied.
"What, that mob? Surely you're not going to tell me that's Nature?"
"Then give the machine something else," snapped Trurl. "Whatever you like." For a moment Klapaucius was at a loss for what to ask. But after a little thought he declared that he would put two more tasks to the machine; if it could fulfill them, he would admit that it was all Trurl said it was. Trurl agreed to this, whereupon Klapaucius requested Negative.
"Negative?!" cried Trurl. "What on earth is Negative?"
"The opposite of positive, of course," Klapaucius coolly replied. "Negative attitudes, the negative of a picture, for example. Now don't try to pretend you never heard of Negative. All right, machine, get to work!"
The machine, however, had already begun. First it manufactured antiprotons, then antielectrons, antineutrons, antineutrinos, and labored on, until from out of all this antimatter an antiworld took shape, glowing like a ghostly cloud above their heads.
"H'm," muttered Klapaucius, displeased. "That's supposed to be Negative? Well… let's say it is, for the sake of peace. … But now here's the third command: Machine, do Nothing!"
The machine sat still. Klapaucius rubbed his hands in triumph, but Trurl said:
"Well, what did you expect? You asked it to do nothing, and it's doing nothing."
"Correction: I asked it to do Nothing, but it's doing nothing."
"Nothing is nothing!"
"Come, come. It was supposed to do Nothing, but it hasn't done anything, and therefore I've won. For Nothing, my dear and clever colleague, is not your run-of-the-mill nothing, the result of idleness and inactivity, but dynamic, aggressive Nothingness, that is to say, perfect, unique, ubiquitous, in other words Nonexistence, ultimate and supreme, in its very own nonperson!"
"You're confusing the machine!" cried Trurl. But suddenly its metallic voice rang out:
"Really, how can you two bicker at a time like this? Oh yes, I know what Nothing is, and Nothingness, Nonexistence, Nonentity, Negation, Nullity and Nihility, since all these come under the heading of n, n as in Nil. Look then upon your world for the last time, gentlemen! Soon it shall no longer be…"
The constructors froze, forgetting their quarrel, for the machine was in actual fact doing Nothing, and it did it in this fashion: one by one, various things were removed from the world, and the things, thus removed, ceased to exist, as if they had never been. The machine had already disposed of nolars, nightzebs, nocs, necs, nallyrakers, neotremes and nonmalrigers. At moments, though, it seemed that instead of reducing, diminishing and subtracting, the machine was increasing, enhancing and adding, since it liquidated, in turn: nonconformists, nonentities, nonsense, nonsupport, nearsightedness, narrowmindedness, naughtiness, neglect, nausea, necrophilia and nepotism. But after a while the world very definitely began to thin out around Trurl and Klapaucius.
"Omigosh!" said Trurl. "If only nothing bad comes out of all this…"
"Don't worry," said Klapaucius. "You can see it's not producing Universal Nothingness, but only causing the absence of whatever starts with n. Which is really nothing in the way of nothing, and nothing is what your machine, dear Trurl, is worth!"
"Do not be deceived," replied the machine. "I've begun, it's true, with everything in n, but only out of familiarity. To create however is one thing, to destroy, another thing entirely. I can blot out the world for the simple reason that I'm able to do anything and everything—and everything means everything—in n, and consequently Nothingness is child's play for me. In less than a minute now you will cease to have existence, along with everything else, so tell me now, Klapaucius, and quickly, that I am really and truly everything I was programmed to be, before it is too late."
"But—" Klapaucius was about to protest, but noticed, just then, that a number of things were indeed disappearing, and not merely those that started with n. The constructors were no longer surrounded by the gruncheons, the targalisks, the shupops, the calinatifacts, the thists, worches and pritons.
"Stop! I take it all back! Desist! Whoa! Don't do Nothing!!" screamed Klapaucius. But before the machine could come to a full stop, all the brashations, plusters, laries and zits had vanished away. Now the machine stood motionless. The world was a dreadful sight. The sky had particularly suffered: there were only a few, isolated points of light in the heavens—no trace of the glorious worches and zits that had, till now, graced the horizon!
"Great Gauss!" cried Klapaucius. "And where are the gruncheons? Where my dear, favorite pritons? Where now the gentle zits?!"
"They no longer are, nor ever will exist again," the machine said calmly. "I executed, or rather only began to execute, your order…"
"I tell you to do Nothing, and you… you…"
"Klapaucius, don't pretend to be a greater idiot than you are," said the machine. "Had I made Nothing outright, in one fell swoop, everything would have ceased to exist, and that includes Trurl, the sky, the Universe, and you—and even myself. In which case who could say and to whom could it be said that the order was carried out and I am an efficient and capable machine? And if no one could say it to no one, in what way then could I, who also would not be, be vindicated?"
"Yes, fine, let's drop the subject," said Klapaucius. "I have nothing more to ask of you, only please, dear machine, please return the zits, for without them life loses all its charm …"
"But I can't, they're in z," said the machine. "Of course, I can restore nonsense, narrowmindedness, nausea, necrophilia, neuralgia, nefariousness and noxiousness. As for the other letters, however, I can't help you."
"I want my zits!" bellowed Klapaucius.
"Sorry, no zits," said the machine. "Take a good look at this world, how riddled it is with huge, gaping holes, how full of Nothingness, the Nothingness that fills the bottomless void between the stars, how everything about us has become lined with it, how it darkly lurks behind each shred of matter. This is your work, envious one! And I hardly think the future generations will bless you for it…"
"Perhaps… they won't find out, perhaps they won't notice," groaned the pale Klapaucius, gazing up incredulously at the black emptiness of space and not daring to look his colleague, Trurl, in the eye. Leaving him beside the machine that could do everything in n, Klapaucius skulked home—and to this day the world has remained honeycombed with nothingness, exactly as it was when halted in the course of its liquidation. And as all subsequent attempts to build a machine on any other letter met with failure, it is to be feared that never again will we have such marvelous phenomena as the worches and the zits—no, never again.

Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:54 pm 
First Presidency

EAllusion wrote:
I don't want to crush anything going on here, but your skeptical alarm bells should be going off within seconds in. His invention claims are obviously not true and he strings together pseudoscientific, vaguely new agey comments after that. I feel bad for him, because there is someone exploiting him behind that.

Please give specific examples (proof) of your claims. Otherwise it’s just your blind faith being pushed on us, assuming we’ll just take your distorted claims without any factual evidence.