Peterson throws Adam & Eve under the bus....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: Peterson throws Adam & Eve under the bus....

Post by _RockSlider »

Nightlion wrote:The jig is up.

Too funny, NL is introduced to the long debunked Watch Maker argument, presented by two bumbling novices and all of a sudden "the jig is up".
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

RockSlider wrote:
Nightlion wrote:The jig is up.

Too funny, Nightlion is introduced to the long debunked Watch Maker argument, presented by two bumbling novices and all of a sudden "the jig is up".

They only used the Watch Maker notion for a book title. The points made were direct and simple. You and the entire cadre of cultists have failed to make a point. How conflated and overwrought does it have to be? You got a point or don't you? All you guys do is say.....WE WIN.....WE WON. Will the cult call for a mass suicide when the leaders realize they are undone?
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

krose wrote:I’m somewhat confused as to how people mix in evolution as the mechanism of creation, diminishing their creator to a tinkerer who caused tiny changes over long time periods. That seems like a very inefficient, dumb way to create.

As the saying goes, "Slow but steady wins the race". Most likely this process got started on the older planets over ten billion years ago.

Whether in an organic soup enabling strands of amino acids to form or in a single utterance during a past celestial day, the emergence of life is impressive.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

moksha wrote:Whether in an organic soup enabling strands of amino acids to form or in a single utterance during a past celestial day, the emergence of life is impressive.

Indeed!

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Ceeboo wrote:
moksha wrote:Whether in an organic soup enabling strands of amino acids to form or in a single utterance during a past celestial day, the emergence of life is impressive.

Indeed!

Peace,
Ceeboo

and that soup can make whale out of raccoon...

god's ways are not our ways - didn't you forget ?
god's way is going for a camel to go through a needle's eye

Matt 19:24, Mark 10:25, Luke 18:25

whales... little things compared to raccoons...
.Image.
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

honorentheos wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:Purpose is only what you make it.

That is a "hard truth". If you choose to go that direction.

But if one chooses to believe in a creator/God, then meaningful purpose enters into the picture. And that hard truth of nihilism, which I think you're referring to, becomes less of a threat.

LOL! From your example here, I think you would enjoy my Mormonism and the Matrix thread.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _mentalgymnast »

deacon blues wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:This is all fine and good...as far as it goes...but the problem I see with this is that it simply excises/cuts out any meaningful "purpose" from in the universe. Purpose is only what you make it.

I think MG is suggesting there is only one true "purpose", and that is to become like God. Purposes such as "learning to love", or "pursuing truth" could be nice but, but ultimately dissatisfying. But I could be wrong.

Purpose constructed/formulated by humans is just that. Whatever it might be. Hundreds, if not thousands, of directions you can go with this. However, if there is a creator/God then the universe itself has purpose inherent to its creation. And from the LDS perspective (believing that this plan/purpose has been revealed by God) the eventual and progressive evolution of sentient beings towards greater light and knowledge...and carrying that with them into an ongoing purposeful existence beyond the grave.

And sure, granted, this could be just one more 'anti' death wish/narrative from the perspective of those that don't see any evidence for or reason to believe in God.

The million dollar question is whether or not there is or isn't any purpose beyond that which we as humans construct/formulate from our own minds. I place my bet on the hope/thinking that there is.

Regards,
MG