It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: President Monson has died
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:43 am 
God

Water Dog wrote:

I noticed that Water Dog has since bowed out of the thread and deleted all his posts. I'm sure he had his reasons for doing that. One can only guess what they might be.

:confused:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:50 am 
Savior (mortal ministry)

Shulem wrote:
Water Dog wrote:

I noticed that Water Dog has since bowed out of the thread and deleted all his posts. I'm sure he had his reasons for doing that. One can only guess what they might be.

Oh good grief. Might notice I always do that. Thread seemed over. Is there more?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:54 am 
God

Shulem wrote:
Water Dog wrote:

Apparently, Water Dog has been busy deleting virtually every post he's made on this discussion board. I guess this means he's taking back what he said -- not wanting to stand by what he said.

One can only guess what his reasons are for taking this extreme action. There was a another poster who did the exact same thing. Can't remember the name.

:question:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:56 am 
God

Water Dog wrote:
Oh good grief. Might notice I always do that. Thread seemed over. Is there more?

What sort of grief caused you to do that? Explain your actions, please.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:05 am 
Deacon

Water Dog wrote:

I for one don’t think you should wipe your contributions to any thread. Just let them stand. I noticed last night you had done this in another forum and didn’t think much of it, but now you’re doing it here too. I did that only one time on another board where I had been posting under my real name, and wiped posts as part of my exit. I don’t see a need for you to wipe your posts, let alone exit MoDisc.

Besides, it arguably ruins the threads for people who come along after the fact and try to read them. Responses without quoting your original remarks are out of context.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:14 am 
Savior (mortal ministry)

Shulem wrote:

Huh? Shulem, I'm just not in the mood for troll dance this morning. I scrub comment history. Don't act like it's about you or some sign of debate victory. I'm still unconvinced that Monson was guilty of holocaust-like violence against gays.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:14 am 
Savior (mortal ministry)

dup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:23 am 
God

Water Dog wrote:
Shulem wrote:

Huh? Shulem, I'm just not in the mood for troll dance this morning. I scrub comment history. Don't act like it's about you or some sign of debate victory. I'm still unconvinced that Monson was guilty of holocaust-like violence against gays.

So you're unwilling to explain yourself. I get that. You don't want to share your reasons why your comments give you grief.

I'm not interested in debating this with you. I'm curious about your reasons for taking this action. Only you know the real answer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:23 am 
Savior (mortal ministry)

Chuck Finley wrote:
Water Dog wrote:

I for one don’t think you should wipe your contributions to any thread. Just let them stand. I noticed last night you had done this in another forum and didn’t think much of it, but now you’re doing it here too. I did that only one time on another board where I had been posting under my real name, and wiped posts as part of my exit. I don’t see a need for you to wipe your posts, let alone exit MoDisc.

Besides, it arguably ruins the threads for people who come along after the fact and try to read them. Responses without quoting your original remarks are out of context.

Well, people.

Some stuff doesn't need to live on the internet forever. I'm not the same person today when I started around here years ago. My thinking is so different sometimes I don't recognize myself. And I've just started.

But at times people would dig up old comments and try to use them against me. Or comments that weren't meant to be serious come across in a very bad way when looked at out of context from when the original discussion took place. And there was an incident I won't share that made me nervous a while back. There are some real psychos.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:27 am 
God

Chuck Finley wrote:
Water Dog wrote:

Admittedly he has every right and the freedom to do what he wants with his own posts. He can change his words or delete them at will. It's very disruptive to the continuity of a thread when one elects do nuke their own words. To me, it is the mark of a coward but I can't answer for Water Dog's reasons. I can only guess and draw my own conclusions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:34 am 
God

Water Dog wrote:
Well, people.

Some stuff doesn't need to live on the internet forever. I'm not the same person today when I started around here years ago. My thinking is so different sometimes I don't recognize myself. And I've just started.

But at times people would dig up old comments and try to use them against me. Or comments that weren't meant to be serious come across in a very bad way when looked at out of context from when the original discussion took place. And there was an incident I won't share that made me nervous a while back. There are some real psychos.

I get what you're saying and now have a better understanding of where you are coming from and hence your personality. I guess all of us are in this boat together. I've said some pretty nasty stuff on this board over the years and have edited a few things but most of it remains. I said it. People heard it. So, there it is. It was me at the time.

Imagine though, if everyone went back and deleted their posts! The remains would be only a shell. I think it takes real courage to simply let our words stand and watch ourselves grow and change. I think that is not your strong suit but you're strong in other areas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:40 am 
Savior (mortal ministry)

I've let stuff live for a long time. It's a shame how one jackass can ruin things. It's not like this is some profound thread though that deserves to be passed down through the generations. If I felt like it was I'd leave the comments there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:47 am 
Deacon

Water Dog wrote:
I've let stuff live for a long time. It's a shame how one jackass can ruin things. It's not like this is some profound thread though that deserves to be passed down through the generations. If I felt like it was I'd leave the comments there.

Please note I sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:49 am 
Deacon

Incidentally, I don’t think the thread is done, but yes perhaps the aversion therapy part of it. There may be lurkers or posters who will contribute but just haven’t logged in yet or haven’t sorted their thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:26 pm 
God

Well I always enjoyed Monson's talks growing up. He was a good speaker, told good stories and so on though most the storied aggrandize his own service to others. I recall as I gew older it seemed boastful and not in the spirit of what the New Testament thought about service.

The Church;s hard-line stance Stygian gay marriage and the horrific policy about family members of gay couple came out under him though I think the new 'prophet" was behind that really,

Still I will miss him. In his world view and space I think he was a decent man,.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:21 pm 
Deacon

Sad to report no good stories came out of open mic Sunday today. Sorry guys, the best my wife was reported was just about how a lot of people tried really hard to work in their stories of how they met Monson one time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 am 
the very elect

Water Dog wrote:

Perhaps you are concerned someone close to you IRL might read your posts and see you "losing your continence" over the past 1-2 years?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:14 am 
God

Water Dog wrote:
Well, people.

You know what I "came up" on a board that was cutthroat. If a poster were to remove their entire post, they'd pay hell for it and even in some cases if they simply edited the post after it went up, they'd hear about it in terms of how intellectually dishonest or cowardly they were.

I no longer give a damn. I don't typically remove my posts but I have removed a few here and there since I returned to posting. I can see where you're coming from. If you don't want certain posts to stand for eternity feel free to yank them. Who are any of us to tell you otherwise?

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:21 am 
God

Chuck Finley wrote:
Sad to report no good stories came out of open mic Sunday today. Sorry guys, the best my wife was reported was just about how a lot of people tried really hard to work in their stories of how they met Monson one time.

What could they say?
Funding electro shock therapy, secretly funding Prop 8, barring kids from baptism unless they denounce their parents, publishing testimony damaging essays because the truth was already out there, excommunicating people with questions, are not exactly faith promoting when included in a testimony. His actual modus operandi behind the scenes day-to-day shows his public persona was simply that, a persona.

His one (deliberate) signature piece was the missionary age reduction. This was the desperate act of a President who knew he didn’t have much longer to live and who realised his Presidency wouldn’t be remembered for anything of note. The age reduction decision was purely an ego piece. It’s amounted to absolutely nothing of value other than a quick bubble that probably massaged his own ego. I’m happy he lived long enough to see even that fail.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:50 am 
God

Chuck Finley wrote:

LOL, that is exactly what my wife reported also!

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:30 pm 
God

Fence Sitter wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:

LOL, that is exactly what my wife reported also!

Perhaps you and Chuck are married to the same woman? :surprised:

Peace,
Ceeboo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next