It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: President Monson has died
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:52 pm 
God

fetchface wrote:
I have been noticing that my TBM wife is increasingly critical of church leaders. I don't try to pull her from the church anymore but part of me hopes that Nelson gets kind of crazy. Things have been getting better since she seems to have lost the belief that every little thing that apostles/prophets do is necessarily backed by God. I get the feeling that if the church veers further in the direction of fundamentalism, my wife may just let it go. Or maybe not, maybe I'm misreading it.

I'm interested to see what happens next. The status-quo was getting pretty boring.

This all sounds like good news and the path for your TBM wife to leave the church is widening.

:smile:

"I do admit Joseph Smith faked the facsimile translation. . . Facsimiles. . . lies"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 pm 
God

Water Dog wrote:
At any rate, their "apparatus" consists of a 9V battery stepped up to ~70V with a transformer and potentiometer for adjustments, delivering a very low current ~300 mA at max levels. At low levels the shocks are described as imperceptibly weak, unbearable at maximum. And in this case at least, administered to the arm. They used this stuff to treat fetishism, obsessional rumination, smoking, writer's cramp, alcoholism, and obesity.

fetchface wrote:
It is backed by fairly complete ignorance of the shock apparatus on your part.

Huh?

Wrong. Much obliged for you proving my point for me. You grabbed info on a different apparatus. Read the McBride paper from BYU. It is a 1600V shock at unspecified current.

My basis for calling it torture is that it involves shocking genitals, nothing more. I just consider it axiomatic that painfully shocking genitals is torture. Feel free to disagree I guess.

And lol on your post above. There is something deliciously funny about being called histrionic in the most histrionic post I have ever seen.

As for your question: How are you ignorant and I not? I'll let you figure that one out. Let me know if you need any help.

ETA: Just read more of that apparatus description you linked. 300mA is the draw from the 9V battery, you silly man! 300mA through flesh would cook the meat in short order.

Last edited by fetchface on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:58 pm 
1st Quorum of Seventy

Last edited by Water Dog on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:05 pm 
God

Water Dog wrote:
The papers are published in the journals for crying out loud, so idiotic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 1-0043.pdf

you do realize that is a paper written in 1964, right?

How about looking at a more recent overview, such as this one from 2013:
Quote:
The most common treatment used in a bid to cure such individuals was aversion therapy with electrical shock or apomorphine to induce vomiting (Smith, King and Bartlett 2004; Dickinson et al. 2012). Patients who received this treatment reflected on it as ‘barbaric’; some thought they were ‘going to die’, while others recalled ‘the excruciating pain’ of the electric shocks (Dickinson et al. 2012, 1349).
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 12044/full

Google scholar is a great resource.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:05 pm 
God

Shulem wrote:
This all sounds like good news and the path for your TBM wife to leave the church is widening.

The church is a minimal nuisance at this point in my life. I just really worry about what kinds of stupid baggage my kids are picking up while there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:09 pm 
God

Water Dog wrote:
Anyway their "apparatus" consists of a 9V battery stepped up to ~70V with a transformer and potentiometer for adjustments, delivering a very low current ~300 mA at max levels. At low levels the shocks are described as imperceptibly weak, unbearable at maximum. And in this case at least, administered to the arm. They used this stuff to treat fetishism, obsessional rumination, smoking, writer's cramp, alcoholism, and obesity.

Water Dog are you some kind of dominatrix or maybe worked in Guantanamo, Cuba? :surprised: I doubt it! And for as funny I find all this, the thread should be about the passing of Monson. I think the subject of genital electrocution deserves its own thread.

2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:12 pm 
1st Quorum of Seventy

Last edited by Water Dog on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:15 pm 
God

Water Dog wrote:

Lemmie wrote:
So you popped a zit, and THAT is your "intense pain story"?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, waterdog, I will be laughing over this for the entire weekend.

No, this was something different. More like I gave myself a piercing....

Not a chance, you wimp, not a chance. You popped a zit. Baby.

Tator wrote:
And for as funny I find all this, the thread should be about the passing of Monson. I think the subject of genital electrocution deserves its own thread.
You are absolutely right, Tator. As soon as I stop laughing over Water Dog equating his manly zit-popping to a piercing, I will return to the topic with the seriousness it deserves. ...You'll have to give me a minute.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:25 pm 
1st Quorum of Seventy

Last edited by Water Dog on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:34 pm 
Deacon

Madison54 wrote:
Monson’s passing will have little affect, IMO. He wasn’t running things for quite a while.

He also doesn’t have much of a legacy (at least a positive one).

I asked a TBM family member about the most significant thing Monsondid as prophet. First answer: care for widows. When I noted that was more a career-wide emphasis and asked for a presidency-specific one, she cited the lowering of the missionary age. That’s not much impact, in my opinion, from the leader of a global church, a man who receives direct revelation from God in a manner supposedly unlike any other religion. Continuing revelation ain’t what it used to be, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:41 pm 
2nd Counselor

Chuck Finley wrote:
Madison54 wrote:
Monson’s passing will have little affect, IMO. He wasn’t running things for quite a while.

He also doesn’t have much of a legacy (at least a positive one).

I asked a TBM family member about the most significant thing Monsondid as prophet. First answer: care for widows. When I noted that was more a career-wide emphasis and asked for a presidency-specific one, she cited the lowering of the missionary age. That’s not much impact, in my opinion, from the leader of a global church, a man who receives direct revelation from God in a manner supposedly unlike any other religion. Continuing revelation ain’t what it used to be, I guess.

To many years following and executing President Hinckley's plans and policies. Not much free time to create an personal agenda.

Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:02 pm 
1st Quorum of Seventy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:37 pm 
God

Water Dog wrote:
No, this was something different. More like I gave myself a piercing. I'll spare people including the image here...

You should never ever try piercing your own genitals. Even if voices are telling you to do this, just scream NO!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:56 pm 
God

moksha wrote:
Water Dog wrote:
No, this was something different. More like I gave myself a piercing. I'll spare people including the image here...

You should never ever try piercing your own genitals. Even if voices are telling you to do this, just scream NO!

:lol: Stand down, penguin King. His imagination had to fill in for the pain of the popping, and to make his story look good. An actual piercing was never an option!

Just joshing ya, Water Dog. But if popping a zit in your special place qualifies as seriously intense pain, then surely you can see why the aversion therapy being discussed here might be referred to as torture.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:01 pm 
God

Water Dog wrote:
Monson was not a barbarian for going along with medical research that was cutting edge at the time.

You just don't get it. It wasn't Monson so much that went along with bad medical research that was supposedly cutting edge! It was the God of the prophets, seers, and revelators. It was Jesus Christ leading them. It was the Holy Ghost whispering sweet little lies into their ears. Dumb Holy Ghost -- fool of a ghost.

Prophets, seers, revelators, God, Jesus, and Holy Ghost are all wrong. Go not after them.

"I do admit Joseph Smith faked the facsimile translation. . . Facsimiles. . . lies"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:30 pm 
1st Quorum of Seventy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:26 pm 
God

Here's a RFM thread with videos discussing electroshock therapy:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,13104

I think what's being brushed aside is the fact that Mormons are raised to be very compliant to authority. I could easily see a younger me succumbing to this kind of direction had an authority figure urged me to comply. The sort of hurr hurr way this is being discussed is a bit eye opening to me.

- Doc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:36 am 
Deacon

fetchface wrote:
I have a question wrote:
Do you remember when this thread was about Monson...

Pepperidge Farm remembers...

I literally laughed out loud. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:44 am 
1st Quorum of Seventy

fetchface wrote:
Shulem wrote:

The church is a minimal nuisance at this point in my life. I just really worry about what kinds of stupid baggage my kids are picking up while there.

Well for crying out loud man up and get them the heck out of Mormon indoctrination classes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:29 am 
Deacon

Seriously, the look of horror on my wife’s face tonight when she realized that tomorrow is fast and testimony meeting (AKA open mic Sunday as we call it) and the first Sunday since Monson died. She’s TBM but she still knows it’s going to be a dumpster fire tomorrow. I wouldn’t blame her for skipping, but would also welcome the opportunity to hear some of the crazy so I could share it here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:21 am 
God

Chuck Finley wrote:
Seriously, the look of horror on my wife’s face tonight when she realized that tomorrow is fast and testimony meeting (AKA open mic Sunday as we call it) and the first Sunday since Monson died. She’s TBM but she still knows it’s going to be a dumpster fire tomorrow. I wouldn’t blame her for skipping, but would also welcome the opportunity to hear some of the crazy so I could share it here.

LOL! That would be interesting.

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MormonDiscussions.com.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MormonDiscussions.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next