Elder Christofferson on Age of Missionary Eligibilty

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: Elder Christofferson on Age of Missionary Eligibilty

Post by _consiglieri »

So underwhelming.

And yet so predictable.

God allows the apostles to go through months and months of meetings until everybody agrees on seeing an issue "the same way," which Elder Christofferson hastens to amend to "the Lord's way."

Why doesn't God just say something?

I mean, isn't that what the LDS Church teaches we have prophets for?

Or is this some sort of heavenly chess game where God has to arrange the pieces to line up through a laborious (and completely unnecessary) process?

You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

I wouldn't trust a single thing Water Dog says
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

DoubtingThomas wrote:I wouldn't trust a single thing Water Dog says

...?
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Kishkumen wrote:Thanks for sharing that Water Dog. Since I have been out of the chapel for some time, I managed to miss a lot of this. I vaguely recall what you are saying about Reel. So, I am still left with the feeling that the OP and the video are worthwhile inasmuch as they contribute to our understanding of what counts as a big revelation in the Lord's boardroom. Is that not fair to say?

Fair to say. I'm just making the point that there are a lot of other sources out there for this bedside this one audio clip if it's something you're into. A lot of people took the implications of this for granted I think. Was kind of a slow moving accident in recent church history, which is still playing out really as the missionary numbers continue to drop. Overall it would be a good topic for a solid article or even a Book of Mammon style publication.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Water Dog wrote:...?

You like to Troll that is for sure!
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

DoubtingThomas wrote:You like to Troll that is for sure!

....?

You're accusing me of lying in my comments to Kish? I'm really confused.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

consiglieri wrote:So underwhelming.

And yet so predictable.

God allows the apostles to go through months and months of meetings until everybody agrees on seeing an issue "the same way," which Elder Christofferson hastens to amend to "the Lord's way."

Why doesn't God just say something?

I mean, isn't that what the LDS Church teaches we have prophets for?

Or is this some sort of heavenly chess game where God has to arrange the pieces to line up through a laborious (and completely unnecessary) process?

They undermine their authority by these silly explanations. Christopherson seems like a smary guy. Why doesn't he see what his words actually mean? I wonder if senior apostles like Nelson are giving "wrong roads" marching orders? We can be sure Holland is on board with any wrong road taken because of how powerful going down the wrong road can be. Maybe there is a wrong road coalition with the senior apostles to make these corporate revelation claims? Maybe that will be the new face of Mormonism - the one true corporation, hiding its financial dealings from its members, just as the Lord likes it?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

consiglieri wrote:So underwhelming.

And yet so predictable.

Is there a different definition of ‘metaphorical echo chamber’ that I’m unaware of?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Kishkumen wrote:I was poking around on the internet looking for information about Tom Christofferson after listening to his Mormon Stories interviews, when I came upon this interesting youtube video of a talk by Elder Christofferson. It is billed as a "faith promoting story" in the description, but appears to be an account, offered in some conference or leadership meeting, of the mundane process by which the age of eligibility for a mission was changed. It is interesting, because Christofferson presents this as an example of divine inspiration

He/She uploaded another video, it is even better I think

"Elder Christofferson: Only the ignorant doubts the Church"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R84dKBhaGmw
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

It makes my stomach turn to think about how the 12 have indicated that the November policy is also considered revelation.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB