It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Internet vs. Chapel Mormon - UPenn Doctoral Dissertation
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:21 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
I merely say that one has marginal credibility by posting anonymously. One takes his or her's security into hand, which is my case indeed, by posting in one's own name. But I could not live with myself insulting people anonymously. I think that shows extremely bad and cowardly character. The insult itself may be bad enough as a character issue, but doing it anonymously makes one a rank coward.

You do realize that Yahoo Bot is not your real name and by using Yahoo Bot you're posting anonymously?

You're such a dishonest clown, but at least you've provided this board with much laughter (although usually at your expense).

"I'm on sabbatical in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books." Daniel C. Peterson in 2012

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:26 pm 
God

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Yahoo Bot wrote:
I merely say that one has marginal credibility by posting anonymously. One takes his or her's security into hand, which is my case indeed, by posting in one's own name. But I could not live with myself insulting people anonymously. I think that shows extremely bad and cowardly character. The insult itself may be bad enough as a character issue, but doing it anonymously makes one a rank coward.

You do realize that Yahoo Bot is not your real name and by using Yahoo Bot you're posting anonymously?

You're such a dishonest clown, but at least you've provided this board with much laughter (although usually at your expense).

It is a pseudonym. You know who I am. I've never hidden my name.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:31 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
It is a pseudonym. You know who I am. I've never hidden my name.

Pseudonyms are anonymous by their very nature. Post in your real name or you're just an anonymous coward and a hypocrite.

Lot's of people on this board know my name too. The difference is that I haven't made the argument over and over that anyone who doesn't post using their real name is an "anonymous coward", all while posting using an anonymous name like Yahoo Bot.

"I'm on sabbatical in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books." Daniel C. Peterson in 2012

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:58 pm 
God

Everybody Wang Chung,

I've been on this board for a long time. I don't know your name. Lurkers and newbies don't know your name. Yahoo Bot's argument is ridiculous and hypocritical just because a few people here know his name. Your point stands.

- Doc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:42 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung,

I've been on this board for a long time. I don't know your name. Lurkers and newbies don't know your name. Yahoo Bot's argument is ridiculous and hypocritical just because a few people here know his name. Your point stands.

- Doc

You are so right. I sort of revel in the hypocrisy.

You are approaching stalker status. Keep my private life out of your posts. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:24 am 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung,

- Doc

You are so right. I sort of revel in the hypocrisy.

You are approaching stalker status. Keep my private life out of your posts. Thanks.

I don't believe I included your "private life" in any of my posts, unless you're talking about the aptly descriptive of 'r____ leopardry' and how you somehow manage to perfectly embody:

image cdn free

- Doc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:59 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung,

- Doc

There are good reasons for posting anonymously. It is irresponsible in my opinion to do otherwise - unless of course one considers him or her self to be a public figure.

DCP clearly considers himself a public figure, for example, because he publishes in the popular press under his own name and provides a great deal of personal information in doing so. He has even caused a Wikipedia page to be set for himself.

One of the consequences of being a public figure is that the public often expresses opinions regarding one's performance or positions on issues. The fact that such opinions expressed by the public may be perceived as negative by a public figure, or those allied with said figure, does not necessarily mean that the public figure is being unfairly or maliciously treated or insulted.

Those of us who choose not to place ourselves in the public eye, and go about our business in private, have every right to comment on the performance and behavior of those who do seek public attention.

When it comes to social media, including internet message boards, anyone who posts should understand and accept the fact that, to the extent they make their performance or position on issues known to the pubic by such actions, they are liable to receive feedback that may be negative from some quarters. This is pretty much independent of the performance and positions taken.

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:23 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
I don't encourage posting non-anonymously. I merely say that one has marginal credibility by posting anonymously.

Anonymity reduces credibility, but I would counter that that means you have to rely on your own wits to establish it and not some credentials. Don't show us the statue of yourself that someone put up: show us why you deserve one. Besides, it's a just an internet board. Do you really need credibility here?

Quote:
One takes his or her's security into hand, which is my case indeed, by posting in one's own name.

Seems like a big risk just to add some extra credibility to opinions offered in a forum of (likely) total strangers.

Quote:
But I could not live with myself insulting people anonymously. I think that shows extremely bad and cowardly character.

It's actually quite easy to post anonymously without personally insulting people. The trick is not to type things into the computer that people might find personally insulting. If you feel your thoughts and fingers tending in that direction, you can always tie them to a desk or bed, and/or sing a hymn.

Quote:
The insult itself may be bad enough as a character issue, but doing it anonymously makes one a rank coward

Here's an example of what I mean: you could have changed "may" to "is," deleted "enough," and then put a period after "issue." The clause after the paragraph seems like an insult that you could have avoided by not typing (or using restraints on your typing hand while singing "Love One Another," whichever is easier for you).

Quote:
And as I said many times, your sig line has a sarcastic joke of mine in it, but hey, I don't question your man crush. Not that there is anything wrong with it. I'm flattered to see people actually using my statements in their sig lines. It perpetuates my existence here and, to the extent you believe it feeds the troll, it does so well.

Slow down, Achilles. Your immortality is not at stake, just your credibility.

—B. Redd McConkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:51 pm 
God

Symmachus wrote:
Quote:
tic joke of mine in it, but hey, I don't question your man crush. Not that there is anything wrong with it. I'm flattered to see people actually using my statements in their sig lines. It perpetuates my existence here and, to the extent you believe it feeds the troll, it does so well.

Slow down, Achilles. Your immortality is not at stake, just your credibility.

Nonetheless, I am quite flattered to see my jokes contained in signature lines, and having the likes of you defend anonymity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:07 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
Nonetheless, I am quite flattered to see my jokes contained in signature lines, and having the likes of you defend anonymity.

Who is "the likes of" me? Were you offended by my satirical institutional history of the Nephites? Was my charge that Sic et Non lacks ideas too much for your delicate soul? Or was it that I disagreed with you that hiring committees in academic departments have been known to Google applicants? Only anonymity can protect such outrages...

Your'e not a hero for releasing your identity into an internet messaging board, nor is anyone else a coward who doesn't follow your example. That's a stoned poodle you're on, not a high horse.

—B. Redd McConkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:12 pm 
God

Symmachus wrote:
Your'e not a hero for releasing your identity into an internet messaging board, nor is anyone else a coward who doesn't follow your example. That's a stoned poodle you're on, not a high horse.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:21 pm 
God

Symmachus wrote:
Yahoo Bot wrote:

Who is "the likes of" me? Were you offended by my satirical institutional history of the Nephites? Was my charge that Sic et Non lacks ideas too much for your delicate soul? Or was it that I disagreed with you that hiring committees in academic departments have been known to Google applicants? Only anonymity can protect such outrages...

Is the "likes of you" an offensive term? I said I was flattered to have you respond to my points, not insulted. Perhaps I don't understand the Kings' English all that well. Have I ever disagreed with anything you've ever said, or cared about?