Priests to perform baptisms for the dead

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: Priests to perform baptisms for the dead

Post by _Chap »

Exiled wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Funny how necromancy and witchcraft are okay when Joseph Smith did it. :lol:

There you go again with your anti-mormon presentism. Necromancy and witchcraft (white christian magic) was merely a training ground for our young, fearless, trickster. Where else could he have learned to use rocks to further god's work?

Why, HERE, for instance.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

All the priests have to do is go through those wonderful masturbation interviews to get the privilege of doing this.

I wonder how many of them will be honest about it.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Kishkumen wrote:All the priests have to do is go through those wonderful masturbation interviews to get the privilege of doing this.

I wonder how many of them will be honest about it.

They should all lie as it is really none of the church's business. They could think of it as "lying for sanity" or "lying for rationality" instead of the "lying for the lord" they are expected to do once out in the mission field.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Of course it is none of the Church’s business! I agree!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Chap wrote:Why, HERE, for instance.

ok, i agree
the only way to put an end is: make it laughable
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Not only will the Girls hand out towels - they will be Cheerleaders for the Priests!

Gimme a B, Gimme a A, Gimme a P, Gimme a T...,

What's that Spell? BAPTISM

Dunk The Dead, Rah, Rah, Rah!
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

My conclusion on this is that there aren’t enough patrons, and that they see more responsible involvement at this pre-mission age will somehow improve the retention rates of these youth.

It’s a manipulative move.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

I have a question wrote:
This Week in Mormons obtained a copy of a letter from the First Presidency dated December 14, 2017, to be read during sacrament meeting.

Girls passing out towels is considered such a big step forward such that it merits reading out over the pulpit....and signed by the FP. Yet the new policy on children with gay parents was shuffled in under cover of darkness, and the essays remain unsigned.

I can think of some reasons behind this decision.
- there aren’t enough adults interested in working at temples
- there aren’t enough youth interested in doing baptisms for the dead
- it’s a way of reducing the risk of pedaphile members getting access to young people

Girls handing out towels conjures up an image of a whiteboard in a planning room sometime in the last twenty years or so, perhaps instigated by Hinckley (the church needs to simplify, the church needs to retain members against the growth of liberalism) laying out all the infinitesimal alterations which can be made to policy, like tiny, minute crumbs, which can be spread out over a decade or so to mollify revelation-hungry faithful and mitigate losses in the First World. How many crumbs are left?
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

So, the ridiculousness that is "men have priesthood, women have babies" is now "men have priesthood, women have towels."

Looking forward to the essay from Valerie Hudson on how handing out towels is totally an "ordinance" that women perform.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

MsJack wrote:Looking forward to the essay from Valerie Hudson on how handing out towels is totally an "ordinance" that women perform.

The ministry of the towel.