Bible Stories Where God Gave Empirical Evidence to Doubters

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Bible Stories Where God Gave Empirical Evidence to Doubters

Post by _Philo Sofee »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat ... ng-thomas/

It is articles like this that shook me from the complacency of my apologetic mindset and helped me understand how closed minded the Holy Ghost had made me. It is analysis and ideas such as in this missive that convinced me that atheists have the stronger arguments and more viable logic. I think this article is just startling. Startling because it is so obvious and enlightening.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Re: Bible Stories Where God Gave Empirical Evidence to Doubt

Post by _huckelberry »

Philo Sofee wrote:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/essays/a-modern-day-doubting-thomas/

It is articles like this that shook me from the complacency of my apologetic mindset and helped me understand how closed minded the Holy Ghost had made me. It is analysis and ideas such as in this missive that convinced me that atheists have the stronger arguments and more viable logic. I think this article is just startling. Startling because it is so obvious and enlightening.

"The story of the Damascus Road conversion raises serious problems for those Christians who claim that God withholds himself because he wants us to choose our own path freely, whether for good or for evil. God did not follow this plan of action with Saul – instead, he directly and spectacularly manifested himself for the express purpose of changing the course of this man’s life, commanding him in a way that could not be resisted or ignored."

Perhaps one could consider that a substantial amount of Christian tradition holds that this is the normal way of conversion, that nobody, nobody, can choose to believe freely. Belief only happens when God chooses and enables it.

Myself I am not dogmatic, perhaps things happen differently for different people I do not know. I understand myself as being one like Paul. Well without some of his abilities and influence to be sure but smacked upside the head involuntarily.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Great point, Philo. In the grab bag of apologetics, consistency is wanting. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Philo Sofee wrote:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/essays/a-modern-day-doubting-thomas/

Dude, never in all your life did you get the slightest bit of Holy Ghost. All Mormons for over a hundred years have been spiritual fraudsters and hypocrites, scamming for filthy lucre by righteous pretense while they trample everything God commanded under foot. Beliefs and affections toward them is human emotions and social bonding. And making the house of God a society of human interests above all else.

But, they say, we are not permitted to carry out an objective, rigorous, systematic test to ascertain whether God exists –
Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat ... OHWCHFq.99

What lacks of rigor, systematic, and objective tests to prove God when you do put him to the test, fasting and praying as you take upon you the name of Jesus Christ with full purpose of heart, seeking that which He promised, and yet not knowing what to expect of it, so you are not feeding any sort of self delusion, and suddenly like Paul, WHAM BAM, you are visited of God's power making who wholly a new creation,knowing full well that you are in the hands of The Almighty God? And this is precisely what all Holy Scripture testifies of. It only becomes obvious after the fact and discovery of the Living God. That is pure science. It is absolute proof. And it is not transferable. Everyone must prove God is true for themselves.

Nobody does this because the key is a willingness to FORSAKE the world. Ain't nobody doing that against this modern age of wonders. Paul was chosen because he was Paul, who loved God with all his heart, might, mind and strength but did not know he was kicking against the pricks.

Atheism needs to get honest and stop the Royal Right to sandbag what they invent God has to be exactly what they choose to disbelieve. How is it not mental or as you like to imagine, scientific masturbation! Just a fantasy. It's not the real thing.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

NL
Dude, never in all your life did you get the slightest bit of Holy Ghost.

Correct, an invented phantasm is not real, so neither has anyone else ever had it... none of which is relevant to the fact that the Bible portrays God as insisting and agreeing with empirical evidences for his own reality and validity.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Philo Sofee wrote:
NL
Dude, never in all your life did you get the slightest bit of Holy Ghost.

Correct, an invented phantasm is not real, so neither has anyone else ever had it... none of which is relevant to the fact that the Bible portrays God as insisting and agreeing with empirical evidences for his own reality and validity.

I once had a BIL who received a firm witness from the HG that he was to marry a young latterday sister. She didn't get the same witness. No matter how he testified to her and prayed. :lol: :lol: :lol: That's about what it's worth. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

I know! where is our evidence? We are not like Alma and Paul persecuting and stoning Christians to death.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

DoubtingThomas wrote:I know! where is our evidence? We are not like Alma and Paul persecuting and stoning Christians to death.

Intellectually we are, because it is necessary to see where the evidence leads, and it don't go down the road of Alma or Paul.....
Dr CamNC4Me
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Maksutov wrote:
I once had a BIL who received a firm witness from the HG that he was to marry a young latterday sister. She didn't get the same witness. No matter how he testified to her and prayed. :lol: :lol: :lol: That's about what it's worth. :wink:

perhaps the best way to avoid any good influence from the Holy Spirit is to treat is like a ouija board, ask a question and expect a feeling confirmation of the right answer. Blind guide, reinforces what you want, blocking the paths of any potential inspiration.

I think it is much better to just try and think clearly and not rush to conclusions.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Nightlion wrote: All Mormons for over a hundred years have been spiritual fraudsters and hypocrites

All of them?

Surely, in the span of over 100 years, there have been at least one or two Mormons who were not spiritual fraudsters and hypocrites.

No?

Peace,
Ceeboo