Masturbation turns you gay. Homosexuality is learned.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Re: Masturbation turns you gay. Homosexuality is learned.

Post by _Morley »

Yahoo Bot wrote:Well, I am not an expert, but decades ago in college I read several works of Freud. He would agree with the title of this thread.

Morley wrote:Perhaps you need to go back and read those 'several works of Freud' again.

Yahoo Bot wrote:Like I say, I'm no expert. But it seemed that he said that chronic masturbation and homosexuality were related disorders of the mind.

Freud never suggested that masturbation causes homosexuality. I'm not sure where you get this stuff. Certainly not from those 'several works' you read. But you are correct about one thing: You're no expert.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Here is an interesting article on the topic of masturbation in Psychology Today. Its historical argument is that masturbation became a public concern first in the 18th century. Bad science and incorrect biblical interpretation were called upon to calm anxieties about privacy in the ruling class.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/insight-therapy/201009/the-masturbation-gap
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Morley wrote:Freud never suggested that masturbation causes homosexuality. I'm not sure where you get this stuff. Certainly not from those 'several works' you read. But you are correct about one thing: You're no expert.

Bot has always been a font of misinformation. He doesn't even know his own role in the Claremont Mormon Studies Graduate Program. He thinks he is in charge!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Yahoo Bot wrote:Well, I am not an expert, but decades ago in college I read several works of Freud. He would agree with the title of this thread.

Don't blame the Church's dumbass policies on modern psychology. Not even debunked, stupid modern psychology. They get to own this one.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Morley wrote:Perhaps you need to go back and read those 'several works of Freud' again.

Yahoo Bot wrote:Like I say, I'm no expert. But it seemed that he said that chronic masturbation and homosexuality were related disorders of the mind.

Morley wrote:Freud never suggested that masturbation causes homosexuality. I'm not sure where you get this stuff. Certainly not from those 'several works' you read. But you are correct about one thing: You're no expert.

Google away, Bot. Make me eat crow.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

I'll check back later and see what you've got.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

While Freud may have been plagued with dreams of bananas, he did think continual masturbation became the stuff of neurosis.

The Church's claims against masturbation is probably a holdover from Victorian attitudes or garbled thinking like the insistence that fluoridated water was part of the international communist conspiracy. Boyd K. Packer went so far as to propose a boycott of Little Factories and issued a demand that they cease production.

The Church's stance on masturbation has lead to many young men leaving the Church.

Master dealmaker D.J. Trump has fully embraced the practice of self-masturbation stating that "It is good to have sex with the one you love most".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Morley wrote:Google away, Bot. Make me eat crow.

I'll check back later and see what you've got.

Yahoo Bot,

Good morning, Counselor. I’m sorry to have given you such a sleepless night. Did you find anything yet? I’ll bet you felt a bit of “Aha!” when you first saw the stuff about Anna Freud; then, reading it, you realized it wasn’t going to say what you wanted.

The Church is standing alone in the field of shame on this one. They can’t blame Sigmund.

But then again, maybe I’m wrong. Perhaps you should put one of your paralegals on it today.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Morley wrote:The Church is standing alone in the field of shame on this one. They can’t blame Sigmund.

Correction. They're not alone. They actually have plenty of evangelical company.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Bot-

Since you're coming up empty on Freud, there are some mental health professionals who believe in things like gay conversion therapy. Perhaps you can cite some of those folks.

I'll check back later.