Mormon pseudoscience

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Mormon pseudoscience

Post by _Maksutov »

Note the Degrees of Glory projected onto M31, the galaxy in Andromeda.

"Our discussion leads us to conclude God's throne lies in the center of the Milky Way Galaxy about 27,000 light years from us on earth."

Lynn Hilton, PhD is also a self-professed expert on discovering the travel routes of Lehi.

https://www.amazon.com/Lynn-M-Hilton/e/ ... ont_book_1

Another Lehi expert is Warren Aston, also UFO contactee advocate and pseudoscience magazine editor.

https://www.amazon.com/Mormon-Looks-Ali ... bc?ie=UTF8

Brother Aston has his own endorsement from the Maxwell Institute:

https://publications.mi.byu.edu/people/warren-p-aston/

And is a frequent writer for Meridian Magazine:

https://ldsmag.com/author/warren-aston/

Pseudoscience was built into Mormonism from the beginning in its foundational pseudoarchaeology but I'm seeing more defenses of dowsing, seer stones, clairvoyance and other woo from Mormons online. Scientists don't seem to receive the respect that they once did in the days of Talmage and Roberts. I suppose it's a perennial battle. :wink:

Other examples of Mormon-sponsored pseudoscience?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon pseudoscience

Post by _Uncle Ed »

The Three Nephites are definitely pushing past the limits of anyone's scientific BS meter. But they are in good, venerable company, what with Enoch and his folks being taken up and promised to be returned; Moses being taken up; Elijah being taken up; Alma (maybe) being taken up. And I know a handful of vegans who have expressed aloud in my hearing range that if you eat/live correctly, you can stave off death and become a translated being. "It's possible ..."

One of the things I enjoy about Mormonism is the array of sci fi quality content. The religion proposes the most extreme assertions to be absolute, singular fact.

Taking religion generally, why do any of their world views have to be exclusive or singular? Can't they all be just as valid? Since not a one of them can show empirical evidence for their version of "history", there should be plenty of room for all of them. Imaginative thinking is literally endless, and that's a lot of wiggle room!

My personal religion is centered on very few concepts. One that applies here is that all of what we can possibly imagine is "true", in the sense that it is impossible for finite minds to imagine impossible things to the Infinite Mind Of God (I suppose that is also called an internal inconsistency or contradiction; but only apparently so). So literally everything we imagine is not only possible but actually exists in some place and time within all of Existence: no matter how impossible that seems here and now, nothing is impossible if it can enter your head. Don't for a moment think that I am suggesting that there really are pink unicorns on the dark side of the moon. But in a parallel universe, or tangential one, I or someone else will put them there (or have already).
A man should never step a foot into the field,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need arms,
Or what menace meet on the road. - Hávamál 38

Man's joy is in Man. - Hávamál 47
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Uncle Ed wrote:The Three Nephites are definitely pushing past the limits of anyone's scientific BS meter. But they are in good, venerable company, what with Enoch and his folks being taken up and promised to be returned; Moses being taken up; Elijah being taken up; Alma (maybe) being taken up. And I know a handful of vegans who have expressed aloud in my hearing range that if you eat/live correctly, you can stave off death and become a translated being. "It's possible ..."

One of the things I enjoy about Mormonism is the array of sci fi quality content. The religion proposes the most extreme assertions to be absolute, singular fact.

Taking religion generally, why do any of their world views have to be exclusive or singular? Can't they all be just as valid? Since not a one of them can show empirical evidence for their version of "history", there should be plenty of room for all of them. Imaginative thinking is literally endless, and that's a lot of wiggle room!

My personal religion is centered on very few concepts. One that applies here is that all of what we can possibly imagine is "true", in the sense that it is impossible for finite minds to imagine impossible things to the Infinite Mind Of God (I suppose that is also called an internal inconsistency or contradiction; but only apparently so). So literally everything we imagine is not only possible but actually exists in some place and time within all of Existence: no matter how impossible that seems here and now, nothing is impossible if it can enter your head. Don't for a moment think that I am suggesting that there really are pink unicorns on the dark side of the moon. But in a parallel universe, or tangential one, I or someone else will put them there (or have already).

Multiverse Fortean, maybe with a little Robert Anton Wilson thrown in?

Did you have any comments on the OP?
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Ed »

I haven't clicked any of your links, I only read what you said.

Other than this is a "Mormon discussion" forum, why pick on the pseudo science of Mormons over that of any other religion?

I'm fond of Ragnarok particularly; because nobody stays dead, the world gets remade, and the first reconstituted man sets his foot on the new earth (aaagain). That seems more like the "simulation" theory at work: this is what we immortals do, because we like it (do we like it?). Rather than the Mormon, "you get one shot at mortality, in all of eternity; don't blow it, son. Eternity is depending on you. Your eternal kingdom is being programed here and now." We don't want to be disappointed in, "That is the limit, he cannot have an increase." Forever. Much better to just keep learning more about what Joy Is, and is not, through continual experiencing of mortality. That is a "worlds without end" I can get behind. It makes my mind more like "God's" mind: always existing, outside of spacetime, until I go back "in" for another "dip".
A man should never step a foot into the field,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need arms,
Or what menace meet on the road. - Hávamál 38

Man's joy is in Man. - Hávamál 47
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Maksutov wrote:Other examples of Mormon-sponsored pseudoscience?

Historically, Brigham Young and others were into Phrenology:

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-cont ... N01_44.pdf
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Uncle Ed wrote:I haven't clicked any of your links, I only read what you said.

Other than this is a "Mormon discussion" forum, why pick on the pseudo science of Mormons over that of any other religion?

I'm fond of Ragnarok particularly; because nobody stays dead, the world gets remade, and the first reconstituted man sets his foot on the new earth (aaagain). That seems more like the "simulation" theory at work: this is what we immortals do, because we like it (do we like it?). Rather than the Mormon, "you get one shot at mortality, in all of eternity; don't blow it, son. Eternity is depending on you. Your eternal kingdom is being programed here and now." We don't want to be disappointed in, "That is the limit, he cannot have an increase." Forever. Much better to just keep learning more about what Joy Is, and is not, through continual experiencing of mortality. That is a "worlds without end" I can get behind. It makes my mind more like "God's" mind: always existing, outside of spacetime, until I go back "in" for another "dip".

Yeah, this is the Mormon Discussions forum, not the Ragnarok forum. Want a Ragnarok discussion, start a Ragnarok thread. This ain't it.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

cinepro wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Other examples of Mormon-sponsored pseudoscience?

Historically, Brigham Young and others were into Phrenology:

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-cont ... N01_44.pdf

Ah, but would they have submitted to Mesmerism? :wink: