Thinking back on the Godmaker

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Thinking back on the Godmaker

Post by _moksha »

Do you remember a short cartoon feature from years ago called the Godmaker? Did you ever wonder if that film had not been used by anti-Mormon rabble-rousers whether it might have been used as instructive media by the BYU Department of Religion and LDS Seminaries? It seemed doctrinally in tune with many past LDS teachings.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Thinking back on the Godmaker

Post by _Maksutov »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebD0cop_a3U

"...endless celestial sex..." :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

I honestly had never seen this before. For the uninitated like me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Makers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebD0cop_a3U

Although intriguing I doubt it would ever have been considered instructive media used by LDS. It is a purposefully inflammatory video that attempts to lay out as much embarrassing (and sometimes false deliberately misleading) information about the church in as quick a fashion as possible. The entire purpose of it is to tear down. That and it is obviously outdated.

ETA: Ah Mak you beat me to it.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

moksha wrote:Do you remember a short cartoon feature from years ago called the Godmaker? Did you ever wonder if that film had not been used by anti-Mormon rabble-rousers whether it might have been used as instructive media by the BYU Department of Religion and LDS Seminaries? It seemed doctrinally in tune with many past LDS teachings.

It's why they hated it so.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Xenophon wrote:attempts to lay out as much embarrassing (and sometimes false) information about the church.

It's been a while since I watched it. It is certainly meant to be inflammatory and to embarrass the church, but what is the actually "false" information about the church you are referring to?

ETA: I just watched the video. I cannot find anything in it that is "false" as far as what Mormons have taught and/or believed at one time or another. I think it is very accurate portrayal of what Mormons actually believe/believed in. Maybe not what is taught at the pulpit, but certainly it's what they actually believe and talk about in the privacy of their homes and what happens in the temples, but they are too embarrassed to proclaim publicly. So I ask again. What is said claimed in the video that is "false?"
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

moksha wrote:Do you remember a short cartoon feature from years ago called the Godmaker? Did you ever wonder if that film had not been used by anti-Mormon rabble-rousers whether it might have been used as instructive media by the BYU Department of Religion and LDS Seminaries? It seemed doctrinally in tune with many past LDS teachings.

What is Ironic, is that BYU in the 70's, used a book for curriculum titled "A New Look at Mormonism."

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1800018932

The cartoon illustrations in the book would make Ed Decker proud. There are some great illustrations like God and Christ flying a spaceship. There is one page that shows a happy family in the Celestial Kingdom stating they are blessed, while it show women working together and separately men working together stating they wish they would have gotten married for eternity. There are over 100 pages of cartoon illustrations that are classic,and again step for step with the God Makers.

I found the copy at a DI about 15 years ago and have seen them go for as much a $250.00 online over the years.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

cwald wrote:
Xenophon wrote:attempts to lay out as much embarrassing (and sometimes false) information about the church.

It's been a while since I watched it. It is certainly meant to be inflammatory and to embarrass the church, but what is the actually "false" information about the church you are referring to?

ETA: I just watched the video. I cannot find anything in it that is "false" as far as what Mormons have taught and/or believed at one time or another. I think it is very accurate portrayal of what Mormons actually believe/believed in. Maybe not what is taught at the pulpit, but certainly it's what they actually believe and talk about in the privacy of their homes and what happens in the temples, but they are too embarrassed to proclaim publicly. So I ask again. What is said claimed in the video that is "false?"

Bump
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

cwald wrote:It's been a while since I watched it. It is certainly meant to be inflammatory and to embarrass the church, but what is the actually "false" information about the church you are referring to?

The discussion of what is doctrine and what is not has gone around and around on this board forever and I don't have much desire to get into it. That said, and it may be to my relative newness with Mormonism, but by definitively claiming things like Adam-God are taught by the church when they aren't (again, I'm fuzzy on the timeline of the movie vs church stance so I'm willing to be wrong here) doesn't help your cause. Lots of things Mormons say out loud is strange enough to focus on that. And I think you are better served focusing on claimed teachings by CoJCoLDS and not on the theories of members. That may be placing to high of a standard on ourselves, but I think it is our responsibility to rise above.

When even the Tanner's suggest that your work is a misrepresentation, it is probably time to rethink it.

Decker's work has also attracted criticism not only from Latter-day Saints,[19] but from other religious scholars of other faiths.[20] Jerald and Sandra Tanner and Bob Passantino have said that Decker's writings grossly misrepresent Mormonism, and thereby dilute his message and offend Mormons without attracting them to evangelical Christianity. The Tanners, themselves prominent critics of the LDS Church, have noted what they contend are inaccuracies and errors in some of Decker's works such as "Ed Decker's ability to make up stories," "his ability to fabricate evidence to support his own opinions," and his choice of "the path of sensationalism in his work on Mormonism." [21]

ETA: apologies for missing your initial post to me cwald

Edit2: On rereading and thinking this over. I think I can agree that when I said false that might have been an incorrect choice. Instead I think that the piece is purposefully misleading, mixing folk lore with doctrine with implications that this is what is taught in General Conference. One of my biggest beefs with CoJCoLDS is that are often misleading and deceptive, particularly when it comes to history. I want to make sure our criticism of them is not guilty of this same problem.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Xenophon wrote:
Edit2: On rereading and thinking this over. I think I can agree that when I said false that might have been an incorrect choice. Instead I think that the piece is purposefully misleading, mixing folk lore with doctrine with implications that this is what is taught in General Conference. One of my biggest beefs with CoJCoLDS is that are often misleading and deceptive, particularly when it comes to history. I want to make sure our criticism of them is not guilty of this same problem.

Fair enough.