Trusting a finite God

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: Trusting a finite God

Post by _candygal »

Themis wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:
In short, I don't think I can extend faith in people anymore, or at least not the way I used to do. A revamping of what it really means would be in order.

I don't mean to say I have faith in my parents about their knowledge of the world. My faith tends to be around their intentions, behaviors, and what they would be willing to do for their children. The faith is about trust. It's a different faith then religious faith, which is blind belief. I trust my parents in certain areas because I have so much evidence. If I use this for God, I have no trust because I have no evidence. Only claims by other people, in which we have some evidence they are not being truthful, or making claims to get us to do something for them.
I love this explanation of faith outside the Mormon box..and inside the hearts of those who love us.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

DoubtingThomas wrote:A infinite God can do anything he wants, he can simply make us all good and take us all to heaven. Why is he not doing that?

D&C 93: 29
29 Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.

In other words: God never created us. He has to deal with us as we are. We can only be added upon.

1. Appointed to an independent sphere of existence. (continue reading Section 93 of the D&C)
2. Given a spirit body
3. Given a physical body
4. Given a resurrected body
5. Tossed back into the Potter's Grind (lose all that God added and returned to the light of truth. (Son's of Perdition and all the devils that rebelled in the beginning. Only to be dealt with in some succeeding generation of the Heavens.)
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

deacon blues wrote: I can conceive such a God might have my fate in his hands, and thus I may have to negotiate with Him, but how can I TRUST Him?

You trusted your parents right?

How I currently see God is probably extremely finite, even if I think it isn’t. I simply am not all-knowing. My mind is not infinite - at least from what I know. ;) But it’s a bit of a paradox or catch 22... would be heretical to either be so cocky to think I actually understand God (as in highest GOoD/Intelligent Design) yet it would also be idolatry to think, “I can’t fathom God so I’ll just pray to a lower idea of God - like an angel.”

This is why I believe it’s best to maintain some Agnostic humility while also resiliently striving to find truth despite the many times I’ve realized I was mistaken.