What kind of deal was made with Hoffman ...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_GameOver
_Emeritus

What kind of deal was made with Hoffman ...

Post by _GameOver »

.... that he won't talk or be interviewed? Can someone summarize what deal was made with the Church for him to keep silent? Surely this is what happened. (Keep your mouth shut and you won't get the death penalty. We OWN the State and it's justice system).

i would really like to hear his story from Hoffman himself. But he seems determined to never speak of it. How can he be legally bound to such an agreement now that his imprisionment is sealed?

I'll bet the Church was/is scared s***less that the truth would come out that they were buying damaging documents in order to bury them, and that Hoffman deceived the "prophets, seers and revelators.

How sad for the victims and their families because of the deceptions of both parties to this deadly tale.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: What kind of deal was made with Hoffman ...

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Pretty much anyone who read any of the books on this subject knows the prophets were deceived... even IN their own backyard and concerning their OWN putative knowledge of their OWN history.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

What I find telling in having read a few of the books, especially "A Gathering of Saints," how the Hoffman murders and story have never made it to the big screen. It would be a great screen play.

https://www.thewrap.com/mormon-murders- ... own-31220/
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

The Hoffman story is a fascinating one. I too would like to see a proper movie on the guy. That and Under the Banner of Heaven. Come on Hollywood!!!
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

GameOver wrote:.... that he won't talk or be interviewed? Can someone summarize what deal was made with the Church for him to keep silent? Surely this is what happened. (Keep your mouth shut and you won't get the death penalty. We OWN the State and it's justice system).

It has been a couple of years since I last studied the issue, but my recollection is that no deal was made to keep Hofmann silent.

Actually, a deal was made to make him talk. Under the terms of the deal, Mark Hofmann had to be completely up front and candid with detectives about how he committed the forgeries and murders and everything associated with it.

One vignette from this was where the detectives were asking him how he was able to forge Joseph Smith's signature so accurately as to fool the experts. Hofmann asked for a pen and paper. He then signed Joseph Smith's signature as easy as signing his own name.

But Hofmann didn't get a deal just because of this.

Instead, his attorney was threatening to depose church leaders, including Hinkley, as to what happened and their role in it, as well as to start subpoenaing documents from the church.

It is believed that, in order to avoid that happening, word was communicated to the district attorney, a faithful latter-day saint, who then worked out a deal with Hofmann.

I believe all of this is documented except for the part about word being communicated to the district attorney. But the threat of depositions and subpoenaing documents were definitely made and, at the eleventh hour, the LDS district attorney suddenly had a change of heart about proceeding with the prosecution for some reason.

Further your affiant sayeth not.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

Thanks, Consiglieri. I read "The Mormon Murders" (25-30 years ago), and I don't remember all the details now. I bought it again not too long ago, but I just can't get into it.

And yes, a thorough documentary should be made of the story. Hollywood would only make a poorly-acted, forgettable drama of it.
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

Sorry - duplicate post.