Shulem: what was the significance of the EAG?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Shulem: what was the significance of the EAG?

Post by _Maksutov »

I have heard much about what the Egyptian Alphabet and Grammar was, how it was used, who created it. What is your take?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Re: Shulem: what was the significance of the EAG?

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

I would love to hear Paul’s opinion about EAG as well. He used to have a really cool Egyptian Studies website. I’m not sure if it still exists or not.

Paul, can you share the link with us if it does?

Oh, and Mak, glad to have you back. :wink:
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Tator »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:I would love to hear Paul’s opinion about EAG as well. He used to have a really cool Egyptian Studies website. I’m not sure if it still exists or not.

I agree with everything you said. Paul is a treasure. He has taught me lot over the years. I would love a refresher course.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:I would love to hear Paul’s opinion about EAG as well. He used to have a really cool Egyptian Studies website. I’m not sure if it still exists or not.

Thanks. :smile:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Maksutov wrote:I have heard much about what the Egyptian Alphabet and Grammar was, how it was used, who created it. What is your take?

It's a hefty subject and I spent many years involved in studying it as a faithful LDS apologist. My original Book of Abraham apologetic website is archived here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071007092449fw_/http://www.myegyptology.net:80/file/id3.htm

Click there and scroll down just a little until you get to Contents and click on the the title Grammar & Alphabet of the Egyptian Language and it will take you further down the page to several other titles that contain links and a wealth of information.

In a nutshell, the EAG was created and used by Joseph Smith to produce the Book of Abraham and develop what he claimed was the key to understanding the ancient story of Abraham and astronomy as practiced by the ancients.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Shulem wrote:
Maksutov wrote:I have heard much about what the Egyptian Alphabet and Grammar was, how it was used, who created it. What is your take?

It's a hefty subject and I spent many years involved in studying it as a faithful LDS apologist. My original Book of Abraham apologetic website is archived here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071007092449fw_/http://www.myegyptology.net:80/file/id3.htm

Click there and scroll down just a little until you get to Contents and click on the the title Grammar & Alphabet of the Egyptian Language and it will take you further down the page to several other titles that contain links and a wealth of information.

In a nutshell, the EAG was created and used by Joseph Smith to produce the Book of Abraham and develop what he claimed was the key to understanding the ancient story of Abraham and astronomy as practiced by the ancients.

So the EAG is some sort of record of the translation process, character by character, while compiling an "alphabet and grammar". But was that translation done using a peepstone or simply by Smith's sort of channeling/"translating" from his own head?

Weren't others also involved in part of the translation?
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Maksutov wrote:
So the EAG is some sort of record of the translation process, character by character. But was that translation done using a peepstone or simply by Smith's sort of channeling/"translating" from his own head?

Probably both. Joseph loved to peep in stones and dictate things. He loved to have scribes at his beckon call who were in tune with his vibrations and spiritual occult incantations.

Joseph Smith was extremely charismatic.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Shulem wrote:
Maksutov wrote:
So the EAG is some sort of record of the translation process, character by character. But was that translation done using a peepstone or simply by Smith's sort of channeling/"translating" from his own head?

Probably both. Joseph loved to peep in stones and dictate things. He loved to have scribes at his beckon call who were in tune with his vibrations and spiritual occult incantations.

Joseph Smith was extremely charismatic.

Do you know what role Cowdery played? Was his "gift of the rod/Aaron" ever used in translations? I also wondered why Smith said he had a gift unless he had successfully demonstrated it somehow somewhere sometime.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Maksutov wrote:
Do you know what role Cowdery played? Was his "gift of the rod/Aaron" ever used in translations? I also wondered why Smith said he had a gift unless he had successfully demonstrated it somehow somewhere sometime.

He was the second elder of the church, the No. 2 guy and was Joseph Smith's right hand man for a time. Nonetheless, elder Cowdery was Joseph's pawn and subject to his authority. Cowdery was very good at expressing things he learned from Joseph Smith regarding the papyrus as so colorfully detailed in the Messenger & Advocate. He was Smith's advertising manager, not a rod of Aaron.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I always saw the EAG as another smoking gun. How do the apologists get around it?