TIL, Not wanting to be a Slave = Mental Disorder

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

TIL, Not wanting to be a Slave = Mental Disorder

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: TIL, Not wanting to be a Slave = Mental Disorder

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I tend to get wrapped up the the historicity stuff. This was a new perspective for me. Thanks.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

The thing that is most stunning to me is that Mark E. Petersen said that in 1954. Now, I get that the Civil Rights Act had not been passed and would not be for a decade, but Petersen is projecting an evil institution into the celestial sphere. It’s truly bizarre to me. Very distressing. This is the Church my parents attended as kids. The one in which Petersen said this horrible tripe. Of course, what was I hearing as a child? Not much better. Official Declaration #2 came about when I was practically through Primary. I recall how strange it seemed to me that blacks were not allowed to have the priesthood. Frankly I have a hard time believing it took the Mormons so long to begin to address that wrong.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:The thing that is most stunning to me is that Mark E. Petersen said that in 1954. Now, I get that the Civil Rights Act had not been passed and would not be for a decade, but Petersen is projecting an evil institution into the celestial sphere. It’s truly bizarre to me. Very distressing. This is the Church my parents attended as kids. The one in which Petersen said this horrible tripe. Of course, what was I hearing as a child? Not much better. Official Declaration #2 came about when I was practically through Primary. I recall how strange it seemed to me that blacks were not allowed to have the priesthood. Frankly I have a hard time believing it took the Mormons so long to begin to address that wrong.

Only when it threatened their money. Always follow the money.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Water Dog wrote:“If that Negro is faithful all his days, he can and will enter the celestial kingdom. He will go there as a servant, but he will get a celestial resurrection.”-Mark E. Petersen- Address given at Brigham Young University, August 27, 1954 entitled “Race Problems—As They Affect the Church.”

This is a reaffirmation of the decision President Joseph F. Smith, the First Presidency, and the Quorum made to a request by Jane Manning James, to be sealed to Elijah Abel, when they sentenced her to be an eternal celestial servant of Joseph Smith and his many wives.

While that seems horrendous to us in these latter days, you have to remember this was before light and knowledge entered the world for many LDS people.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

It makes me physically ill. So disgusting.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

At some point the members and critics alike will be quoting our current leaders as it pertains to LBGTQ in the same regretful way we do Petersen's quote from 1954 lamenting it took so long. There really is little spirit in this fear, elitism, and bigotry. It really is disgusting. Being Mormon even in just a cultural sense it makes ya sick.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Stem wrote:At some point the members and critics alike will be quoting our current leaders as it pertains to LBGTQ in the same regretful way we do Petersen's quote from 1954 lamenting it took so long. There really is little spirit in this fear, elitism, and bigotry. It really is disgusting. Being Mormon even in just a cultural sense it makes ya sick.

Many of us already feel sick about it. Oaks counseling parents to keep the partners of their gay kids at arm's length? "Don't expect us to condone your lifestyle." Hey, when I was 12 years old I was a homophobe myself. I remember the days when people thought it was cool to hurl the epithet "fag." But, I figured out somewhere along the line that I was wrong, and I changed my mind. That was about 30 years ago. What in the hell is taking these guys so long? I am done with them.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Water Dog wrote:I'm not so arrogant to think I'd be any better in the same circumstances. What I have a problem with though, the point I'm trying to make, is that regardless of whether the church is "true" or not, I have certain expectations of goodness from the leaders. Even if the Book of Mormon isn't historical, I could settle for "true" leadership, men of genuinely good character. Either way that's what people in the church are ultimately following after all, right? Doesn't matter how true the church is if the guys leading it are immoral. Likewise, doesn't matter how false the church is, if the guys leading it are impeccably moral. I would expect ordained apostles to score really well on things like selflessness and charity. What good is an apostle if he's the least Christ-like guy in the room?

Here is what I am seeing in the leaders of the LDS Church:

D&C 76 wrote:75 These are they who are honorable men of the earth, who were blinded by the craftiness of men.

76 These are they who receive of his glory, but not of his fulness.

77 These are they who receive of the presence of the Son, but not of the fulness of the Father.

78 Wherefore, they are bodies terrestrial, and not bodies celestial, and differ in glory as the moon differs from the sun.

79 These are they who are not valiant in the testimony of Jesus; wherefore, they obtain not the crown over the kingdom of our God.