Apologists Harassing Critics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Apologists Harassing Critics

Post by _Gadianton »

fetchface wrote:"Be kind;" two words to live by. Unfortunately, there is a lot of anger and hurt involved in losing one's world view or defending a central part of one's identity. Moderation on a forum like this is bound to be difficult. Self-moderation is extremely difficult for me at times.

I've only ever put one commenter here on ignore, and it is mainly because this person has repeatedly shown that they aren't interested in an exchange of ideas. When a thoughtful question is posed to them, they deflect and refuse to answer. They also had a habit of derailing practically every thread they entered, making it all about their childish thoughts and always pointing at themselves.

I just got tired of putting a lot of effort into interacting thoughtfully with this person, spending lots of time on thoughtful responses, and getting childish deflections in return.

Putting this poster on ignore improved my experience on the forum dramatically, no moderator's intervention required.

Well, MG has no shortage of others to go the rounds with.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Gadianton wrote:
Well, MG has no shortage of others to go the rounds with.

I don't know that I'm that interested in going the rounds as I am simply providing counterbalance to a board that is heavy on the criticism and naysaying. I might provide a link here and there and some information which can be used to hold up alongside the negative information (most recently the audio links I posted to friendly addresses given at BYU on the topic of Joseph Smith the Prophet) and let others do with it what they will.

It's clear that we all have favorite sources that lead us to the place that we're at. But just as I should be open and willing to look at and read a source and/or poster that is not friendly towards the church others might want to also have a spirit of openness...at least to the point that they are able to let two sides to a question/topic be entertained or put out there.

And then of course I realize that there are other folks reading this board who are possibly looking for a counterbalancing influence among a sea of negativity. I realize that whenever I post something I am most assuredly not preaching to the choir. :wink:

Regards,
MG
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

fetchface wrote:"Be kind;" two words to live by. Unfortunately, there is a lot of anger and hurt involved in losing one's world view or defending a central part of one's identity. Moderation on a forum like this is bound to be difficult. Self-moderation is extremely difficult for me at times.

I've only ever put one commenter here on ignore, and it is mainly because this person has repeatedly shown that they aren't interested in an exchange of ideas. When a thoughtful question is posed to them, they deflect and refuse to answer. They also had a habit of derailing practically every thread they entered, making it all about their childish thoughts and always pointing at themselves.

I just got tired of putting a lot of effort into interacting thoughtfully with this person, spending lots of time on thoughtful responses, and getting childish deflections in return.

Putting this poster on ignore improved my experience on the forum dramatically, no moderator's intervention required.

Well said.