Ad Hominem, Mormon style?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Ad Hominem, Mormon style?

Post by _deacon blues »

A common explanation for Mormon critics/anti-Mormons is that "the devil inspires them to criticize/attack the church. To me, this falls under the logical falicy of "ad hominem." Does this seem correct to you all? If one says that a critic is influenced by the devil, isn't that attacking the critic rather than the argument?

This may seem a mundane post, but I hear this so often, especially from people over 60 (my age group) that it would be nice to reply, "that's a logical fallacy, more specifically called ad hominem.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Re: Ad Hominem, Mormon style?

Post by _Tator »

I think you've nailed it to the wall. Green jello meets deacon blues' wall.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

deacon blues wrote:A common explanation for Mormon critics/anti-Mormons is that "the devil inspires them to criticize/attack the church. To me, this falls under the logical falicy of "ad hominem." Does this seem correct to you all? If one says that a critic is influenced by the devil, isn't that attacking the critic rather than the argument?

This may seem a mundane post, but I hear this so often, especially from people over 60 (my age group) that it would be nice to reply, "that's a logical fallacy, more specifically called ad hominem.

You're correct, but I don't know how far yelping out "that's a logical fallacy" will go when someone is trying to dismiss you by saying you're of the devil. The likely response will be, "if you think I'm breaking some logical rule, then it only proves you are of the devil, because only the devil would object to my obvious conclusion that you are of the devil. Therefore, you are an anti-Mormon. Logical fallacy that, satan."
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

deacon blues wrote:A common explanation for Mormon critics/anti-Mormons is that "the devil inspires them to criticize/attack the church. To me, this falls under the logical falicy of "ad hominem." Does this seem correct to you all? If one says that a critic is influenced by the devil, isn't that attacking the critic rather than the argument?

Surely you've realized by now that believers will disqualify your argument all together if you are using logic to support your argument.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Alma 32 uses logic. Why shouldn't Mormons.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

One persons anti Mormon attack, is another’s simple question.

Rallying against the questioner is tacit acknowledgement that the answer is damaging to faith.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

deacon blues wrote:Alma 32 uses abuses logic.

FTFY
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

deacon blues wrote:Alma 32 uses logic. Why shouldn't Mormons.

2. And it came to pass that after much labor among them, they began to have success among the poor class of people; for behold, they were cast out of the synagogues because of the coarseness of their apparel—

3 Therefore they were not permitted to enter into their synagogues to worship God...

Ipso facto that is why we wear our Sunday best so as not to be cast out of our synagogues.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Tator wrote:I think you've nailed it to the wall. Green jello meets deacon blues' wall.

:smile: Thanks Dude.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

fetchface wrote:
deacon blues wrote:Alma 32 uses abuses logic.

Fixed it for you

Hmmmmm. Could you be more specific? scientific? :ugeek: