Today in Elders Quorum. Looking for sources

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Today in Elders Quorum. Looking for sources

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

When I paid for the right to propagandize Mormonism in Peru from 1990-1992 co-habitationinging couples in the Peru Lima South mission had to get married before they could get baptized.

Source: Me - We had a couple that had to get married, so they did. Mission rulez.

He left her shortly after getting baptized.

So you have that.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:When I paid for the right to propagandize Mormonism in Peru from 1990-1992 co-habitationinging couples in the Peru Lima South mission had to get married before they could get baptized.

- Doc

Yes, but divorce was probably legal in Peru in 1990. Elder English writes the following: "We have had more success in our work and our numbers are improving. The area presidency (currently Ian S. Ardern, President; Shayne M. Bowen, First Counselor; and Larry J. Echo Hawk, Second Counselor) recently released a new rule that as long as two people have been living together for 5 years or more, they are allowed to be baptized, just because it is really hard for people here to get married or to get a divorce. Which means that one of our investigators who has really been wanting to be baptized is now able to. It also means that we will probably be having about 5 baptisms this month. I think that I'm more excited for my companion than I am for myself, just because I still have so many memories from my first baptism"
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Water Dog wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:Marriage in the Philippines exists. Divorce exists too, but it is very difficult to get it.

SMH

Yea yea, just read the quote above
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

DoubtingThomas wrote:Elder English writes the following: "We have had more success in our work and our numbers are improving. The area presidency (currently Ian S. Ardern, President; Shayne M. Bowen, First Counselor; and Larry J. Echo Hawk, Second Counselor) recently released a new rule that as long as two people have been living together for 5 years or more, they are allowed to be baptized, just because it is really hard for people here to get married or to get a divorce. Which means that one of our investigators who has really been wanting to be baptized is now able to. It also means that we will probably be having about 5 baptisms this month. I think that I'm more excited for my companion than I am for myself, just because I still have so many memories from my first baptism"

I still can't find a church source, how frustrating! the leaders are cowards for not publishing their controversial rules
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Water Dog wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:many blogs claim the church accepts common law marriages in the Philippines.

You're arguing semantics. The church's position is consistent in this case, the only difference is procedure and paperwork between two different countries and cultures.

I still can't find a source on the Philippines, except for the LDS missionary blog.I did find a source on South America, it deserves a new thread.