Boy Scouts Will Admit Girls, Allow Them to Earn Eagle Scout

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Boy Scouts Will Admit Girls, Allow Them to Earn Eagle Sc

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Jersey Girl,

See. I knew this would happen with you.

The Girl Scouts just don't compete with the Boy Scouts in culture, outdoorism, or, you know, Scouting. You're basically doing the thing where someone might claim that, say, in the Army because a Military Intelligence unit goes to the field that they're basically Special Forces.

They are two worlds apart in organization, structure, culture, and objectives.

The Girl Scouts and the Boy Scouts are very different worlds. To imply that they're not really that different or the Girl Scouts do what the Boy Scouts do is just disingenuous.

- Doc

I'm not implying that they're not really that different. I was asking out of my own curiosity. Thanks for reading my mind though.

Did you earn a badge for that crap?
:lol:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Jersey Girl wrote:It's called the Gold Award.

I spent 18 years in GSUSA, combination girl member and adult member years, leader of two troops, PR coordinator, Level 3 Camp Crafter. That means I have advanced outdoor and survival skills. The main focus of both of my troops was camping and outdoor skills development that I offered in a series of progressive experiences. I had one Dad who was an Eagle Scout who took on the orienteering portion of our training for the troops on one of our extended camping trips and took direction from me.

I was actually called upon to provide resources for the local Ward Boy Scout troop.

What were the girls missing out on in their own troops? Can you share?

Jersey Girl, I apologize that I somehow missed your question to me on this thread. I know it is a bit late but I felt like you deserved a response.

I think your general comments that Girl Scouts can do any activity Boy Scouts do but with their troop instead are very true (even if only in theory sometimes). The problem my friends faced was that the largest local GSUSA group did not wish to go backpacking at Philmont, visit Sea Base, explore the Canadian wilderness at Northern Tier or tens/hundreds of other places our BSA troop was trying to go. Instead of forming their own Girl Scout troop it was considerably simpler for them to just attach to an org that already shared their same goals.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Overheard in a Cafe in Provo, UT on the change.

"the ugly ones will get the rank of Beagle Scouts".
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert