So who gets a paycheck from the Church?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jonah
_Emeritus

Re: So who gets a paycheck from the Church?

Post by _Jonah »

kairos wrote:We know mission president's operate off a church credit card without limits...

We know this?? I do know the Mission President's Handbook fairly well and have never seen a reference to Mission Presidents having a church credit card without limits. Source??
Red flags look normal when you're wearing rose colored glasses.
_Jonah
_Emeritus

Post by _Jonah »

I have a question wrote:I only have a conversation I had with a Mission President, to rely upon. Of course, he may simply have been referencing the levels of reimbursements.

https://exploringmormonism.com/modest-l ... g-covered/

Since the Mission Presidents aren't receiving a paycheck/stipend for their service, what the church DOES provide for them seems fair to me. Now...if they received cash AND the living allowances, I might have a problem with that. I certainly don't perceive what they do receive as any type of "luxury" though. Definitely not enough for ME to consider trading places with them and babysitting a bunch of youngsters for a few years.
Red flags look normal when you're wearing rose colored glasses.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:I don't begrudge the Church having leaders on the payroll. I think that's fine. They just need to be honest about it and not broadcast that we have a 100% volunteer clergy. That is disingenuous.

I agree. And church leaders should be expected to get some sort of degree in theology or a related subject.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

zeezrom wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:I don't begrudge the Church having leaders on the payroll. I think that's fine. They just need to be honest about it and not broadcast that we have a 100% volunteer clergy. That is disingenuous.

I agree. And church leaders should be expected to get some sort of degree in theology or a related subject.

Actually, I think that Counseling would make the most sense considering that is a major part of the job.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _fetchface »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:My father in law was a mission president in Texas. He did not have his kids' tuition paid for by the Church. I can guarantee you that. The Church did pay for hired help for cooking and cleaning when my mother in law had to have knee surgery.

I believe the Mission President's handbook clearly states children of MPs can go to a church school for free. I believe that they also can apply that cost to any other school, which usually won't get you a free education by any means but is a significant offset in the cost.

I was a companion to a sick elder and lived for three weeks with my mission president while I accompanied my companion to endless doctor's appointments. They had a full time maid/cook and MP's wife wasn't sick in any way. It was a very nice high-rise apartment and was like a super-nice vacation for me in between living in the plywood boxes that were called houses that we normally lived in.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/