Tom Finds More Plagarism from Daniel C. Peterson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Tom Finds More Plagarism from Daniel C. Peterson

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

This is just unbelievable to me. How many times has Peterson been caught with his hand in the plagarizing cookie jar? I think at this point every article, book or online post from Daniel C. Peterson should be under a cloud of suspicion. I wonder what you would find if someone took a good hard look at his dissertation?

Tom made a very interesting post (on Lemmie's OP) that deserves its own thread:

Tom wrote:Quoting from another recent blog post of his:

Plagarizing Peterson wrote:From yet another of my manuscripts-in-progress, a few lines on one of the lesser-known and unofficial witnesses to the Book of Mormon plates:

Illinois state senator Orville F. Berry wrote a tribute to Katharine Smith Salisbury not long after her death, in her late eighties, on 2 February 1900: “There resided in this county, until her death, Catherine Smith Salisbury, sister of the prophet. The writer knew her personally, has been in her house many times and has grown up from boyhood days with her sons and grandsons, and the world would be wonderfully well off if all women were as good as Catherine Smith Salisbury.”[1]

Mary Salisbury Hancock, the granddaughter of Joseph’s sister Katharine, remembered Katharine relating an episode when Joseph, with the plates in his possession, had been chased by a mob:

Hearing an unusual commotion outside Catherine flew to the door and threw it open just as Joseph came rushing up, panting for breath. He thrust a bundle into her arms, and in a gasping voice whispered hoarsely, “Take these quickly and hide them,” then he disappeared into the darkness. Closing the door Catherine ran hurriedly to the bedroom where she and Sophronia slept. Sophronia threw back the bedding and Catherine put the bundle on the bed, quickly replacing the bedding. Both of them lay down on the bed and pretended sleep. The mob, failing to find Joseph outside, returned to the house to search, but they did not disturb the girls since they appeared to be sleeping.[2]

Herbert S. Salisbury, grandson of Joseph’s sister Katharine, said that she

told me that while dusting up the room where the Prophet had his study she saw a package on the table containing the gold plates on which was engraved the story of the Book of Mormon. She said she hefted those plates and found them very heavy like gold and also rippled her fingers up the edge of the plates and felt that they were separate metal plates and heard the tinkle of sound that they made.[3]

Thus, including the night on which the plates were first brought to the Smith home from Cumorah, Katharine was able to heft the plates on at least three distinct occasions.

[1] Orville F. Berry, “The Mormon Settlement in Illinois,” Transactions of the Illinois State Historical Society for the year 1906 11 (1906): 93. [See original.] See also Kyle R. Walker, “Katharine Smith Salisbury: Sister to the Prophet,” Mormon Historical Studies 3/1 (2002): 5-34.

[2] Mary Salisbury Hancock, “The Three Sisters of the Prophet Joseph Smith,” The Saints’ Herald 101/2 (11 January 1954): 36. [See original]

[3] “The Prophet’s Sister Testifies She Lifted the B. of M. Plates,” The Messenger (October 1954): I, 6 [typescript copy in LDS Church Archives; see original].

Did Professor Peterson locate these three quotations based on his own original research or did he mine the quotations and sources from Kyle Walker's article? Notice that Walker's article features the same quotations cited by Peterson in footnotes 2 and 3 above (see page 8 of Walker's article), although Peterson does not cite Walker in those footnotes. Notice also that although Peterson gives some credit to Walker's article in the first footnote with a "[s]ee also," both Peterson and Walker misquote Berry's article in the exact same way, which suggests that Peterson is directly relying on Walker. Berry's article reads (text in the original article that is missing in both Walker's article and Peterson's manuscript is shown in bold):
There resided in this county from the death of Joseph Smith, until her death a few years ago, Catherine Smith Salisbury, sister of the prophet. The writer knew her personally, has been in her house many times, and has grown up from boyhood days with her sons and grandsons, and the world would be wonderfully well off if all women were as good as Catherine Smith Salisbury.

Peterson concludes: "Thus, including the night on which the plates were first brought to the Smith home from Cumorah, Katharine was able to heft the plates on at least three distinct occasions."

Referring to Katharine Smith, Walker writes: "Although she would be disappointed in not being allowed to view the uncovered plates as anticipated, her convictions were strengthened by being able to heft them on at least three different occasions" (8). The accompanying footnote reads: "The first two instances are mentioned earlier in the article—at the time Joseph first returned home with the plates and when the two sisters hid the plates from the mob."

I hope Professor Peterson will take the time to vet the various paraphrases, notes, quotations, etc., in his numerous manuscripts to separate his own thoughts and research from the thoughts and research of others and give proper attribution.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Tom Finds More Plagarism from Daniel C. Peterson

Post by _Lemmie »

I posted this on the other thread before I realized you started a new thread, Everybody Wang Chung, this is my work supporting Tom's assertion:
Lemmie wrote:Tom is correct, I also looked into this a bit and found the same problematical use of Walker's work. DCP plagiarizes here also.

buried in DCP's footnote 1, after another reference, Peterson says this:
See also Kyle R. Walker, “Katharine Smith Salisbury: Sister to the Prophet,” Mormon Historical Ses 3/1 (2002): 5-34.

"See also" is an interesting phrase. The reference above is in Peterson's footnote 1, where he quotes the Senator's tribute. This tribute is also in Kyle's work, on the last page of his approximately 30 page paper.

Peterson does not give a footnote or reference for the virtually identical wording he takes from Walker's page 8; his footnotes 2 and 3 are the sources for the same quotes Walker uses.

Below is Peterson's essay, with the original quotes snipped that both he and Kyle used, labeled as quote 2 and 3. Below that is Kyle's original work, all from page 8 of his article. I've highlighted Peterson's identical word use in blue.

Also note that the words and quotes taken from Kyle Walker's work are all one continuous segment, all found on page 8.

Obviously, Kyle's work came first, as Peterson references him, albeit obliquely and inadequately.

Peterson, plagiarizing Kyle Walker, wrote:Mary Salisbury Hancock, the granddaughter of Joseph’s sister Katharine, remembered Katharine relating an episode when Joseph, with the plates in his possession, had been chased by a mob:

<snip quote 2>

Herbert S. Salisbury, grandson of Joseph’s sister Katharine, said that she

<snip quote 3>

Thus, including the night on which the plates were first brought to the Smith home from Cumorah, Katharine was able to heft the plates on at least three distinct occasions.

page 8 of Kyle Walker wrote:Mary Salisbury Hancock, Katharine’s granddaughter, remembered Katharine relating an instance when Joseph was chased by a mob while he had the plates in his possession.Hancock recounted:

<snip quote 2>

Katharine’s grandson, Herbert S. Salisbury, remembered his grandmother telling of one such instance:

<snip quote 3>

Although she would be disappointed in not being allowed to view the uncovered plates as anticipated, her convictions were strengthened by being able to heft them on at least three different occasions.

Kyle walker link: https://anyflip.com/ospt/swdp/basic

In case Peterson decides to edit this one too, here is the web cache for his original:

https://web.archive.org/web/20171010235 ... ister.html
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

You know. At Salt Lake City Community College, a COMMUNITY COLLEGE, if you're busted for knowingly plagiarising material you're out of the course. If you do it a second time you're out of the school.

No way you get out of that.

From their website:

Plagiarism: Presenting within one’s own work the ideas, representations, or
words of another person without customary and proper acknowledgment of that
person’s authorship is considered plagiarism. Students who are unsure of what
constitutes plagiarism should consult with their instructors. Claims of ignorance
will not necessarily excuse the offense.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Wow, DuplicateCopyPasterson is turning out to be quite the original thinker and writer, isn't he?
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

He seems like the personality type that will continue to do something after being caught in order to thumb his nose at his accusers? Or maybe he is the liar who continues to double down?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Exiled wrote:He seems like the personality type that will continue to do something after being caught in order to thumb his nose at his accusers? Or maybe he is the liar who continues to double down?

It'd seem that once someone publishes the claim, "Ancient texts indicate that the idolatrous gods of Elkenah, Libnah, Mahmackrah, and Korash, described in the book of Abraham, truly were worshipped in the ancient world, despite the fact that the Bible makes no mention of them", then they have solidly decided to reside within the world of your second option.
_Grudunza
_Emeritus

Post by _Grudunza »

He thrust a bundle... of the gold plates (weighing 60-70 lbs. by all other accounts)... into her arms, huh? Here, little girl, take this thing weighing 60-70 pounds!! Thud, as they drop to the floor... Oww, as they land on her foot.

Methinks the notion of manufactured tin plates, if there were any plates at all, makes more sense based on this (if this account is to be believed).

Oh, and yeah, Dan is a copytapir. As I said before, he’s just following da man, Joseph, who was so great at copying and remixing other material for his own purposes.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Unbelievable. Incredible. Wow, just wow.

Shameless.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')