DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tom
_Emeritus

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by _Tom »

Lemmie wrote:This is utterly unbelievable, but Tom has pointed out to me that Peterson has re-plagiarized a portion of a previously plagiarized blog entry, on the exact one year anniversary of when he first plagiarized it!

this year's version: "Humility in science" 
9 October 2018 By Dan Peterson
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... ience.html

last year's version: "Science has a history, and that is actually significant"
9 October 2017 by Dan Peterson
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... l#_ftnref1

Here is the paragraph from this year, again plagiarized from Charles Krauthammer:
Daniel C. Peterson, plagiarizing, wrote:But let’s take a very down-to-earth branch of science, nutrition.  We have recently learned that butter may be better for us than stick margarine.  Eggs may not be bad for us, after all.  Diet fashions seem to change like the seasons.  In psychiatry, the lives of many patients were destroyed by lobotomies and shock therapy—therapeutic techniques that are now so far out of fashion that we can scarcely imagine a time when they were (but they most definitely were) the preferred methods of dealing with several mental health problems.  Just a few decades ago, virtually every kid had a tonsillectomy.  That was just part of growing up, at least in America.  Yet we now understand that tonsillectomies are mostly unnecessary, and can be worse than useless.  We used to know that ulcers were caused by stress, or by excess stomach acid.  Now we know that most ulcers are caused by a bacterium known as Helicobacter pylori or by the use of aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.  If there was anything absolutely sure in medical education, it was the fact that the mean human body temperature was 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.  Everybody knew it, not just doctors.  However, in 1992, the Journal of the American Medical Association published a study in which scientists actually measured the mean human body temperature, and it turned out to be 98.2 degrees.[1]  So what’s the source of the figure 98.6?  A German physician by the name of Carl Wunderlich came up with it in 1868, and nobody had bothered to check it since then.
[1] Source?

And I don't even have to write anything, I will just re-post my exact entry from last year, where I documented his plagiarism from then, which also documents his plagiarism now, based upon the identical paragraphs:

Lemmie, October 9, 2017 wrote:...the unfortunate part is that he seems to have plagiarized far too many parts of it directly from an op-ed piece published in the Washington Post by Charles Krauthammer, dated July 15, 2002.
[snip!]

Speaking of July 2002, while casually thumbing through some old issues of Time during a relaxing weekend stay with some good friends in picturesque Snowville, Utah (a few hundred yards from the town cemetery), this past weekend, I came across an intriguing article by Michael D. Lemonick and Andrea Dorfman titled "How Life Began" (Time, July 24, 2002). In reading the Time article, I couldn't help but be reminded of another passage in Dr. Peterson's October 9, 2017/2018 blog posts.

Dr. Peterson:
In recent years, contrary to what the biology textbooks led everybody to expect, scientist have found colonies of microbes thriving near hydrothermal vents at the bottom of the ocean. Water, superheated by rising magma and laden with toxic substances like hydrogen, arsenic, lead, cadmium, and hydrogen sulfide, spews forth at temperatures rising up to 750 degrees Fahrenheit.

Time:
It's hard to imagine a more inhospitable place on earth than the hydrothermal vents that pepper the ocean floor. These cracks in the sea bottom spew water superheated by rising magma to as high as 750 degrees F and contaminated with toxic substances such as hydrogen sulfide, cadmium, arsenic and lead. Yet despite these lethal conditions, life not only survives but thrives in the form of colonies of microbes that feed on poison and multiply in temperatures that could hard-boil an egg. . . . Over the past few years, in fact, scientists have been finding life in all sorts of places where biology textbooks say it shouldn't exist.

Dr. Peterson:
Microbial DNA has been located two miles below the Antarctic ice cap.

Time:
The frozen continent of Antarctica is almost equally deadly, but at the other end of the temperature scale. Drill into the ice cap a mile, then another, and you reach, improbably, a body of water known as Lake Vostok that rivals Lake Ontario in size. While scientists haven't yet drilled into the lake itself, they have pulled up samples of frozen lake water clinging to the bottom of the ice cap that contain unmistakable evidence of microbial DNA.

Dr. Peterson:
Living creatures have been found in solid rock at the bottom of deep mines, in brine pools that are five times as salty as the ocean, in volcanic rock twelve hundred feet below the sea floor.

Time:
In the past few months alone, researchers have extracted colonies of microbes that thrive at 137 degrees F in an underground hot spring in Idaho and found others eating into volcanic rock 1,200 ft. beneath the sea floor. . . . [Microorganisms are] living in solid rock at the bottom of deep mines. They're growing in brine pools five times saltier than the ocean[.]

Dr. Peterson:
Where all living organisms were, until recently, thought to depend either directly or indirectly upon the energy of the sun (via photosynthesis, or eating things that live by photosynthesis, or eating things that eat things that live by photosynthesis), organisms have now been discovered that living off of sulfide, methane, iron, manganese, and hydrogen.

Time:
At the bottom of the food chain were microbes that, scientists soon realized, were thriving on nothing more than heat and poison. "They make a living," explains John Baross, of the University of Washington's School of Oceanography, "by oxidizing sulfide, methane, iron and other metals." After years of digging into the sediments in and around vents, Baross discovered that these microbes have adapted to a wide variety of thermal conditions, from room temperature to well above boiling.

While their hardiness was a big surprise, the microbes' ability to eat hydrogen, sulfur, manganese and other chemicals — a process known as known as [sic] chemoautotrophy — was a revelation. Until then, all living systems were thought to depend on photosynthesis, using sunlight as a primary energy source. (Even cave-dwelling or deep-water creatures who never see the sun eat organic matter that ultimately originates from photosynthesis.) But if life could thrive without even indirect contact with sunlight, the amount of potentially habitable real estate on the planet would expand considerably.

If Dr. Peterson did take notes from the Time article, I'd recommend that he credit Mr. Lemonick and Ms. Dorfman. Why didn't he include a citation to Krauthammer in his notes? I have no idea.

By the way, the banana cream pie at Mollie's Cafe in Snowville should not be missed.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

This latest development is just bizarre, but it certainly does open a window into Peterson's motivations.

In October 2018, Peterson re-plagiarized a number of authors by re-posting several old blog entries previously identified as plagiarism. The first time they were identified as plagiarism, Peterson grudgingly added a number of mea culpas that included the sources of his plagiarism, but this time he just re-posted, without adding those sources. This was a blatantly dishonest move on Peterson's part that obviates any previous attempts he has made to call his plagiarism "unintentional" or "inadvertent."

Tom and I both noticed and discussed these October events, and while we noted a few of them here, to be honest, Peterson's theft of intellectual property through plagiarism is such old news that we didn't even bother to report them all. (It's worth noting that Peterson did delete his October 8, 2018 entry that we pointed out was a re-plagiarism of the Washington Post editorial by Krauthammer, only to re-post it, November 2, 2018, with a few more adjectives and adverbs re-arranged. It's still plagiarism, Dan.)

This lack of attention must have irritated the BYU professor, because this month, he has decided to not only plagiarize but to announce the plagarism himself!

DCP, 11.04.18, wrote:It’s been long enough since I typed the words above that I can’t recall how closely, or whether, they’re paraphrased from whatever I was reading at the time.  Fortunately, I have some dedicated critics out there who plainly have lots of disposable time and who have given themselves over to me as unpaid research assistants, and they’ll be delighted should they find the paraphrase (if it is a paraphrase) too close.  They’ll make an indignant fuss on their message board, and that will alert me to the need to rewrite what I’ve shared above before it goes into the final pre-publication manuscript.  I thank them in advance!  If they’re willing — and they certainly seem to be — I’ll probably use them for this purpose in the future, as well.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... alism.html

I didn't even bother to check his blog post, as it is obvious that Peterson is making a play for attention by plagiarizing someone. It is interesting, however, that he admits that what he posted would not be acceptable to an editor. I assume he means because of his incessant larceny, but perhaps not.

I don't imagine that the Patheos website agrees with him that this path to attention is acceptable, however, as their policy is as straightforward as it can possibly be:

By posting, submitting or otherwise exchanging Member Content on or through the Site, you acknowledge, agree and understand that…

(iii) you explicitly represent and warrant that you are the sole owner of such Member Content or have all rights and licenses necessary regarding such Member Content…"

You agree not to use any part of the Patheos Site to…
(xi ) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Member Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party;

https://www.patheos.com/terms-of-use.aspx?p=3

Meanwhile, a BYU professor is attempting to mock his "critics" by blatantly announcing that he will be plagiarizing and publishing online other people's intellectual property as an interim step, just because he can. Sounds like a faculty member exemplifying the BYU Honor Code to me.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

He seems like the criminal character that asks the cops in shows like Dragnet or Barnaby Jones what took them so long to figure out that he is the guilty party. The plagiarism is pretty obvious, so it seems purposeful. Or maybe it is some odd I'm above the law type behavior? Mormonism doesn't allow much rebellion and this might be his way of blowing off some steam?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I think I know why DCP hasn't produced those two books he's been promising....someone else hasn't written them yet!
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

I have a question wrote:I think I know why DCP hasn't produced those two books he's been promising....someone else hasn't written them yet!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

Is DCP really plagiarizing or are we acting petty? I could only read a few posts from this thread but some of these posts claiming DCP is plagiarizing seemed to be focused on DCP's beliefs that can stem from elsewhere and DCP isn't claiming these beliefs as original...

I don't know, this all seems really petty, especially since a lot of the digging is within DCP's blog. It's not like this is some book or article that DCP published containing these plagiarized ideas.

Then again, maybe it is, but I haven't read this whole thread.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

lostindc wrote:Is DCP really plagiarizing or are we acting petty? I could only read a few posts from this thread but some of these posts claiming DCP is plagiarizing seemed to be focused on DCP's beliefs that can stem from elsewhere and DCP isn't claiming these beliefs as original...

I don't know, this all seems really petty, especially since a lot of the digging is within DCP's blog. It's not like this is some book or article that DCP published containing these plagiarized ideas.

Then again, maybe it is, but I haven't read this whole thread.

You should read the whole thread before calling the thread into question. It's an unassailable fact. And people have only casually scratched the surface. The dude is a serial plagiarizer. I've actually kicked around the idea of getting hold of his master thesis & dissertation, and checking them.

- Doc

_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:You should read the whole thread before calling the thread into question. It's an unassailable fact. And people have only casually scratched the surface. The dude is a serial plagiarizer. I've actually kicked around the idea of getting hold of his master thesis & dissertation, and checking them.

- Doc
I'll add on to this that although at first I didn't really understand the big deal (instances seemed isolated, it was just a blog, etc.) from my non-academic perspective. I feel like Lemmie and Tom (as well as others) have done an amazing job laying out the case and explaining why it is a bigger deal than it might seem with just a casual glance. I'd second the idea that you really have to read through this whole thread to gather the scope we are talking about and I'd be surprised if you really looked at each example and didn't come away seeing the plagiarism.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

I vote for Dr. Shades to pin this thread in the HALL OF FAME.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014