It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L. Whitney Clayton Is Rumored To Be The Next Apostle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:41 am 
God

I hope this is wrong. I hope the Church will call someone more racially/culturally diverse and finally take a huge step both symbolic and literally away from its racist past.

My best friend who works at the COB and very close with the First Presidency tells me otherwise and L. Whitney Clayton is at the top of a very short list the Church is considering.

We'll see soon...

"I'm on sabbatical in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books." Daniel C. Peterson in 2012

Post subject: Re: L. Whitney Clayton Is Rumored To Be The Next Apostle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:14 am 
The Outcast

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
I hope this is wrong. I hope the Church will call someone more racially/culturally diverse and finally take a huge step both symbolic and literally away from its racist past.

My best friend who works at the COB and very close with the First Presidency tells me otherwise and L. Whitney Clayton is at the top of a very short list the Church is considering.

We'll see soon...

Who makes the decision now that Monson is so feeble? Nelson? Eyring and Uchtdorf?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:18 am 
God

Clayton has all the right credentials.

https://www.LDS.org/church/leader/l-whi ... n?lang=eng

Quote:
was named Senior President of the Quorums of the Seventy on October 6, 2015.
Quote:
He assists Elder Dallin H. Oaks in supervising the Mexico Area and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland in supervising the Middle East/Africa North Area.
Quote:
Elder Clayton earned a bachelor’s degree in finance at the University of Utah and a law degree at the University of the Pacific. He was an attorney in California, USA, from 1978 to 2001.
Quote:
Elder Clayton was born in Salt Lake City, Utah on February 24, 1950. He married Kathy Ann Kipp in August 1973. They are parents of seven children.

He will definitely be the nomination for Oaks and Holland.
I reckon Christensen is another front runner.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:20 am 
God

sock puppet wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:

We'll see soon...

Who makes the decision now that Monson is so feeble? Nelson? Eyring and Uchtdorf?

Jesus, apparently....

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:13 am 
Stake High Council

I do think he was rumored to be a replacement the last time they needed a position filled. I'm losing interest though. The calling of an apostle is far less divine than filling the empty position at work. So, they'll seek the best candidate who'll not upset their direction. The problem of course, is, that is exactly what is needed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:52 am 
God

The credibility of "God choosing apostles" was ruined way back when Brigham Young ordained his 11-year-old son an apostle. I don't know how you recover the reputation of the process after the most astounding and shameless example of nepotism in history.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:08 pm 
Stake High Council

fetchface wrote:
The credibility of "God choosing apostles" was ruined way back when Brigham Young ordained his 11-year-old son an apostle. I don't know how you recover the reputation of the process after the most astounding and shameless example of nepotism in history.

I don't know maybe BY was thinking the weak will go out and thrash the world, or however that goes. "I'll call this little boy as an apostle and he'll be confounding the great doctors on the steps of the temple".

I mean, it was likely just egregious nepotism disrespecting the whole process and positions, but it's possible there was more noble intents inside BY's tender heart.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:26 pm 
CTR A

I would almost welcome Whitney Clayton getting the promotion. Oh, it would clearly be a setback in many ways. But it would help me further understand and accept that, as Joseph F. Smith testified during the Smoot Hearings, the calling of apostles is done with less revelation than pragmatism.

http://zelphontheshelf.com/prophet-says ... -hearings/

Last edited by Wonhyo on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:30 pm 
God

Stem wrote:
I mean, it was likely just egregious nepotism disrespecting the whole process and positions, but it's possible there was more noble intents inside BY's tender heart.

:lol: I'd believe that if it was just some 11-year-old boy and not his son. This wasn't the only son he ordained as an apostle, after all. God sure wanted Young's sons to be apostles. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:37 pm 
1st Quorum of Seventy

Last edited by Water Dog on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:48 pm 
God

Water Dog wrote:
Well BYU Idaho didn't exist yet, so he couldn't make them president of any universities.

BYUI: making Brigham Young's nepotism a proud tradition.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:10 pm 
God

the next apostle has got to be a black guy- first priority or at least hispanic- if hispanic then all of south america will shout for joy. if black, the utah stronghold of Mormonism will be shaken to its core. if a white guy- it does not matter who- they are all cookie cutter types- same degrees, 900 dollar suits, salt lake voice accent, 5-8 kids, very brown noses and a fake testimony.

i nominate john dehlin, jeremy runnels, and kate kelly -they are all called and get a 1/3 apostolic anointing!!

Ho hum- betting on mr. white though!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm 
God

If ass kissing and brown nosing are requirements then it’s a given. No one has been more of a water carrier for the 12 than Clayton

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:32 pm 
Star A

kairos wrote:
Ho hum- betting on mr. white though!

This Mr. White? He would certainly be an interesting choice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:00 pm 
1st Quorum of Seventy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:28 pm 
CTR A

Water Dog wrote:
What is the precedent for first presidencies when a new prophet is called? If Monson died today and Nelson moved up, would he most likely retain Eyring and Uchtdorf in their current roles?

Yes, that is typical and normal, but when when David O. McKay died in 1970, his successor, Joseph Fielding Smith, did not retain Hugh B. Brown as a member of the First Presidency. That was the first time since the turn of the 20th century that a serving member of the First Presidency had not been retained during a transition to a new President of the Church.

Some think that Brown's relatively progressive ideas on race and his opposition to the priesthood ban put him out of sorts with the far more conservative Joseph Fielding Smith. (Two other members of McKay's First Presidency, Alvin Dyer and Thorpe Isaacson, were also released when Joseph Fielding Smith became the new President of the Church. However, unlike Brown, neither Dyer nor Isaacson were ever members of the Q12. Dyer held the office of apostle, but was not a member of the Quorum. Isaacson was a high priest and bishop, but never ordained to the office of apostle.)

The only other time in modern history - that I'm aware of - where a serving member of the First Presidency was not retained was when Marion Romney was released when Ezra Taft Benson became the President of the Church in 1985. I suppose Romney's poor health at the time explains the reason behind that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:58 pm 
1st Quorum of Seventy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:02 pm 
God

It should be re stated that L Whitney Clayton was behind the Excommunicating of John Dehlin and Kate Kelly. He is rumored to have been the Salt Lake City rep that contacted the Logan stake president asking for the court to be held. A recent Mormon Leak doc seems to confirm that this type of activity is common...even going to the length of removing stake president's who refuse to bend to SL's pressue

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm 
God

Having a law degree and a business background makes sense as a good background to be on Board of Directors for the LDS Corporation. But as far as the oft-neglected religious component goes, there are other considerations. They hit gold when they went out of the country with Uchtdorf. Might be time to consider an apostle of color for the international side of the Church.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:31 pm 
God

Water Dog wrote:
Next couple years could prove interesting. Nelson, Oaks, Ballard, Eyring all older than Hales, late 80s-90s. What would be really interesting is if the top spot ended up changing every couple months. Every six months or so a new prophet, until either Holland or Uchtdorf hold the top spot for a period, then Bednar will have it for a long time. Uchtdorf looks healthier to me.

God I pray to the god I no longer believe in that Bednar ascends to the presidency. He would be a complete mental mind ____ er. The church needs his Nazism to bring the masses to their knees and recognize they're part of a very bizarre, authoritarian religion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm 
Dragon

And of course he is a descendant of William Clayton. The Nepotism just goes on and on, doesn't it?

Trying to understand this world;
But I cast at swine all my pearls,
I cast at swine all my pearls.