Did Elder NELSON develop the heart-lung machine?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Did Elder NELSON develop the heart-lung machine?

Post by _Lemmie »

RockSlider wrote:He may have invented the heart/lung machine, but Al Gore still has him beat by inventing the internet.

:lol: These faith-promoting rumors and urban legends do seem to be piling up lately. Gadianton made an excellent point re this in the other Nelson thread:
Gadianton wrote: it's fascinating the degree people can lie to themselves and others in the relative open. Paul H. Dunn didn't act alone. An extremely revealing incident for me as a TBM was at BYU, in my second Book of Mormon class. This was right during the scandal. The lame teacher I had mentioned it in passing indirectly, like, "the recent incident with..." but did not mentioning Dunn by name, and said he'd known it was going on for 10 years. So, major cog dis, it was just in the back of my mind that if that Book of Mormon teacher knew about it, then certainly many others did too, and no one did anything about it or spoke up?

Mormonism has a culture that promotes unadulterated lying, we will all look the other way so long as what you're lying about is faith promoting.

viewtopic.php?p=1079565#p1079565
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

From Lemmie's post:
Even one of the most famous surgeons of that time [circa 1950's]
vs.
at a meeting of the Vienna Medical Society in 1881 he reportedly muttered
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Doctor Steuss wrote:From Lemmie's post:
Even one of the most famous surgeons of that time [circa 1950's]
vs.
at a meeting of the Vienna Medical Society in 1881 he reportedly muttered
I know, right? That's why I suspect she just borrowed the story. When I was looking into this earlier in the year, I noticed that the histories would credit Gibbons with being the actual pioneer of the open heart technique; but according to Gibbons the first heart operation in the U.S. actually took place half a century earlier, in 1896:
JOHN H. GIBBON, M. D, of New York, says (American Journal of the Medical Sciences, September, 1904) the operation was first suggested by Doctor John. B. Roberts in 1881, and the first operation was reported in 1896.
https://books.google.com/books?id=zVcCA ... D1&f=false
The story of the first operation is invariably followed by quoting the Billroth story, calling him a prominent surgeon "of the time."

I think Ms. Nelson conflated the two time lines, hence her version of the story. It's no more garbled than any other of the facts in her talk. :rolleyes:
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Lemmie wrote:I think Ms. Nelson conflated the two time lines, hence her version of the story. It's no more garbled than any other of the facts in her talk. :rolleyes:
But here’s the thing. Her story doesn’t stack up, the key facts are just plain wrong and Nelson’s role is overstated. Ms. NELSON got this story from the horse’s mouth, her husband. She is regurgitating what he told her. Glorifying your husband is one thing, but this is Russell NELSON glorifying himself firstly to his wife, and then letting her repeat it to the public. He’s literally sat there listening to it and he must know better than we do just how far removed from reality it is.

It’s Paul H. Dunn, Dieter “Hijack Hero” and Holland’s mythical Hell’s Angel all over again.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:
Lemmie wrote:I think Ms. Nelson conflated the two time lines, hence her version of the story. It's no more garbled than any other of the facts in her talk. :rolleyes:
But here’s the thing. Her story doesn’t stack up, the key facts are just plain wrong and Nelson’s role is overstated. Ms. NELSON got this story from the horse’s mouth, her husband. She is regurgitating what he told her. Glorifying your husband is one thing, but this is Russell NELSON glorifying himself firstly to his wife, and then letting her repeat it to the public. He’s literally sat there listening to it and he must know better than we do just how far removed from reality it is.

It’s Paul H. Dunn, Dieter “Hijack Hero” and Holland’s mythical Hell’s Angel all over again.
Excellent point. And this is Wendy Nelson speaking, right? She did not live through it as his first wife did--even more evidence the exaggerations and errors had to have come from him.
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

When I was a teenager I was a home teaching companion and visited Dr. Barney Clark, who was a wealthy dentist in our ward. Inactive. He had a beautiful round home which overlooked Puget Sound.

The University of Utah Medical Center or whatever it was called then made history by installing the first mechanical heart, in him.
BigDub
Nursery

Post by BigDub »

In repetition, it’s hard not to say there has been exuberance, oversimplification and combining of stories, shading of facts and context, by those celebrating, and those minimizing, Dr. Russell Nelson’s role in the development of the heart lung machine used in open heart surgery, and other advancements in cardio-thoracic surgery.

With many contemporaries and colleagues, involved in the development and refinement of the heart lung machine, (who all likely contributed out-of-the-box thinking), now gone and unable to speak, it is probably useful to also include the existing, though limited, words of Dr. John Gibbons, the undisputed “Father of the Heart Lung Machine” in making one’s own conclusions about Dr. Nelson’s involvement (see article and the references at the end):

https://bchcicu.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... aratus.pdf

One might also look in the medical literature to discover and weigh where possible specifics Dr. Nelson contributed to medical science (two references provided below).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 32bfb83b3e

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1802968/
I Have Questions
2nd Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

BigDub wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:39 pm
In repetition, it’s hard not to say there has been exuberance, oversimplification and combining of stories, shading of facts and context, by those celebrating, and those minimizing, Dr. Russell Nelson’s role in the development of the heart lung machine used in open heart surgery, and other advancements in cardio-thoracic surgery.

With many contemporaries and colleagues, involved in the development and refinement of the heart lung machine, (who all likely contributed out-of-the-box thinking), now gone and unable to speak, it is probably useful to also include the existing, though limited, words of Dr. John Gibbons, the undisputed “Father of the Heart Lung Machine” in making one’s own conclusions about Dr. Nelson’s involvement (see article and the references at the end):

One might also look in the medical literature to discover and weigh where possible specifics Dr. Nelson contributed to medical science (two references provided below).

The first link you provided claims Nelson’s involvement was research he conducted on dogs, killing them in the process, and no doubt inflicting suffering on them along the way.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

BigDub wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:39 pm

Dub, I'm glad that you've decided to finally dig this six year-old thorn out of your paw. Let us know how it goes.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

That's nuthin'. My wife thinks I invented doggie treats! NO ONE TELLS HER OTHERWISE.... :twisted: