Circular windows, how could Joseph Smith have known...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Circular windows, how could Joseph Smith have known...

Post by _Shulem »

Mealy-mouthed Wendy wrote:The Prophet Joseph Smith was asked to build a temple in Nauvoo

He was also asked to build a temple in Missouri and so far this prophecy has only yielded a giant corkscrew. Silly Wendy, let the women keep silent in the churches.

_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

If I remember correctly he also invented the back door.

A early revelation that was never printed read...

"And all ye wives of thy servants on missions shall have back doors installed on thy abodes..."
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Did the Lord want pentagram roundrels?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Post by _JLHPROF »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Did the Lord want pentagram roundrels?

Sure, why not?
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Pretty impressive to see the visions of J.R.R. Tolkien, who would not publish The Hobbit until over a hundred years later.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

moksha wrote:

Pretty impressive to see the visions of J.R.R. Tolkien, who would not publish The Hobbit until over a hundred years later.

There you go. This proves that the story of Bilbo and Bag End are true, given that Smith's use of circular windows for (not) the first time predicts and confirms the existence of the same in hobbit huts.
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

DrW wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:Thank goodness for the light of Christ, or else James Renwick would never have put that massive circular window on the front of the Smithsonian Institution.

And there was absolutely no chance whatsoever that Joseph Smith could have come across drawings of European cathedrals with circular windows (some dating back to the 10th century).

Tthey were called oculus and can be found at the Basilica di Santo Stefano al Monte Celio, in Rome, from the 5th Century, as well as the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, also in Rome and also from the 5th Century. Joseph may have been inspired but just 1300 years too late.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Joseph knew the Lord Himself was a true architect of the temple.

When Weeks sought references for his next project, did Joseph say, "well he didn't do nothing. It was the Lord who designed it. Although I will add he tried to rebel against the Lord that was guiding him when he left out round windows. But I set him straight. game over for him. But you could hire him. I mean I don't know what he can do for you...but, you never know. Magic happens...I used to see buried treasure all the time."