Missionary reports on Todd's visit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Re: Missionary reports on Todd's visit

Post by _huckelberry »

The Book of Mormon is a real book. A person can hold and read it. That would be good evidence that the LDS church is a real church. A person might visit a local ward building or perhaps go to Salt Lake City for further demonstration.

I wonder if that proof was what was in view?
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

The Elders wrote:Brothers and Sisters,

The missionaries in this mission recently had the opportunity to hear from Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. When he spoke to us, he emphasized and re-emphasized the importance of the Book of Mormon in spreading the Gospel. Referring to his background in law, he stated that if he were in a courtroom and the task was to prove that the church was true, he would walk up to the judge, slam a copy of the Book of Mormon in front of him, and say, "Your Honor, exhibit A!"
Objection, your honor, lack of authentication and lack of foundation.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Authentication requires "evidence sufficient to support a finding that the matter in question is what its proponent claims". Federal Rule of Evidence 901. Before a proffered exhibit may be admitted into evidence in a courtroom, it must among other things be authenticated.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

In the movie about the famous Scopes Tapir Trial, Inherit the West Desert Wind, Mathew Harrison Brady would slam down the Book of Mormon on the Provo Prosecutor's Desk and declare it to be the truest proof ever provided in the Universe and that for time and eternity it demonstrated conclusively that Man did not descend from the Tapir.
-- H.L. Peterson, author and sole proprietor
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

he stated that if he were in a courtroom and the task was to prove that the church was true, he would walk up to the judge, slam a copy of the Book of Mormon in front of him, and say, "Your Honor, exhibit A!"

If I were in a courtroom and the task was to prove that LDS leaders are fanatics who have no respect for the rule of law or the rules of evidence, I'd call "Todd" as a witness, and tell him to show the judge what he would do if he were in a courtroom and the task was to prove the Church is true. Afterward I'd say, "Your Honor, exhibit A."
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Gadianton wrote:
he stated that if he were in a courtroom and the task was to prove that the church was true, he would walk up to the judge, slam a copy of the Book of Mormon in front of him, and say, "Your Honor, exhibit A!"

If I were in a courtroom and the task was to prove that LDS leaders are fanatics who have no respect for the rule of law or the rules of evidence, I'd call "Todd" as a witness, and tell him to show the judge what he would do if he were in a courtroom and the task was to prove the Church is true. Afterward I'd say, "Your Honor, exhibit A."

Brilliant!

But you’re missing the point completely.
Todd isn’t trying to prove the Book of Mormon is true, he’s trying to convince those Missionaries to sell, sell, sell it door-to-door. It doesn’t matter if the MLM product actually works, only that MLM sellers find more sellers.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')