Christian "Research": Astronomy, the Bible and Numerology

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Christian "Research": Astronomy, the Bible and Numerology

Post by _DrW »

From yet another fine example of how science and religion complement one another when applied in the hands of sincere Christian researchers, the world now knows that rapture will occur this coming Saturday (September 23).

Yes folks, the science of Astronomy, the religion of the Bible, and just a dash of numerology, have been melded to provide humankind with this astounding prediction.

And less faithful Mormons believe that those of their faith are above the practice of such nonsense, let us not forget:

The Planet Uranus Testifies of Christ by Bro. Jon Pratt and

The Kolob Theorem: A Mormon's View of God's Starry Universe by Bro. Lynn Hilton.

Most of us look at this nonsense and chuckle. However, it might not be all that funny in the long run. Many, including me, view the increasingly evident inability, or unwillingness, of a large segment of our society to develop a worldview based on facts, evidence, reason and logic as one of the greatest challenges facing the world in which our children and grandchildren will live.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Christian Research: Astronomy, the Bible and Numerology

Post by _Maksutov »

Thanks for posting this, DrW. On Fox News, this was reported in the "Science" section.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/09/ ... claim.html

The organized and marketed ignorance that is consumer pseudoscience is a growing force in popular culture. It is even gaining ground in academia and healthcare institutions. Not encouraging.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Maksutov wrote:Thanks for posting this, DrW. On Fox News, this was reported in the "Science" section.

Hello Maks,

Tell the truth now - in the age of Trump, were you in any way surprised?
Last edited by Guest on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

DrW wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Thanks for posting this, DrW. On Fox News, this was reported in the "Science" section.

Hello Maks,

Tell the truth now - are you in any way surprised?

Nope. I look at the future and I see a tidal wave of woo.

At one time Americans were proud of their educational institutions. Now they see them as pesky and disposable regulators and restrictors of reality.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Maksutov wrote:
DrW wrote:Hello Maks,

Tell the truth now - are you in any way surprised?

Nope. I look at the future and I see a tidal wave of woo.

At one time Americans were proud of their educational institutions. Now they see them as pesky and disposable regulators and restrictors of reality.

Hopefully your comment does not yet apply to the majority of Americans. But it certainly applies to a loud minority. And this minority, including many Mormons I know, feels a bit dangerous to me.

One small bright spot, methinks that many of the climate change deniers in the South (especially Texas and Florida) have recently "gotten science" on the issue.

When I would mention (before the storm) that the ocean’s thermal energy gain over the 50-year period or so of measurements is more than 20 × 10^22 J of thermal energy, individuals in the conversation didn't seem too concerned. (1 J=1 watt/sec. - so that can translate to billions of terrawatts of power. Hurricane Irma was probably generating something on the order of 2 terrawatts per day in wind energy.)

In any case, some I have spoken with since the storm now seem much more interested in talking about these issues - and more importantly - more interested in listening.

I should mention that one of our friends from the Church, and another individual I had never met, kindly and unexpectedly, showed up at our home during the height of the storm to see if we were okay. Fortunately, they were in time to help secure a palm tree that threatened to fall onto the house. We were able to save the house from major damage, but eventually lost the tree.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Maksutov wrote:At one time Americans were proud of their educational institutions. Now they see them as pesky and disposable regulators and restrictors of reality.

When was that? I was born in '71 and for as long as I can remember public education has been viewed with suspicion and mistrust by Conservative elements in this country. It seems to me secularism and religiosity have always been at odds, well, speaking anecdotally, from at least the 70's moving forward.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Maksutov wrote:At one time Americans were proud of their educational institutions. Now they see them as pesky and disposable regulators and restrictors of reality.

When was that? I was born in '71 and for as long as I can remember public education has been viewed with suspicion and mistrust by Conservative elements in this country. It seems to me secularism and religiosity have always been at odds, well, speaking anecdotally, from at least the 70's moving forward.

- Doc

My comment upthread regarding the hope for majority of Americans who remain rational, and value education, was made considering that a majority of the US population who voted in the last election did not vote for Trump.

Of course, if one wanted to argue the other side of the issue, one need only point to Pew Trust, Gallup and other polls showing that a majority of Americans believe in a supernatural friend who is in control of the world and our lives and would not let anything really bad happen to the Earth he magically created.

_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

DrW wrote:My comment upthread regarding the hope for majority of Americans who remain rational, and value education, was made considering that a majority of the US population who voted in the last election did not vote for Trump.

Of course, if one wanted to argue the other side of the issue, one need only point to Pew Trust, Gallup and other polls showing that a majority of Americans believe in a supernatural friend who is in control of the world and our lives and would not let anything really bad happen to the Earth he magically created.

The problem is we are all susceptible to bad information we don't have time or interest in learning, allowing other groups to manipulate us to think and feel a certain way. Trump won because of this, including help from the Russians. The Russians under Putin are a real problem and are doing this on a number of areas all over the world for their own purposes.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Re: Christian "Research": Astronomy, the Bible and Numerolog

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

DrW wrote: Uranus Testifies of Christ

that is blasphemy
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Re: Christian "Research": Astronomy, the Bible and Numerolog

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
DrW wrote: Uranus Testifies of Christ
that is blasphemy

it is not that thing

nobody are insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence to a deity
blasphemy wrote:insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence to a deity, to religious or holy persons or sacred things, or toward something considered sacred or inviolable
:
- nothing against zeus
- nothing against flying spaghetti monster
- nothing against orixa
- nothing against uranus, which is the seventh planet of solar system, and may have been god - last time - only for babylonians... unfortunately, their sight has reached only saturnus (do you know the word saturday?)
- nothing against gods who have listed in this five years old comment (long... as long as the lenght of list of gods around):

my favourite is "Dumu-zi-abzu", similar to the scripture (as far as it is scripture now...)
- "Enish-go-on-dosh"
- "Kae-e-vanrash" (which is the grand Key, or, in other words, the governing power, which governs fifteen other fixed planets or stars)
- "Kli-flos-is-es, or Hah-ko-kau-beam" (the stars represented by numbers 22 and 23, receiving light from the revolutions of Kolob)
- i have no other data about astronomy, as:
Fig. 9. Ought not to be revealed at the present time.
Fig. 10. Also.
Fig. 11. Also. If the world can find out these numbers, so let it be. Amen.
Figures 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, and 21 will be given in the own due time of the Lord.
The above translation is given as far as we have any right to give at the present time.

'an old member' wrote:“Where is the graveyard of dead gods?” - By H. L. Mencken and George Jean Nathan
(from The Smart Set, March, 1922)

THRENODY.— Where is the graveyard of dead gods? What lingering mourner waters their mounds? There was a day when Jupiter was the king of all the gods, and any man who doubted his puissance was ipso facto a barbarian and an ignoramus. But where in all the world is there a man who worships Jupiter today? And what of Huitzilopochtli? In one year — and it was but five hundred years ago — no less than 50,000 youths and maidens were slain in sacrifice to him. Today, if he is remembered at all, it is only by some vagrant savage in the depths of the Mexican forest. Huitzilopochtli, like many other gods, had no human father; his mother was a virtuous widow; he was born of an apparently innocent flirtation that she carried on with the sun. When he frowned, his father, the sun, stood still. When he roared with rage, earthquakes engulfed whole cities. When he thirsted, he was watered with 10,000 gallons of human blood. But today Huitzilopochtli is as magnificently forgotten as Allen G. Thurman. Once the peer of Allah, he is now the peer of General Coxey, Richmond P. Hobson, Nan Patterson, Alton G. Parker, Adelina Patti, General Weyler and Tom Sharkey.

Speaking of Huitzilopochtli recalls his brother, Tezcatlipoca. Tezcatlipoca was almost as powerful: he consumed 25,000 virgins a year. Lead me to his tomb: I would weep, and hang a couronne des perles! But who knows where it is? Or where the grave of Quetzdcoatl is? Or Tlaloc? Or Chalchihuftlicue? Or Xiehtecutii? Or Centeotl, that sweet one? Or Tlazoltcotl, the goddess of love ? Or Mictlan? Or Ixtlilton? Or Omacatl? Or Yacatecutli? Or Mixcoatl? Or Xipe? Or all the host of Tzitzimitles? Where are their bones? Where is the willow on which they hung their harps? In what forlorn and unheard-of hell do they await the resurrection morn? Who enjoys their residuary estates? Or that of Dis, whom Caesar found to be the chief god of the Celts? Or that of Tarvos, the bull? Or that of Moccos, the pig? Or that of Epona, the mare? Or that of Mullo, the celestial jackass? There was a time when the Irish revered all these gods as violently as they now hate the English. But today even the drunkest Irishman laughs at them.

But they have company in oblivion: the hell of dead gods is as crowded as the Presbyterian hell for babies. Damona is there, and Esus, and Drunemeton, and Silvana, and Dervones, and Adsalluta, and Deva, and Belisama, and Axona, and Vintios, and Taranucus, and Stdis, and Cocidius, and Adsmcrius, and Dumiatis, and Caletos, and Moccus, and Ollovidius, and Albiorix, and Leucitius, and Vitucadrus, and Ogmios, and Uxellimus, and Borvo, and Grannos, and Mogons. All mighty gods in their day, worshipped by millions, full of demands and impositions, able to bind and loose — all gods of the first class, not pikers. Men labored for generations to build vast temples to them — temples with stones as large as hay-wagons. The business of interpreting their whims occupied thousands of priests, wizards, archdeacons, evangelists, haruspices, bishops, archbishops. To doubt them was to die, usually at the stake. Armies took to the field to defend them against infidels: villages were burned, women and children were butchered, cattle were driven off. Yet in the end they all withered and died, and today there is none so poor to do them reverence. Worse, the very tombs in which they lie are lost, and so even a respectful stranger is debarred from paying them the slightest and politest homage.

What has become of Sutekh, once the high god of the whole Nile Valley?
What has become of:

Resheph
Baal
Anath
Astarte
Ashtoreth
Hadad
El
Addu
Nergal
Shalem
Nebo
Dagon
Ninib
Sharrab
Melek
Yau
Ahijah
Amon-Re
Isis
Osiris
Ptah
Sebek
Anubis
Molech

All these were once gods of the highest class. Many of them are mentioned with fear and trembling in the Old Testament. They ranked, five or six thousand years ago, with Jahveh himself; the worst of them stood far higher than Thor or Wotan. Yet they have all gone down the chute, and with them the following;

Bile
Gwydion
Ler
Manawyddan
Arianrod
Nuada Argetlam
Morrigu
Tadg
Govannon
Goibniu
Gundfled
Odin
Sokk-mimi
Llaw Gyffes
Memctona
Lieu
Dagda
Ogma
Kerridwen
Mider
Pwyll
Rigantona
Ogyrvan
Marzin
Dea Denver International Airport
Mars
Ceres
Jupiter
Vaticanus
Cunina
Edulia
Potina
Adeona
Statilinus
Iuno Lucina
Diana of Rhesus
Saturn
Robigus
Furrina
Pluto
Vediovis
Ops
Consus
Meditrina
Cronos
Vesta
Enki
Tilmun
Engurra
Zer-panitu
Belus
Merodach
Dimmer
U-ki
Mu-ul-lil
Dauke
Ubargisi
Gasan-abzu
Ubilulu
Elum
Gasan-lil
U-TinHlir ki
U-dimmer-an-kia
Marduk
Enurestu
Nin-HMa
U-sab-sib
Kin
U-Mersi
Persophone
Tammuz
Istar
Venus
Lagas
Bau
U-urugal
Hulu-hursang
Sirtumu
Anu
Ea
Beltis
Nirig
Nusku
Ncbo
Ni-zu
Samas
Sahi
Ma-banba-aima
Aa
En-Mersi
Allatu
Amurm
Sin
Assur
Abil-Addu
Aku
Apsu
Beltu
Dagan
Dumu-zi-abzu
Elali
Kuski-banda
Isum
Kaawanu
Mami
Nin-azu
Nin-mah
Lugal-Amarada
Zaraqu
Qarradu
Ura-gala
Suqamunu
Zagaga
Ueras

You may think I spoof. That I invent the names. I do not. Ask your pastor to lend you any good treatise on comparative religion: you will find them all listed. They were all gods of the highest standing and dignity — gods of civilized peoples — worshipped and believed in by millions. All were theoretically omnipotent, omniscient and immortal. And all are dead.

also:
or, you may have a dirty imagination --- and have read uranus as "your anus" ?
phew, thomas...
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.