It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:38 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
RockSlider wrote:
Brother Consig, it's so nice to meet you. I've heard so much about you. Oh by the way, those Apostolic Coup-D-Etat podcasts, you are going to need to pull those down or I'll have to call a court of love for you.

Other than that, how is your family doing?

Sorry guys, he has all the authority over Consig that he needs and wants, in regards to Consig's membership.


Maybe it would be appropriate to agree to pull them down . . .

. . . as soon as he can show me anything factually wrong with them.

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:38 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:57 am
Posts: 3949
Location: Las Vegas, NV
consiglieri wrote:
Maybe a calling to the high council?

Keep your friends close...

Image

_________________
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:39 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:06 pm
Posts: 16343
Location: Northern Virginia
consiglieri wrote:
A suppose a valid response would be that I will start going back to church when they start giving me something to go back to church for.


I really did try to go back and make it work several times, but it was just too painful and ultimately impossible. These days, every time I think maybe I could give it another shot, I remember how bad it was before, and that's enough. Honestly, even if I could get over all the issues I have with the church, I associate church activity with feeling really terrible about myself, and I don't ever want to feel that way again.

_________________
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:40 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
Fence Sitter wrote:
I have never had a phone call or an email in which the stake president asked me for a visit or meeting.

This isn't random and it probably isn't just to get to know you better.

In Mormonism one gets disciplined for failing to follow instructions from leadership.

Don't give them the chance to give you "instructions".

Asking them what the meeting is about is no guarantee that the meeting will be limited to what ever answer they give.


You are right that it is a bit strange to be asked by the stake president, a guy who has never met me, and whom I have never met, to have a meeting at his office.

Why on earth would he want to talk to me?

My friend gives a possible reason in his email, saying that my friend is his councilor and has talked to the stake president about me.

But it doesn't necessarily sound too sinister, since my friend shares my opinions about the ridiculousness of President Nelson's last General Conference talk.

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:41 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
Jersey Girl wrote:
I think if you're going to the principal's office, you should take a buddy with you. Like a wife type buddy. Go make friends as a couple.

;-)


The divorce I am going through makes that problematic at present.

On the other hand, my friend who is the second councilor will be there.

I wonder whose side he will wind up on if he has to choose?

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:44 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
Dr. Shades wrote:
First, ask what it'll be about.
Second, make sure that it's at your house, not at his office.
Third, call him by his first name, not by his title.


Good ideas!

I have asked what it will be about.

I have received a somewhat ambiguous reply, but clarified it is not about calling me to repentance, but talking about different "issues" going on in the stake. (That could cover a lot of ground.)

On the other hand, I would not in a thousand years expect my friend would be setting me up for anything bad.

His office is okay with me, because I would rather not have him know where I live just a few blocks from the stake center. (Recently moved to an apartment.)

I don't even know what his first name is. I should find out. His last name is Flake. Maybe calling him President Flake isn't too respectful?

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:46 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
Runtu wrote:
About 5 years ago, I went to a stake conference with my wife, and the stake president said that anyone who was struggling with historical or doctrinal questions should make an appointment to see him, as he was sure he could help. My wife said he was obviously meaning someone like me. So, just for the heck of it, I went and saw him. He basically said that he recognized the same problems I did, and acknowledged that, if he didn't have a testimony, it would seem like an obvious fraud to him. But he gave me a couple of names: Spencer Fluhman, with whom I had a really great conversation, and Kerry Muhlestein. Being familiar with Muhlestein's work, I declined to contact him.

I have been doing a little background research on President Flake.

I understand he is a CES man.

My home teacher told me this, and added that he must be smart and really know his scriptures.

I said that being in CES is usually synonymous with being a dummy. Just look at Elder Packer.

But being in CES, maybe President Flake does think he has an inside line to resources I don't know about.

Good point!

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:48 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
Runtu wrote:
I really did try to go back and make it work several times, but it was just too painful and ultimately impossible. These days, every time I think maybe I could give it another shot, I remember how bad it was before, and that's enough. Honestly, even if I could get over all the issues I have with the church, I associate church activity with feeling really terrible about myself, and I don't ever want to feel that way again.

Agreed.

Separate and apart from all the issues relating to Mormonism, I could still attend if attending were a good experience in and of itself.

But it isn't.

LDS church meetings are not somewhere I would voluntarily go for one minute, not to mention three hours!

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:16 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:48 pm
Posts: 5392
Oh goodie goodie gumdrops, I smell the scent of an excommunication. Perhaps you'll elect to beat them to the punch like Jeremy Runnells did, and resign. Either way, things are about to change for you.

Do me a favor, pretty please; ask your Stake President three questions:

1. What is the Egyptian king's name written above the head of Fig. 2 in Facsimile No. 3?

2. Why are female gods in Facsimile No. 3 identified as men?

3. Why is the mighty lord Anubis called a slave?

_________________
A fool said, "Say what you like. The figure which Joseph Smith identifies as the "slave" is not an image of Anubis, nor is it functioning as Anubis in the image that is displayed." (zerinus)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:24 pm 
Sunbeam

Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:44 am
Posts: 70
consiglieri wrote:
Runtu wrote:
I really did try to go back and make it work several times, but it was just too painful and ultimately impossible. These days, every time I think maybe I could give it another shot, I remember how bad it was before, and that's enough. Honestly, even if I could get over all the issues I have with the church, I associate church activity with feeling really terrible about myself, and I don't ever want to feel that way again.

Agreed.

Separate and apart from all the issues relating to Mormonism, I could still attend if attending were a good experience in and of itself.

But it isn't.

LDS church meetings are not somewhere I would voluntarily go for one minute, not to mention three hours!

I'm curious. A) Why are you still a member of the LDS Church? B) Why do you create your Radio Free Mormon podcasts?

The reason I'm curious is because the one about True Believing Mormons that I listened to was pretty antagonistic. I'm genuinely curious about your goals, motivations, and expectations.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:44 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:06 pm
Posts: 16343
Location: Northern Virginia
Viriatu wrote:
I'm curious. A) Why are you still a member of the LDS Church? B) Why do you create your Radio Free Mormon podcasts?

The reason I'm curious is because the one about True Believing Mormons that I listened to was pretty antagonistic. I'm genuinely curious about your goals, motivations, and expectations.

Isn't it obvious? We are trying to destroy the church, one testimony at a time. And it's easier from the inside. It couldn't be that having an outlet of expression can help people work through the pain and loss of leaving the church.

_________________
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:48 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
Shulem wrote:
Oh goodie goodie gumdrops, I smell the scent of an excommunication. Perhaps you'll elect to beat them to the punch like Jeremy Runnells did, and resign. Either way, things are about to change for you.

Do me a favor, pretty please; ask your Stake President three questions:

1. What is the Egyptian king's name written above the head of Fig. 2 in Facsimile No. 3?

2. Why are female gods in Facsimile No. 3 identified as men?

3. Why is the mighty lord Anubis called a slave?


You are a one-trick pony, my friend.

But the pony is a good one.

And the trick is pretty amazing.

I like it!

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:50 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:16 pm
Posts: 26575
Location: Off the Deep End
consiglieri wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
I think if you're going to the principal's office, you should take a buddy with you. Like a wife type buddy. Go make friends as a couple.

;-)


The divorce I am going through makes that problematic at present.

On the other hand, my friend who is the second councilor will be there.

I wonder whose side he will wind up on if he has to choose?


Oh I'm sorry. Welp, you could always bring a new friend and introduce them as an investigator.

:smile:

Good luck!

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:51 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
Viriatu wrote:
I'm curious. A) Why are you still a member of the LDS Church? B) Why do you create your Radio Free Mormon podcasts?

The reason I'm curious is because the one about True Believing Mormons that I listened to was pretty antagonistic. I'm genuinely curious about your goals, motivations, and expectations.

My goal is to actually use the principle I was taught as a Mormon of doing what is right, let the consequence follow.

My motivation is to actually do what I was taught as a Mormon to seek after the truth, no matter where it leads.

My expectation is that I will learn that when I joined the church and was told by leaders to study the scriptures and learn everything I could about Mormonism, they really didn't mean it.

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:52 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
Jersey Girl wrote:
Oh I'm sorry. Welp, you could always bring a new friend and introduce them as an investigator.

:smile:

Good luck!

Thanks, Jersey!

So . . . you doing anything tomorrow night?

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:52 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:28 pm
Posts: 1849
consiglieri wrote:
I got an email from a friend who happens to have been made second counselor in the newly organized stake presidency.

My friend said the stake president wants to meet with me tomorrow night at 7:30.

Here is what the email said:

Quote:
Consiglieri,

Sorry for my long delayed response! I apologize for not having reached out at all last couple months. Hope things are going well for you. I’ve caught a couple of your Radio Free Mormon podcasts! I have to say I had the same reaction you did to Pres. Nelson’s story in April 2017 conference re: the Laurel who didn’t participate in a HS state competition so she could attend/participate in a stake RS meeting.

We have a new stake president, who’s a great guy. He’d like a chance to meet you and asked me to reach out to see if you have availability either this Thursday (9/14) at 7:30 pm or this Sunday (9/17) at 3:00 pm. He and I have spoken about some happenings in the stake, and he’s hoping to expand his understanding about a variety of things.

Let me know if one of those times works and I’ll confirm with him.

Thanks,

Thoughts?

I was invited into the stake president office also a few years ago...here's what happened...and what I did...

A few years ago I was invited to meet with my wife’s stake president…at first I declined but after thinking about it…I thought that yes , it would be a good time to confront him with my apostasy. At the appointed time on a Sunday afternoon I arrived for our appointment wearing a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. After all I wanted to dress appropriately. He was kind and greeting me with an “Oh it’s so good to see you again Brother Paxton”. I reminded him that my name was Craig and preferred to be addressed as such. I also greeting him by his first name John as well. After a bit of small talk I reminded him that he had asked to see me to which he said…he wanted to get an update on where I was with regard to the church. I lowered both barrels and took my aim.

John, I said, I am more convinced than ever that the Mormon Church is not what it claims to be. Although I respect the church in many ways, I do not now or ever plan on ever returning to Mormonism.

I told him that I do not recognize him as holding any special magical powers or authority over me and in fact I then issued him this challenge.

John, I said, I am so sure that you do not hold any special magical priesthood powers that I want you right now to raise your arm to the square and in the name of Jesus Christ and with the full supposed power of your God and priesthood I want you to strike me deaf and dumb just like the fictional Alma did to the fictional character Korihor in your fictional Book of Mormon. He literally looked like a deer caught in the head lights…I don’t think anyone had ever questioned his authority or powers…he just sat there staring blankly… he didn’t say a word…so I said…come on John, Do It…Do It!!!

Again he just sat there completely silent…so I said…come on John you and I both know it’s all a crock of ____…You’re a smart guy…you can figure it out….you could do a lot of good to those you DO have influence over by coming clean with them and telling them the truth.

With this he kind of stuttered and finally caught himself and said…well we do love you Craig. And that was it.

So that was about it…I bore him my testimony that Mormonism was a crock of ____ and NOT what it claims to be…to this day I can still both hear and speak…well at least for the time being…

_________________
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:55 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
Awesome story, Craig!

You rock!!!

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:05 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:42 pm
Posts: 18026
Location: Koloburbia
Wonder why they are acting at this time? Do you think a particular podcast was brought to the attention of the Brethren (assuming the stake president request was ordered by HQ)?

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:14 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
moksha wrote:
Wonder why they are acting at this time? Do you think a particular podcast was brought to the attention of the Brethren (assuming the stake president request was ordered by HQ)?

I will tell you that Rock Waterman and Denver Snuffer have taken an especial interest in the Apostolic Coup d'état episodes.

But those are a bit intellectual.

More likely is the Wrong Roads podcast where I make merciless fun of Elder Holland for telling such a dodo story.

That podcast has been more popular than any other episode so far.

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:39 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5240
This just in from another of my sources who actually knows President Flake:

Quote:
Just returning your call. David Flake is a CES director. Related to the Flake line of Morridor. All his kids go to BYU Idaho, i.e., BYU Riyadh.

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:01 am
Posts: 6669
consiglieri wrote:
I got an email from a friend who happens to have been made second counselor in the newly organized stake presidency.

My friend said the stake president wants to meet with me tomorrow night at 7:30.

Here is what the email said:

Quote:
Consiglieri,

Sorry for my long delayed response! I apologize for not having reached out at all last couple months. Hope things are going well for you. I’ve caught a couple of your Radio Free Mormon podcasts! I have to say I had the same reaction you did to Pres. Nelson’s story in April 2017 conference re: the Laurel who didn’t participate in a HS state competition so she could attend/participate in a stake RS meeting.

We have a new stake president, who’s a great guy. He’d like a chance to meet you and asked me to reach out to see if you have availability either this Thursday (9/14) at 7:30 pm or this Sunday (9/17) at 3:00 pm. He and I have spoken about some happenings in the stake, and he’s hoping to expand his understanding about a variety of things.

Let me know if one of those times works and I’ll confirm with him.

Thanks,

Thoughts?

Do you want to meet with him?

If so, why?

_________________
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: huckelberry and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group