Former Stake President comes out as a woman.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Re: Former Stake President comes out as a woman.

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Themis wrote: Why shouldn't we expect God's one true church be at the front of positive change?

You may expect that to be the case. I don't. Basically because people are at the front of positive change. God, I'm sure, supports folks when they get their act together.

But I think we've been down this road before, Themis. :wink:

Regards,
MG
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Themis wrote:... if God is just sitting on his ass, God is partly responsible for not initiating positive change on the world.

I think that is a myopic way of viewing things. And I'm not going to be the one, by the way, to judge God and how He goes about accomplishing His work. But I really doubt he's twiddling his thumbs. :wink:

Regards,
MG
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

mentalgymnast to Jersey Girl wrote:What a nit picker! This response says a lot. Like I said recently, Jersey, I had a certain amount of respect for you a while back. I don't know what got into you...maybe a bit of Lemmie...but you're just plain mean and disrespectful, more often than not, nowadays. The "blah blah blah" stuff you were doing recently...juvenile.

Oh, yes, I left the computer right after the post that you so promptly responded to. It's like you were waiting by your computer and looking at your watch and determining what was the line between leaving and staying around too long. Ridiculous.

Your response did not lend itself to a productive/civil conversation and/or discussion. It would have lead us down a road that ultimately leads to a cul-de-sac/dead end where we ultimately find ourselves going round and round wasting each other's time.

Not going there with you.

Regards,
MG

DocNC4Me to mentalgymnast, wrote:Your response does not lend itself to a productive/civil conversation and/or discussion. It does lead us down a road that ultimately leads to a cul-de-sac/dead end where we find ourselves going round and round wasting each other's time. Rather than leading us in an unproductive/uncivil direction, you might want to add substantively to the discussion?
Last edited by Guest on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Nightlion wrote:I cannot think of a time MG ever replied to anything I ever said. Blindness. Madness. Hatefulness.

What brought that on?

Your response does not lend itself to a productive/civil conversation and/or discussion. It does lead us down a road that ultimately leads to a cul-de-sac/dead end where we find ourselves going round and round wasting each other's time. Rather than leading us in an unproductive/uncivil direction, you might want to add substantively to the discussion?

Some of you folks seem to be carrying around a chip on your shoulder. Chill out.

If I want to respond to you, I will.

Regards,
MG

DocNC4Me to mentalgymnast wrote:Your response does not lend itself to a productive/civil conversation and/or discussion. It does lead us down a road that ultimately leads to a cul-de-sac/dead end where we find ourselves going round and round wasting each other's time. Rather than leading us in an unproductive/uncivil direction, you might want to add substantively to the discussion?
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Lemmie wrote:
DocNC4Me to mentalgymnast wrote:Your response does not lend itself to a productive/civil conversation and/or discussion. It does lead us down a road that ultimately leads to a cul-de-sac/dead end where we find ourselves going round and round wasting each other's time. Rather than leading us in an unproductive/uncivil direction, you might want to add substantively to the discussion?

Lemmie, are you responding on behalf of DocNC4Me ? Two posts in a row that are posted by you, but they seem to be a response from DocNC4Me. Did he ask you to speak for him?

It might be well if you spoke for yourself rather than channeling someone else? :wink:

Regards,
MG
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Lemmie, are you responding on behalf of DocNC4Me ? Two posts in a row that are posted by you, but they seem to be a response from DocNC4Me. Did he ask you to speak for him?

It might be well if you spoke for yourself rather than channeling someone else? :wink:

Regards,
MG

DocNC4Me wrote:Your response does not lend itself to a productive/civil conversation and/or discussion. It does lead us down a road that ultimately leads to a cul-de-sac/dead end where we find ourselves going round and round wasting each other's time. Rather than leading us in an unproductive/uncivil direction, you might want to add substantively to the discussion?
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Themis wrote: Why shouldn't we expect God's one true church be at the front of positive change?

You may expect that to be the case. I don't. Basically because people are at the front of positive change. God, I'm sure, supports folks when they get their act together.

But I think we've been down this road before, Themis. :wink:

Ya you've been down this road with many people for avoiding the main issues in our posts. I answered your question of how we can know church leaders are not in communication by looking at the available evidence. The priesthood ban is a good example. The Bible tells many stories of God communicating with man on many issues. Peter getting revelation to take the gospel to non-Jews is classic and very relevant to this issue. I doubt it would have been popular to Peter or his followers. God of the Bible is quite concerned about what his people believe and do, but with Mormons not at all. Other then how many earrings women wear. Good evidence against the church's claims.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Themis wrote:... if God is just sitting on his ass, God is partly responsible for not initiating positive change on the world.

I think that is a myopic way of viewing things. And I'm not going to be the one, by the way, to judge God and how He goes about accomplishing His work. But I really doubt he's twiddling his thumbs. :wink:

Regards,
MG

You argue that he is twiddling his thumbs and don't even realize it. I don't judge God, but claims being made about people who say they represent God's will.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Themis wrote:I answered your question of how we can know church leaders are not in communication by looking at the available evidence.

The available evidence is what we see in front of us. The church as it is. The Stakes and Wards as they are and how they move forward the work and provide blessings/opportunities for those that have chosen to be disciples of Christ. It's possible to spend a life tinkering with the nuts and bolts and question how they do or don't fit together perfectly...but the fact is, the machine works. Granted, it's not for everyone...but the fullness of gospel message IS the evidence that God loves us, sent His son, restored His Priesthood, provided a way for families to be together forever, etc.

And even though the earthly "machine"/vehicle may not be one in which everyone wants to ride, it provides for those folks, also. The doctrine of the LDS church encompasses and provides for everyone...even those who aren't in the car traveling down the 'LDS road'.

These message boards are mainly concerned with the nuts and bolts rather than the functioning machine...the fruits...of the restoration. And from the outside looking in, it's difficult to recognize those fruits. The folks who do are those that have tasted the fruit and stay on the path rather than entering in and inhabiting the great and spacious building and/or going off on other paths. I think the Book of Mormon's TofL narrative really does 'get it right' as one looks at our day.

Regards,
MG
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Themis wrote:I answered your question of how we can know church leaders are not in communication by looking at the available evidence.

The available evidence is what we see in front of us. The church as it is. The Stakes and Wards as they are and how they move forward the work and provide blessings/opportunities for those that have chosen to be disciples of Christ. It's possible to spend a life tinkering with the nuts and bolts and question how they do or don't fit together perfectly...but the fact is, the machine works. Granted, it's not for everyone...but the fullness of gospel message IS the evidence that God loves us, sent His son, restored His Priesthood, provided a way for families to be together forever, etc.

And even though the earthly "machine"/vehicle may not be one in which everyone wants to ride, it provides for those folks, also. The doctrine of the LDS church encompasses and provides for everyone...even those who aren't in the car traveling down the 'LDS road'.

These message boards are mainly concerned with the nuts and bolts rather than the functioning machine...the fruits...of the restoration. And from the outside looking in, it's difficult to recognize those fruits. The folks who do are those that have tasted the fruit and stay on the path rather than entering in and inhabiting the great and spacious building and/or going off on other paths. I think the Book of Mormon's TofL narrative really does 'get it right' as one looks at our day.

Regards,
MG

In what way would it be real evidence that God exists or that God loves us and sent his son and such? Thee have been many successful religions or societal machines.