Three Cheers for Louis Midgley!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Three Cheers for Louis Midgley!

Post by _consiglieri »

The very first issue of the FARMS Review of Books on the Book of Mormon (ROBOTBOM) in 1989 was very influential to me. Specifically because of a review written by Louis Midgley taking to task Robert Millett and Joseph Fielding McConkie for their Book of Mormon Doctrinal Commentary.

I had started to realize through my own reading that the typical path of Mormon studies was to lead away from the questions raised by the scriptures and back to safe ground in firmly established and correlated Mormon Doctrine.

I remember reading (in the early 1980's) through the standard works, and reading the Institute Manuals along with them. These were big hefty manuals and I felt certain that they would help me understand the scriptures better.

And I did learn quite a bit from the manuals.

But time and again I kept finding strange and intriguing things in the scriptures (particularly the Doctrine and Covenants) that I would have a question about, and then when I read the accompanying chapter from the manual, the question was either not addressed, or addressed in such a way as to change the meaning of the verse to make it accord with Mormon Doctrine.

It was a few years later I read Midgley's review, and found it speaking to me at the point I was in my spiritual development.

Here is a link to the review for any who are interested.

https://publications.mi.byu.edu/fullscr ... 4&index=12

Let me see if I can find a few of the quotes from this excellent review that meant so much to me at the time, and still do today.

. . . it is a mistake for us to claim to possess the one and only proper mode of interpretation and explication, since, when we begin to focus on any one theme or thread to the exclusion of the whole and especially in opposition to the legitimate work of others on other threads or themes, we threaten to warp the world that is called into existence by our text.

And I couldn't believe he said the next thing about McConkie and Millet!

From my perspective, the Book of Mormon signals that far more is going on in the restoration achieved through its means than merely an awkward way of providing a random assortment of theological gems that we can fit into our own schema.

That is exactly how I had come to feel about not only most LDS doctrinal writing, but all the church manuals, as well!

It is ironic that, as we praise the Book of Mormon, we may indulge an urge to systematize and even elaborate where the sacred text–one that should function as our canon–remains silent. From the desire to have tidy synopses of Mormon doctrines, we may sow seeds of contention, and end up disputing over what we may even want to identify as the doctrines of salvation.

Yes! I had come to have similar feelings to the correlated doctrine; that it was attempting to box me in instead of allowing me to explore. And I couldn't help note how Midgley intentionally used the term "doctrines of salvation," which he knew perfectly well was the title of the three-volume compendium Bruce R. McConkie (Joseph Fielding McConkie's dad) had made of Joseph Fielding Smith's writings, and after whom Bruce R. McConkie named his son, one of the two authors of this commentary. A master stroke!

The flaws in Doctrinal Commentary are ones common to much of Mormon scholarship. The tendency is to divert attention away from the message and meaning in the text under consideration, and back towards what we already know. Such efforts do not enhance our understanding; they tend to make the very teachings they celebrate seem merely sentimental and insubstantial.

This was a godsend to me! Not only did Midgley see the problem in this book, but also in other books relating to Mormon studies. I wasn't alone in thinking this! You can imagine how much this meant to me, especially before the age of the Internet!

I know that from time to time, Louis Midgley has come in for criticism on this board, but I wanted to make it known that he has written some things that have been very important for me personally.

And for that, I am sincerely grateful to him.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Three Cheers for Louis Midgley!

Post by _Fence Sitter »

consiglieri wrote:I know that from time to time, Louis Midgley has come in for criticism on this board, but I wanted to make it known that he has written some things that have been very important for me personally.

And for that, I am sincerely grateful to him.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

I was lucky enough to have him for several classes at BYU. Perhaps my favorite class in college was one on the Federalist Papers, which he taught. He was an outstanding teacher.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

I likewise remember that outstanding review of Midgley's and realized there were some out there who saw the problem with the basic Mormon historical approach which was regurgitated in Sunday School far too often. It meant a lot to me also. Now if he could just see that is one of the reasons why I don't put a lot of sauce into much of anything coming out of Mormons because they haven't changed from the critique Midgley gave them way back then.

And we don't pick on Dan Peterson as Midgley has claimed to Shades. We wipe out his actual arguments and supposed historical evidences, and Dr. Peterson takes it all far too personal, and therefore makes it about him when it isn't.

And the weird thing is the Interpreter has resorted back to the tripe (Boyce for example) that Midgley made mince meat of lo those many years ago! Too weird. And Dan Peterson takes umbrage when we take notice that the stuff he's publishing ain't worth spit. Just like his friend Lou Midgley showed! And he thinks he is being picked on. And Midgley thinks so too? Too weird.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Excellent sentiments. Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray!
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I agree with consig and others that Midgley has done and written some great things. His opposition to Birchers is legendary. His autobiographical essay about discovering Nibley was beautifully written and emotionally moving.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Midgley wrote a stinging response to Glen Hettinger's comments on Midgley's comments in Dialogue about Brodie's book on Jefferson. Since there were nonlds critics of Brodie's book on Jefferson the same criticisms could be made about Brodie's book on Smith.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

aussieguy55 wrote:Midgley wrote a stinging response to Glen Hettinger's comments on Midgley's comments in Dialogue about Brodie's book on Jefferson. Since there were nonlds critics of Brodie's book on Jefferson the same criticisms could be made about Brodie's book on Smith.

While Midgley was correct that the same criticisms of Brodie's Jefferson book could have been applied to NMNMH, in both cases Brodie was vindicated.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

I'm happy that there's finally a message board out there that gives the apologists their proper praise for the good things they have done.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

My very limited experience with Midgley has been somewhat negative. I posted a reply to a Dan Peterson article, and Midgley, replying, ignored the topic, and said I was hiding behind my nome de plume. I replied to Midgley that Joseph Smith used a nome de plume in his writings. Midgley again ignored my topic and turned attention instead to the fact that I had mispelled :surprised: Midgley's name. To me it was typical apologist B.S. :rolleyes:

The guy is probably brilliant, he just chose to show me his less than brilliant side.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

I do commiserate with Consig., the McConkie/Millet type books which have pervaded LDS religious studies for years, seem to discourage coming up with new interpretations. It's typical "appeal to authority" writing, which shouldn't be surprising, since even Joseph Smith's M.O. (over?)emphasized authority.