Bill Reel, Mormon Stories

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Bill Reel, Mormon Stories

Post by _RockSlider »

http://www.mormonstories.org/bill-reel-evolution/

When I first heard Bill Reel, it was on/from the old NOM board. I bashed him a bit there. I'm one who does not like the push for Nuanced (progressive) Mormonism. I say walk away.

However, Bill's dealings with FairMormon and especially his vocal public stance on the children of homosexuals policy pushed him way up on my appreciation scale.

Listening to John fast fire dangerous questions to Bill and his handling of those questions was impressive to me. My hat's off to Bill and his dedication and passion to doing something good in the world of Mormonism.

A recommended listen.

Thank you Bill!
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Re: Bill Reel, Mormon Stories

Post by _fetchface »

RockSlider wrote:When I first heard Bill Reel, it was on/from the old NOM board. I bashed him a bit there.

Ahh the good old days. :biggrin:

I totally agree with you. Many people bash Bill because he is "supporting an evil organization" (see his Infants on Thrones interview for an example) but I see public non-conformity as one of the most dangerous things to LDS orthodoxy, which

The LDS church has been running a version of Asche's conformity experiment since Young's reformation and people like Bill ruin the effect. He won't change the brethren's mind but he will make it easier for people who think like him to express themselves publicly, and the brethren lose more of their grip every time that happens.

Edit: fixed MD's autocorrection for the abbreviation for the podcast above
Last edited by Guest on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

RockSlider wrote:I'm one who does not like the push for Nuanced (progressive) Mormonism. I say walk away.
Me too.

If you think that there is in reality a god that is behind the LDS truth claims, then it is at one's utter eternal peril that he or she does not buy into 'the whole enchilada'.

Otherwise, any good that the LDS have has been co-opted from other sources, nothing original. One does not need to pick his or her lunch of good items from the LDS cafeteria, where they might be contaminated by being next to some rancid items. The same and often better items are found elsewhere.

The LDS proposition is all or nothing. And for me, it's just another nothing burger.
_DBMORMON
_Emeritus

Post by _DBMORMON »

I appreciate the comments thus far. I will follow along and chime in if a question is asked or an interesting comment made that begs me to say something. but otherwise I am intrigued by the conversation.
http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ - Strengthening Feeble Knees and Lifting Hands that Hang Down
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Really looking forward to hearing Bill's interview with John Dehlin!
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I thought you did a great job answering Dehlin's questions. However, I have to wonder whether John is right in that you are merely a few years behind him in his journey out. In my opinion, I don't think there is a way one can stay, given the thousands of problems history and logic show, especially when the leaders refuse to give any meaningful financial disclosure. Even so, I agree that you provide a great service to those who are having questions.

Also, John was dead on when he said that your court of love will come if your pass the line where you are more of a problem to the brethren than the bad publicity taking you out would cause. The church organization comes first with them regardless of whomever is in the way.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_DBMORMON
_Emeritus

Post by _DBMORMON »

Exiled wrote:I thought you did a great job answering Dehlin's questions. However, I have to wonder whether John is right in that you are merely a few years behind him in his journey out.

I am wondering the same thing. I think disaffection with the dominant narrative of Mormonism is a common trajectory.
http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ - Strengthening Feeble Knees and Lifting Hands that Hang Down
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

My hope is that the LDS hierarchy will make a place for people like Bill. Anyone who says that the church is all or nothing/black or white is ignorantly or consciously hiding something. That is a stance inspired by fear rather than love. Personally, I'm a little farther down the road than Bill, but if the church could accept a more nuanced stance, I could move back.

For me, the battle isn't the church vs the world, it's truth and love vs power. I see the church as trying to play on both sides. As any human led organization probably would.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

This is the first of Bill's podcast's that I listened to.

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ ... -bad-days/

I don't know if you remember Bill but I gave you a hard time about how this was going to lead to your excommunication and wondered why you would put your family through that.

My hobby horse is why do we re-indoctrinate yet another generation. Well the good news seems to be that the younger generations, having so many other avenues of information than us Baby Boomers and Grand generation, are making decisions on their own.

My grandchildren are 10+ years younger than your oldest. I hope there are some Bill Reel's in their wards are they grow.

I guess I'm glad for your children who no longer attend, and yet I'm sure the whole Mormon journey is and will continue to be an ordeal for them as it is for all of us with family and friends still in.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I liked how in the first part of the interview, Bill says he has audio of John Lynch from FAIRMormon saying that the LDS Church sometimes asks him to keep tabs on alternative voices in the bloggernacle, and how John Lynch is happy to comply with passing along information when asked.

Then in the second part of the interview, John Lynch comes out of the weeds to show he is listening to the podcast by submitting a comment to John Dehlin.

You just can't make this stuff up!
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)