Biggest whopper, Elder Holland or Grant Palmer?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Re: Biggest whopper, Elder Holland or Grant Palmer?

Post by _deacon blues »

It's sad but likely that Grant Palmer is making his statements in the twilight of his earthly life. Such circumstances have been used to enhance the testimony of everyone from Mormon to Joseph Smith. Unless Grant pulls a last minute recant like Korihor, his last words should be considered likewise as serious.
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

There is nothing implausible about a church official having doubts about the gospel, nor is there anything implausible about a doubter seeking out a prominent ex-Mormon writer to discuss his doubts with.

The only implausible element in Grant Palmer's story is the notion that the Q15 are all secret unbelievers, and that claim is made not by Palmer but by his source.
_Hagoth
_Emeritus

Post by _Hagoth »

Johannes wrote:There is nothing implausible about a church official having doubts about the gospel, nor is there anything implausible about a doubter seeking out a prominent ex-Mormon writer to discuss his doubts with.

I find it very telling that when the church excommunicated James Hamula they rushed to get the word out that it was not for "disillusionment or apostasy." I think they are showing their cards here either in assuming that everyone would jump to that conclusion, or that it is something that is a real issue behind the curtain.

For one thing, you can't excommunicate someone for being disillusioned. Disillusionment is a synonym for disappointment.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” - Mark Twain
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

There could be other reasons a GA might say and do the things Grant said he did. Remember Joseph Smith sending young boys to spy in on apostate meetings? It seems unlikely but possible. The more I think about it the more unlikely it seems.