Hamula released from 1st Quorum of 70, no longer a member

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Hamula released from 1st Quorum of 70, no longer a membe

Post by _I have a question »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
I have a question wrote:
The Church disagrees.

Please help me understand. So if the church disagrees why didn't it tell us what the guy did?

You'd have to ask them that.

Clearly they wanted everyone to know Hamula had been excommunicated.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
I have a question wrote:
Because 59 year olds don't have affairs? You seriously think that?

I assume they do, but Hamula was a good Mormon all his life. When he was younger he didn't get in trouble when he had a higher sex drive, and because he was religious and conservative he likely didn't have a longer allele DRD4.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/scientists ... d=12322891

It is possible he committed adultery, but I don't think it is very likely. I say it is more likely he didn't, so that is why, " I doubt he committed adultery."

59 is plenty young enough, and adultery in many cases doesn't happen unless certain conditions present themselves. Conditions that most may never see in a lifetime. I suspect many people who have not committed adultery would if certain conditions presented themselves.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
I have a question wrote:
The Church disagrees.

Please help me understand. So if the church disagrees why didn't it tell us what the guy did?

They did say he did something bad enough to get excommunicated and bad enough they wanted everyone to know he did something bad. I do think he deserves privacy, but it's a lot harder if the church makes it public that he did something the church didn't like.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

I have a question wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:The guy is almost 60 years old, I doubt he committed adultery.

Because 59 year olds don't have affairs? You seriously think that?
Huh...I feel like I have been put out into the pasture here..I am 61...but I am not dead.. :rolleyes:
_Servant
_Emeritus

Post by _Servant »

I'd go with the fact that Hamula may have opposed Oaks and his business deals. Oaks didn't like it, told him to back off, Hamula told him where to get off his apostolic fanny, and booooooooooooooooooom, excommunication. Sounds like what went on in the early days of Mormonism when Joey Smith booted out anybody who questioned whether this sex acts were biblical! Let's face it, Monson is not controlling anything and hasn't for a long time - Oaks has taken up the scepter and won't tolerate any feedback or objections. Of course, this is speculation, but it makes sense. And I think the above poster is right, if Hamula was messing around I'm sure it would have been quickly swept under the rug with all the rest of the sexual stuff the cult is notorious for, even in these days. This is most likely about POWER. A MACHO EXCOMMUNICATION!

Maybe Oaks is feeling his Oats - isnt he after Nelson who is 92 years old. Just sayin.......................