Chiasmus Jubilee - starring Elders Uchtdorf & Holland

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Chiasmus Jubilee - starring Elders Uchtdorf & Holland

Post by _Kishkumen »

ClarkGoble wrote:Chiasmus is significant for exegesis I think. But it was vastly overhyped in the early 90's and made to be something it wasn't - strong evidence for Hebrew. At best it's part of a circumstantial argument but in itself doesn't establish much. But like other types of Hebrew poetry or the like, they are important.

Well said.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Chiasmus- a literary device found in ancient literature,including Mother Goose. See: Hickory, Dickory, Dock. :surprised:
_JudgemeGod
_Emeritus

Post by _JudgemeGod »

I could not keep quite on this one. Chiasmus or what ever you want to call it is a method for oral story tellers to help keep their stories straight. I am sure none of you are old enough to have listened to a real story teller. One who travels and tells his trade from town to town. I have as a child I listened to a very good story teller. They are better then books and movies. They capture your attention for hours. They connect and pull you in. This art form is dying.
The hero's journey is a "chiasmus' when he comes home the tale is complete.
You will see them where ever a story has gone form verbal to written.
Greek, Samarian, Hebrew, iroquois, romani.

It does not indicate where the story came from but it does indicate that it was a story teller that created it and then written down. You can take a break and go right back were you left off as long as you pause at the top or bottom of the stack of the story. You can use a stick or story beads, to keep great stories straight.

Humans sure have short memories.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

JudgemeGod wrote:I could not keep quite on this one. Chiasmus or what ever you want to call it is a method for oral story tellers to help keep their stories straight. I am sure none of you are old enough to have listened to a real story teller. One who travels and tells his trade from town to town. I have as a child I listened to a very good story teller. They are better then books and movies. They capture your attention for hours. They connect and pull you in. This art form is dying.

It does not indicate where the story came from but it does indicate that it was a story teller that created it and then written down. You can take a break and go right back were you left off as long as you pause at the top or bottom of the stack of the story. You can use a stick or story beads, to keep great stories straight.

Lucy's 1853 autobiography, Biographical Sketches of Joseph Smith the Prophet, and His Progenitors for many Generations was considered inaccurate by Brigham Young and was ordered to be rewritten. The reasons for this had nothing to do with Lucy's account of her son Joseph's "amusing recitals." The 1853 autobiography and the 1845 manuscript upon which it was based still exist, and both confirm that the "amusing recitals" mentioned by Lucy were done during the period during which Joseph was being instructed by the angel as he waited to retrieve the gold plates. Lucy Mack Smith said the following in her 1853 autobiography:

"During our evening conversations, Joseph would occasionally give us some of the most amusing recitals that could be imagined. He would describe the ancient inhabitants of this continent, their dress, mode of travelings, and the animals upon which they rode; their cities, their buildings, with every particular; their mode of warfare; and also their religious worship. This he would do with as much ease, seemingly, as if he had spent his whole life among them."[1]

https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Jose ... nhabitants
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

I have a question wrote:
JudgemeGod wrote:I could not keep quite on this one. Chiasmus or what ever you want to call it is a method for oral story tellers to help keep their stories straight. I am sure none of you are old enough to have listened to a real story teller. One who travels and tells his trade from town to town. I have as a child I listened to a very good story teller. They are better then books and movies. They capture your attention for hours. They connect and pull you in. This art form is dying.

Lucy's 1853 autobiography, Biographical Sketches of Joseph Smith the Prophet, and His Progenitors for many Generations was considered inaccurate by Brigham Young and was ordered to be rewritten. The reasons for this had nothing to do with Lucy's account of her son Joseph's "amusing recitals." The 1853 autobiography and the 1845 manuscript upon which it was based still exist, and both confirm that the "amusing recitals" mentioned by Lucy were done during the period during which Joseph was being instructed by the angel as he waited to retrieve the gold plates. Lucy Mack Smith said the following in her 1853 autobiography:

"During our evening conversations, Joseph would occasionally give us some of the most amusing recitals that could be imagined. He would describe the ancient inhabitants of this continent, their dress, mode of travelings, and the animals upon which they rode; their cities, their buildings, with every particular; their mode of warfare; and also their religious worship. This he would do with as much ease, seemingly, as if he had spent his whole life among them."[1]

https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Jose ... nhabitants

Yep, JSjr could spin a yarn. That's for sure.
_JudgemeGod
_Emeritus

Post by _JudgemeGod »

I love seeing how people respond to great discoveries like chiasms it gives them hope that there is more then just a story.

Joseph was a great story teller. I have looked at the Book of Mormon word by word and have been greatly impressed.
The part I like the best that tells a lot about the author is the first verse. I know of no other main religious book that starts with such arrogance. "I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father"

The name Nephi means beautiful in Egyptian ( taken from the Catholic Bible )
So it starts
I am beautiful have great parents and am intelligent and blessed

I like this because it tells us right away what we are dealing with.
Joseph was a great story teller and he often projected himself as Nephi

I wish them well at their Chiasmus Jubilee and may it bring them hope
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

The End
Professor Jones had been working on time theory for many years.

"And I have found the key equation," he told his daughter one day.
"Time is a field.
This machine I have made can manipulate, even reverse, that field."

Pushing a button as he spoke, he said,
"This should make time run backward
¤
backward run time make should this,"
said he, spoke he as button a pushing.

"Field that, reverse even, manipulate can made have I machine this.
Field is a time."
Day one daughter his told he, "Equation key the found have I and."

"Years many for theory time on working been had Jones Professor."
End The

by Fredric Brown, 1961
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson