LDS mayor excommunicated for refusing to be prophet's puppet

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

LDS mayor excommunicated for refusing to be prophet's puppet

Post by _Dr. Shades »

I can't believe this didn't become news far, far earlier.

According to the author of this soon-to-be-linked weblog post, back in 2008 he was a member of the LDS church and serving as a mayor. The Mormon hierarchy told him to withdraw some legislation he had submitted to the, uh, legislature. When he refused to do so, more or less pointing out the separation between church and state, they ramped up the intimidation by threatening him with excommunication if he didn't comply.

He went public with the behind-the-scenes attempt at political manipulation, then was excommunicated for (what amounted to) insubordination.

Here's the post in question. Be sure to read the comments, because they contain important follow-up information:

https://blogs4conservatives.wordpress.c ... li-update/
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: LDS mayor excommunicated for refusing to be political pu

Post by _I have a question »

there is no doubt President Thomas S. Monson participated in the breaking of Federal law regarding tax exempt status and the non-compulsive requirements of legislative issues.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_spiesonsunday
_Emeritus

Re: LDS mayor excommunicated for refusing to be political pu

Post by _spiesonsunday »

Hopefully Pres. Plum will be too, if it hasn't happened already.
Got Cha!!!
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: LDS mayor excommunicated for refusing to be prophet's pu

Post by _moksha »

Couldn't this be justified in the same manner by which certain Mormon D&D members are able to deny they are a moderator? It is through the doctrine of "Lying for the Board". The Brethren will deny that they ever try to directly influence political decisions.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_no thanks
_Emeritus

Post by _no thanks »

After reading more articles the guy kind of comes off as a crank.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I would expect a development of the statement along the lines, I proposed this idea, it was criticized for this reason and I decided to go ahead anyway. I did not find any specifics about what he was talking about.This frustrates my curiosity. It also makes suspicious about the story.
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

At one time the Catholic Church threatened politicians with excommunication who voted for capital punishment or abortion legislation. I applaud that church for using its influence to resist the tide of barbarism.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Yahoo Bot wrote:At one time the Catholic Church threatened politicians with excommunication who voted for capital punishment or abortion legislation. I applaud that church for using its influence to resist the tide of barbarism.

Was that before or since the Great Apostasy?

Was that before or since it became the whore of all the earth?
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

After. After.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

no thanks wrote:After reading more articles the guy kind of comes off as a crank.

Agreed, seemed to have some MMM hobby horse where I am missing the connection.