Just remember it's ok for a bishop to ask sexual questions..

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Just remember it's ok for a bishop to ask sexual questions..

Post by _Sanctorian »

...one on one during youth interviews, but it's not ok for Savannah to talk about her sexuality during F&T meeting.

Here's the exact questions asked to baptismal candidates. A variation of these questions are asked yearly during youth interviews. If the church doesn't believe sexual attraction happens until much later in life, why ask about chastity during youth interviews?

4. Have you ever committed a serious crime? If so, are you now on probation or parole? Have you ever participated in an abortion? a homosexual relationship?
5. You have been taught that membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints includes living gospel standards. What do you understand of the following standards? Are you willing to obey them?
a. The law of chastity, which prohibits any sexual relationship outside the bonds of a legal marriage between a man and a woman.

https://www.lds.org/manual/preach-my-gospel-a-guide-to-missionary-service/how-do-i-prepare-people-for-baptism-and-confirmation?lang=eng
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: Just remember it's ok for a bishop to ask sexual questio

Post by _Chap »

Water Dog wrote:I agree this line of questioning from the bishop is inappropriate. That said though, there is a clear distinction between such discussions happening in private vs. over the pulpit.

Indeed.

The idea of such conversations happening in private between an authority figure male and a teenager of either gender is much more to be deplored than open discussion of these matters in a public space.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Water Dog wrote:
Chap wrote:Indeed.

The idea of such conversations happening in private between an authority figure male and a teenager of either gender is much more to be deplored than open discussion of these matters in a public space.

Well thanks for your opinion, a lot of people happen to disagree with you. I guess it's a good thing we have the freedom of association.

Yup. No doubt there are many teenagers who are really pestering their parents to let them go and talk to the bishop about their sexuality, citing their constitutional right to free association.

'Mom! Please, please let me go and associate with the bishop!! When he looks at me with those little beads of sweat on his forehead and asks me about ... that stuff ... I really feel the, um, Spirit so ... so definitely.'
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Water Dog wrote:
Chap wrote:Indeed.

Well thanks for your opinion, a lot of people happen to disagree with you. I guess it's a good thing we have the freedom of association.

Chap wrote:Yup. No doubt there are many teenagers who are really pestering their parents to let them go and talk to the bishop about their sexuality, citing their constitutional right to free association.

'Mom! Please, please let me go and associate with the bishop!! When he looks at me with those little beads of sweat on his forehead and asks me about ... that stuff ... I really feel the, um, Spirit so ... so definitely.'

No doubt. :rolleyes: Somehow I don't see Water Dog providing a reference any time soon for those "lot[s] of people" who disagree.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

4. Have you ever committed a serious crime? If so, are you now on probation or parole? Have you ever participated in an abortion? a homosexual relationship?

Lumping "serious crime" into the same question asking about "homosexual relationship" truly shows the ugly colors of the LDS church. The church is fighting a war against gays and gays will fight back. I consider the LDS church to be the greatest enemy to gay rights in the USA. Mormons are guilty of slandering gays left and right and we will fight back, hard and furious.

The church is going to lose this war, so help me. Is the time fast approaching when the LGBT movement starts to picket every temple in the USA? If the Mormons want a war, they will get it.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Lemmie wrote:
Chap wrote:
Yup. No doubt there are many teenagers who are really pestering their parents to let them go and talk to the bishop about their sexuality, citing their constitutional right to free association.

No doubt. :rolleyes: Somehow I don't see Water Dog providing a reference any time soon for those "lot[s] of people" who disagree.

See above for his failed attempt to provide an example of teenagers eager to discuss their private activities with the bishop ...
Zadok:
Maksutov:
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Sancorian and I were discussing this very topic several years ago.

If I remember correctly, Sanctorian told me it would be okay for the bishop to interview his children, but that he would attend those interviews and be with his children.

I remember thinking what a great idea. No parent should ever let their young children ever be alone with the bishop, no matter how great he may seem. Especially if those types of questions are going to be asked.

It's just common sense and we've all read the numerous horror stories that keep popping up about bishops molesting children in their wards.

Any bishop worth his weight will have no problem allowing the parent attend any interview with their child.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014