Little girl has her mic turned off during F&T meeting

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: Little girl has her mic turned off during F&T meeting

Post by _Chap »

Congratulations to the CoJCoLDS, and particularly to the guy who decided to spare the church embarrassment by switching off that microphone ... it seems that things are working out just as he hoped. Well, more like not.

The story has now crossed the pond, and is in the widely respected British newspaper The Guardian. You can see the original video, a lengthy analysis of the changes in policy towards gays, AND an interview with the girl and her mother - both of which are rather enlightening to those who seem to think the girl was set up to do this by her parents.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video ... urch-video
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

To the public, the church says we welcome all. See Elder Holland's GC talk for example about wanting everybody in the choir. (Note, however, that Elder Holland makes it clear you have to sing the correct words to be in the choir!)

But what happens inside church buildings is a different matter. Inside the church, there simply is no space for voicing a dissenting opinion, even when done respectfully as was done here by this very brave 12-year old girl.

No. Inside the church walls, if you go off script, your mic gets cut. Which makes one thing very clear.

When it comes to choosing between following the prophet and following Jesus by loving others, following the prophet trumps every single time!
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

consiglieri wrote:When it comes to choosing between following the prophet and following Jesus by loving others, following the prophet trumps every single time!

Because Jesus wasn't enough. He needed tweaking.

I'm sorry. I can't look at your words without thinking that.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Nomomo
_Emeritus

Post by _Nomomo »

Forgive me for not being willing to read all 19 pages this thread has so far to see if my question may have been mentioned or answered already, but who exactly filmed this video?
The Universe is stranger than we can imagine.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Nomomo wrote:Forgive me for not being willing to read all 19 pages this thread has so far to see if my question may have been mentioned or answered already, but who exactly filmed this video?

I believe I've read somewhere that it was filmed by a family friend who attended specifically to witness the girls testimony.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_NewNameNoah
_Emeritus

Post by _NewNameNoah »

Nomomo wrote:Forgive me for not being willing to read all 19 pages this thread has so far to see if my question may have been mentioned or answered already, but who exactly filmed this video?

Savannah attended Rainbow Mutual and had several of her teen friends there to support her. There are THREE different camera angles of her testimony.
The truth is a lot easier to see when you stop assuming you already have it.