Uchtdorf - family trip or tithing-funded junket?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Uchtdorf - family trip or tithing-funded junket?

Post by _I have a question »

Here's the first description from the current FP Message...
A few months ago, my wife, Harriet, and I were on a family trip with some of our children in the Mediterranean area. We visited some refugee camps and met with families from war-torn countries. These people were not of our faith, but they were our brothers and sisters and they urgently needed help. Our hearts were deeply touched when we experienced firsthand how the active faith of our Church members brings help, relief, and hope to our fellowmen in need, regardless of their religion, nationality, or education.

https://www.lds.org/liahona/2017/04/the ... _&lang=eng

And the second from the Deseret News original report of the trip back in July 2016...
ATHENS, GREECE — Days after presenting $3 million to the World Food Programme to help refugees, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf visited refugee camps in Athens, Greece, on Friday.

“These refugees are our brothers and sisters; all of us are God’s children," said President Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and a former refugee. "The gratitude we saw in the eyes of these refugees for the generosity and kindness of our church members will never be forgotten. I could deeply feel the bond of love and compassion with these stranded families.”

Hosted by Catholic Relief Services and International Rescue Committee, President Uchtdorf visited two camps located near Athens — the Piraeus camp, which serves 1,332 people, and the Eleonas camp, a temporary home to about 2,415 people.

The refugee visits came one week after President Uchtdorf met with Ertharin Cousin, executive director of the World Food Programme, and Sandy Westlake, head of partnerships in the Private Sector Division of World Food Programme, at the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora in Rome, Italy. On July 17, he presented the organization with $3 million from LDS Charities, which will be divided to help refugees and internally displaced people in Syria, Cameroon and Chad.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... ugees.html

So, not a family trip at all.

Just how many of Dieters family went on this trip and who paid for them?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Re: Uchtdorf - family trip or tithing-funded junket?

Post by _sock puppet »

I have a question wrote:Just how many of Dieters family went on this trip and who paid for them?

Probably all five of his children: Ivanka, Donald Jr, Eric, Tiffany and Barron.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Re: Uchtdorf - family trip or tithing-funded junket?

Post by _kairos »

beware of Mormons bearing money- next thing will be 80000 mishs doing service in the refugee camps in exchange for receiving the lessons-ugh!