$2.5 million of Church funds given to a museum.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

$2.5 million of Church funds given to a museum.

Post by _I have a question »

According to The Washington Post, the MoAR is the “first museum devoted to the country’s earliest years.” The Post explains that while other museums explore aspects of the American Revolution, this is the first devoted specifically to the American Revolution.

The MoAR “tells the complete story of the American revolutionary era that dates from 1760 to 1783, when the 13 American colonies broke away from the British Empire and formed the United States of America,” according to Mormon Newsroom.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... llion.html
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: $2.5 million of Church funds given to a museum.

By comparison...
On behalf of the Mormon church, four female leaders donated $120,000 on Thursday to community centers in Utah to expand medical services for children who have been abused.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5195613-155/ ... 00-to-help
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

WTF again? and only American museums.
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

DoubtingThomas wrote:WTF again? and only American museums.

Well, it is a New York, Ohio, Missouri, Illinois Utah church, after all.

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't all member donations from the UK and Canada, after local expenses are paid, get funneled back to the US by a large donation to BYU?
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

General Question to all,

Out of interest, how much of your tithing has the Church donated back to good causes in your area?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

I told someone yesterday that this donation to a museum in Philadelphia was in no way connected to the planning acceptance process for the Philadelphia Temple. There's no way it's connected....right?
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

I have a question wrote:

I told someone yesterday that this donation to a museum in Philadelphia was in no way connected to the planning acceptance process for the Philadelphia Temple. There's no way it's connected....right?

I think Bill and Ted are very certain about this.
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

A “significant portion” of the church’s donation was used to build the museum’s discovery center, which is set to open in the fall of 2017 and is sponsored by FamilySearch.

“The discovery center will include digital interactive exhibits for children and families, as well as tactile exhibits to help individuals connect personally with the Revolutionary War,” Mormon Newsroom reported. “Many people will be able to continue their journey to discovery at FamilySearch.org if they have ancestors who fought for the cause of freedom.”

Stephen Rockwood, managing director of the church’s Family History Department and the CEO of FamilySearch, elaborated on the motivation behind the church’s donation.

“As the patrons immerse themselves in these experiences at the museum, not only will they learn more of what life was like, but their hearts will definitely turn,” he said. “Their hearts will turn to their homeland, whether it’s an ancestral homeland or a brand-new homeland for immigrants. Their hearts will turn to their fathers and their hearts will turn to each other. And that’s why we do this.”

Why would the church pay $2.5 million to buy a section of the museum to push Familysearch and genealogy? Is this related to the $60 million ancestry.com deal?
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

CameronMO wrote:Why would the church pay $2.5 million to buy a section of the museum to push Familysearch and genealogy? Is this related to the $60 million ancestry.com deal?

or they could have use the 2.5 million to improve Family Search and genealogy, or maybe invest it in artificial intelligence for genealogy search.

What is the 60 million ancestry deal?
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
CameronMO wrote:Why would the church pay $2.5 million to buy a section of the museum to push Familysearch and genealogy? Is this related to the $60 million ancestry.com deal?

or they could have use the 2.5 million to improve Family Search and genealogy, or maybe invest it in artificial intelligence for genealogy search.

What is the 60 million ancestry deal?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31067

I think there's some links in there to the news articles.